The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
2005 Lotus Elise
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Doing some forward planning for the wintertime. I searched but all I could find was some old threads about the best current Battery Tender/Trickle Charger. I would like to buy one and would like some direction on which one to get. I try to drive my Elise once a week but the battery didnt have full charge this morning so I had to jump her. Any suggestions on a Battery Tender? My battery currently has a charger port on it but did not come with a Tender.

20200915_141735.jpg

·
Registered
131 Posts
I like Battery Tender. It seems to me that they are well-built and reliable. The port on your picture looks like a Battery Tender port.

·
Registered
2005 Lotus Elise
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I like Battery Tender. It seems to me that they are well-built and reliable. The port on your picture looks like a Battery Tender port.
Is there a certain model I should look for?

·
Registered
131 Posts
I notice that there are a lot of new products on the site since the last time that I looked, but this bad boy is the one that I have bought in the past. I buy them at Pep Boys or motorcycle shops. You should be able to look one over at a local retailer before you buy.

·
Registered
121 Posts
I'm using a Battery Tender Junior 800 with the adapter that lets me charge it through the cigarette lighter.

·
Registered
246 Posts

I use the Lotus branded charger for my Evora. It has a dual light indicator to let you know if it's faulted or charging. It's worked well for me so far.

·
Registered
2005 Lotus Elise
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Registered
2005 Lotus Elise Nightfall Blue
43 Posts
The lotus branded charger is definitely a battery tender. When I first saw a picture of one I thought it was just a photoshop job of a battery tender as a joke about how fast an Elise/Exige kills a battery... Lol.

I use a battery tender I originally bought for a motorcycle, but I think it's basically the same specs as the Lotus branded one.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Battery Tender 1.25 amp. One is for the gel cell in the Formula car, on it always unless on track...other for the Esprit directly on the battery terminals...it goes on as soon as I get out of the car in the garage, stays on until I drive next.

·
Registered
2005 Lotus Elise
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
How much extra you paying for the Lotus emblem on it?
69.95 total price. If I ever sell the Lotus, I look at it as a plus to have a "Official" Lotus Battery Tender. ¯\(ツ)

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
The battery tender needs to match the installed battery. Tender Jr is great for my Scooter and Odessey PC680.

·
Registered
10 Posts
The Lotus battery tender is a re-branded Deltran Battery Tender Plus. They are great units. I have 7 of them in my garage connected to a power strip and that power strip is connected to a 7 day timer. The timer runs 18 hours on one day each week for the 7 vehicles. Had great success with this configuration for both lead acid and lithium batteries, specifically Shorai, who indicate that the Deltran Battery Tender Plus is compatible with their batteries as it doesn't have a desulfation mode.

·
Hickory, NC
977 Posts
I bought 4 Junior chargers for my cars.
Works great and got all 4 for $100 on eBay. I’ve noticed the acid water level drop on the motorcycle after staying hooked up for long periods. The battery case is easily see through and I added 50/50 mix back but in a few months it’s back down again. I think I’m going to a timer set up now and hit it a few hours a day instead

·
Registered
13 Posts
Costco had a pallet-full of whatever brand they have vetted, called "DelTran." I bought it and keep it plugged in all the time. FOUR years later, my battery is still working fine.

·
Registered
2011 Evora NA 6MT
101 Posts
I picked up an Autozone Duralast battery minder, it cost me $40 and has the same leads to connect to your battery like the battery tender brands. In the last year I've used it on my garage queens and it's done great with keeping the battery up to snuff.

·
Registered
6 Posts
This is by far the best tender as it connects via wifi and you can turn on/off remotely and monitor remotely as well. I have two of these for my car collection and have not had any problems and have used them for nearly 4 years now. I used to own a Battery Tender and it worked great, just like all the other good tenders, but the remote monitoring and management is the killer aspect of this one. I can keep track of car's battery status from anywhere.

·
Registered
2020 Evora GT in Formula Red, coordinated black+red interior, windowed engine hatch
384 Posts
Battery Tender brand (which is what Lotus ships as Lotus-branded standard equipment with Evoras) has always had a great reputation. I've used them for years and never had a complaint, with the one caveat that you should get the larger units (1.25 amps or more) and not the wall wart sub-1A units as the latter can struggle to bring back a more heavily discharged battery. Not a fault, just too small for automotive sized batteries - I think those are better suited for lawn tractor sized batteries.

The connector in the OP's photo is standard Battery Tender equipment. It will literally plug straight in.

·
Premium Member
74 Posts
I'm using a Battery Tender Junior 800 with the adapter that lets me charge it through the cigarette lighter.
Could you elaborate with any more details? I'm interested in this.

I went to start my Exige today and the battery had died.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts