The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
2021 Evora GT, 1986 Turbo Esprit
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On my 2021 GT, the tender has been just fine up until recently. Now the light on the tender stays solid green whether it is plugged into the car or not. Unplugging it from the wall did not help. I searched the Evora threads and found something about replacing the inline fuse, which I did. No luck. Any other thoughts?

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
It is important to have a good battery tender that will switch to maintenance mode. I searched and bought the Deltran Battery Tender Plus, 1.25 amp charger. Still happy 2 1/2 years later.
☝THIS
whether that charger or a different one, chargers are cheap. Head over to any auto shop, or Battey-plus and pick up a new one.

·
2021 Evora GT, 1986 Turbo Esprit
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You are all confirming what I thought. The Lotus branded one is the Deltran Tender Plus. I setup the magnetic connection so I definitely want the same type of connector. I happen to have the same one on my Esprit (which is wired in such that I can't easily remove it to test on the Evora). I will pick up a new one.

·
Premium Member
9,688 Posts
I have 4 deltrans. never had a problem 2-500mV units....great for winter storage , an old 2amp and a newer 3Amp. But, one bad electrical tickle from ma T-storm etc and they could fail. Cheap replacement.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I have a 4 bank Battery Tender. One of the 4 went bad but I still have the other 3. It happens, they can die. Anyway, I feed the cord in through the window and plug it into the cig lighter. This works well and just fine under the cover.
Joel

·
Administrator
14,511 Posts
Get a proper battery maintainer. It will desulfate lead acid batteries and do lithium as well. It will do trickle down and then maintain the battery.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Try the tender on another car.
If it doesn't work on that car, it's time for a new tender. (which is likely the case, as they should show red when unplugged I believe, but might depend on your model)

If the tender does work on the other car,. well, maybe it's time for a new Evora ;)

I had one of my "Battery Tender Junior"s go bad on me, and was able repair it by soldering in a new resistor. (youtube helped). However it was doing the opposite of what yours was doing, as mine was never turning green at all.

·
Less is Better
3,427 Posts
Try the tender on another car.
If it doesn't work on that car, it's time for a new tender. (which is likely the case, as they should show red when unplugged I believe, but might depend on your model)

If the tender does work on the other car,. well, maybe it's time for a new Evora ;)

I had one of my "Battery Tender Junior"s go bad on me, and was able repair it by soldering in a new resistor. (youtube helped). However it was doing the opposite of what yours was doing, as mine was never turning green at all.
I wonder how many electronic devices have been thrown away because of a dead 50 cent part. I've repaired computer monitors and big screen TVs for about a dollar that would have otherwise gone into a landfill and cost $1000 to replace.

·
Dreaded Prior Owner
1,000 Posts
I've had great service from my set of 5 Battery Tenders (.75,1.25 & 3Amp); most purchased before more advanced ones were available. On the other hand I've had several batteries die on other 6-15 amp chargers, which have run a battery up to 16+ volts and boiled it. I've since added $3 eBay voltmeters to the front panel of most of my high amp chargers and can monitor them while charging.
+1 on opening up the dead charger, You can't break it more than broke, and I've fixed one of the smaller Deltrons, although I don't remember what I replaced inside.

·
Premium Member
2,882 Posts
I wonder how many electronic devices have been thrown away because of a dead 50 cent part. I've repaired computer monitors and big screen TVs for about a dollar that would have otherwise gone into a landfill and cost $1000 to replace.
An exorbitant amount, no doubt. There used to be a whole industry for electronics repair, for those unwilling/unable to self-diagnose/repair, but that too has dried up. That's U.S. consumerism for you. I suppose it helps drive the economy in other ways, but it's quite wasteful and bad for the environment.

·
Premium Member
3,510 Posts
I currently have 17 Deltran Battery Tenders hooked up in all different varieties (800mA weather resistant, 1.25 A, 3A, 4A, 6V/12V). In well over 20 years, I have only had one issue... the LED on one of my 800mA weather resistant tenders stopped working. However, it still charges as it should. I have not attempted to try a repair since its weather resistant and actually used outdoors. I just regularly monitor it.

One of my brothers did have an older model totally crap out after 20 years or so. I'd say he got his money out of it though.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts