The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Is it possible to maintain our batteries on the Elise (mine's an '07) with a trickle charger that uses our "cigarette" lighter / auxiliary power port inside the cabin?
In other words, instead of hooking up to the battery terminals, use an adapter for the cigarette plug adapter?

·
Registered
2006 Lotus Elise
1,593 Posts
I used to rely on a trickle charger, but eventually replaced my lead acid battery with a lithium battery wired into a kill switch. The car can now sit for many weeks with the switch off, and it always starts right up. I mention this only because its one of my favorite mods I've done. The lithium battery is so simple, lightweight and clean compared to the original. Very elegant solution.

·
Registered
324 Posts
I used to rely on a trickle charger, but eventually replaced my lead acid battery with a lithium battery wired into a kill switch. The car can now sit for many weeks with the switch off, and it always starts right up. I mention this only because its one of my favorite mods I've done. The lithium battery is so simple, lightweight and clean compared to the original. Very elegant solution.
yup a kill switch is the way to go. used to trickle charge every opportunity I got but still got a dead battery. since I added a kill switch a few years ago and it was a life changer and it is actually a lots more convenient than a trickle changer. the only problem is resetting the clock every time which I dont even bother.

·
Registered
2005 Elise
384 Posts
yup a kill switch is the way to go. used to trickle charge every opportunity I got but still got a dead battery. since I added a kill switch a few years ago and it was a life changer and it is actually a lots more convenient than a trickle changer. the only problem is resetting the clock every time which I dont even bother.
if you have an aftermarket radio, check to see if it can update the clock from FM station info. Mine will sync the clock using local radio stations within a minute of turning the kill switch on. nice detail if available to you.

·
Administrator
13,551 Posts
You might want to consider a battery maintainer rather than straight trickle charger.

Reactions: StressCraxx

·
Registered
225 Posts
These days, the terms are used kind of interchangeably. Any decent device you buy will charge, and then float your battery when charged. They tend to have profiles for both sealed (wet) lead-acid batteries, and AGM batteries. They even tend to have reverse polarity protection. But it's good to check that yours can do all of those.

The problem with a battery shut-off switch is that it tends to reset not only your radio preferences, but often also your fuel and other stored trims, and your emissions readiness status. This may not be a problem, in which case, great! Some cars do not do well with regularly being reset, they kind of run like crap every time you go to start them until they've re-learned.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts