The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, So i tried charging my elise with a Battery Companion

And im getting a "trouble light" after a few mins. It does start fine and "charges, after a few mins it goes to charging + trouble then straight to just "trouble"

Ive read the sticky "Battery Choices and Information" not sure if it is "Dying" due to sulfation? I jumped the car a few weeks ago and it was fine and was able to drive. But i have not drove since then. Here is a pic of the battery if it helps

thanks in advance!

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
Do you have a multimeter? If so, what is the current voltage of the battery?

Maybe the voltage is too low for the "smart charger" to register and initiate the charge, you might want to jump the car again then drive for a bit, then put it back on the maintainer.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Sometimes I've had the battery go flat to the point a trickle charger can't do anything. Put it on a good medium or high power charger (or take it to any auto parts store) to get the charge up a bit, then it can trickle the rest of the way.

·
Registered
572 Posts
Sometimes I've had the battery go flat to the point a trickle charger can't do anything. Put it on a good medium or high power charger (or take it to any auto parts store) to get the charge up a bit, then it can trickle the rest of the way.
+1

I've experienced the exact same thing, and my trickle charger looks just like the OP's.

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
excellent suggestion by MConte05, you can always take it to autozone, they will charge your battery and evaluate it for free, hard to say no to free electricity.

·
Registered
6,961 Posts
Here is a tip.
If the battery voltage is too low, a "smart' charger will determine it is defective and not charge it.
The answer is to put a second good battery in parallel with the first and then charge.
Michael

1 - 7 of 7 Posts