The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need some help/advice on next steps here with a dead Elise.

About a month ago, I let the her sit in the garage undriven for just over 2 weeks. We're having a pretty cold spell here in NJ and when I went to start her, it wasn't happening. Push the start button and it would set off a round of clicking...but no ignition. So after reading up here, I purchased the BatteryMinder Pro and hooked it up, hoping that would do the trick.

Here's the issue: On the BatteryMinder, I've got a solid red light (indicating power from the wall) and a solid green light (indicating connectivity to the battery). I've let it sit and charge for 2.5 days, but I went back today and the green light is still solid (indicating that it hasn't reached charge yet...once it hits charge, green blinks as it conditions). The directions say that this may be due to the fact that battery is too low to take a charge, and so you should hold the center button, to manually start the Desulf process. When I tried that, it still doesn't blink.

Here's the question: Am I doing something wrong? Have I not waited long enough? Is the battery just dead? etc I'm at a loss and we just had a nice weekend and I was stuck driving the DD :wallbang:

Any help is much appreciated

Thanks Much

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Need some help/advice on next steps here with a dead Elise.

About a month ago, I let the her sit in the garage undriven for just over 2 weeks. We're having a pretty cold spell here in NJ and when I went to start her, it wasn't happening. Push the start button and it would set off a round of clicking...but no ignition. So after reading up here, I purchased the BatteryMinder Pro and hooked it up, hoping that would do the trick.

Here's the issue: On the BatteryMinder, I've got a solid red light (indicating power from the wall) and a solid green light (indicating connectivity to the battery). I've let it sit and charge for 2.5 days, but I went back today and the green light is still solid (indicating that it hasn't reached charge yet...once it hits charge, green blinks as it conditions). The directions say that this may be due to the fact that battery is too low to take a charge, and so you should hold the center button, to manually start the Desulf process. When I tried that, it still doesn't blink.

Here's the question: Am I doing something wrong? Have I not waited long enough? Is the battery just dead? etc I'm at a loss and we just had a nice weekend and I was stuck driving the DD :wallbang:

Any help is much appreciated

Thanks Much
Well, the trickle chargers aren't quite meant to fully charge a completely drained battery, they're just supposed to maintain or top off a charge. tho I've read a few posts where people claim it'll charge a battery over the course of many days.

But if I'm reading correctly, your battery was drained down a month ago, and then you let it sit an additional couple weeks? (thus further letting the battery drain down?).
It's never good to let a battery drain down, and then sit uncharged.
I guess you could just let it sit for a 3-4 more days and see if it'll charge up a bit.

regardless, it's a good thing you got the Minder, to prevent it from ever draining down again.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Boost it.
Drive it.
Enjoy it.
Trickle charge it.

·
Registered
6,961 Posts
As previously stated, a "maintainer" is exactly that, meant to maintain a charged battery. There are one of two reasons it won't charge your "very" depleted battery;
a) A "smart" charger/maintainer will sense the very low charge and interpret it as a defective cell and consequently turn off.
b) The low output of a maintainer is simply not enough for a depleted battery.
You need to either "jump start it" or use a "dump" battery charger.
Be aware that when a battery is at a low charge, sulfate forms on the plates and in effect, insulates them, degrading the output. If severe it can not be reversed.
Michael

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok, one last questiuon then

I have a portable jumpstarter (basically a battery with jumper cables attached so that you don't need another car to do a jumpstart). I tried to jump the car initially when it wouldn't start, but it didn't work (lots of clicking, but no ignition)

Does that mean that the battery is just shot?

·
Registered
6,961 Posts
The battery jumper pack should start it regardless of your battery condition, however some of these packs don't have the "cranking amps" to do the job. Very important to make sure the packs clamps are making a very secure contact otherwise there will be too much resistance to start..
Michael
I have a portable jumpstarter (basically a battery with jumper cables attached so that you don't need another car to do a jumpstart). I tried to jump the car initially when it wouldn't start, but it didn't work (lots of clicking, but no ignition)

Does that mean that the battery is just shot?

·
Registered
443 Posts
The battery jumper pack should start it regardless of your battery condition, however some of these packs don't have the "cranking amps" to do the job. Very important to make sure the packs clamps are making a very secure contact otherwise there will be too much resistance to start..
Michael
BatteryMinders come in different styles. Which one do you use? What amperage does it put out? You didn't say its a maintainer. I have a BatteryMinder which can put out 2, 6 or 10 Amps. However, it can't desulpherize.

AFAIK, desulpherizing doesn't work instantaneously. Maybe you should leave it on desulpherize for a longer time. If your solenoid goes "click-click-click," the battery isn't shot.

I think jump starting is your best bet. However, as the Viper said, the battery jumper pack has to have lots of oomph. A 12V battery just cabled to the Lotus battery isn't enough. You need another car or truck running at high rpms - either put a rock on the accelerator pedal of have someone else gun it. Or, you could get a 400watts jump starter for about $50.

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
As others have pointed out, a Battery MINDer can't charge a very drained battery. Get a charge into the battery (use a regular battery charger, just it, etc.) and get it charged up somewhat. Then connect the Battery MINDer. It will then fully charge it, and kick into desulpher mode.

I've charged a very badly discharged battery (on a Miata) with a Battery MINDer. I just connected it and left it alone for a couple of weeks, and it finally charged. But I'd already replaced the battery with a new one by that time...

·
Registered
443 Posts
Correction

BatteryMinders come in different styles. Which one do you use? What amperage does it put out? You didn't say its a maintainer. I have a BatteryMinder which can put out 2, 6 or 10 Amps. However, it can't desulpherize.
Correction: its a Black & Decker model.

·
Registered
9,294 Posts
I've charged a very badly discharged battery (on a Miata) with a Battery MINDer. I just connected it and left it alone for a couple of weeks, and it finally charged.
I've done this also. It took a LONG time. I started the BatteryMinder in desulfation mode and left it for about 3.5 weeks. That got it up to about 11V. Then I put it into charge mode. All told about 1 month to get it from 1.6V back to 13.6V. Not a good thing if you need the battery soon.

·
Premium Member
11,995 Posts

AFAIK, desulpherizing doesn't work instantaneously. Maybe you should leave it on desulpherize for a longer time. If your solenoid goes "click-click-click," the battery isn't shot.

I think jump starting is your best bet. However, as the Viper said, the battery jumper pack has to have lots of oomph. A 12V battery just cabled to the Lotus battery isn't enough. You need another car or truck running at high rpms - either put a rock on the accelerator pedal of have someone else gun it. Or, you could get a 400watts jump starter for about $50.
Hey, K -

If one's solenoid goes click, it certainly could be the battery.

On an old vehicle with a Denso starter, some can have contact failure, which costs about $10 to fix.

There is 0 special about our electrical systems, so cannot see when a normal jump start w/charged battery wouldn't do it.

Yes, alternators put out more power when revved, but then most batteries are larger than ours.

Is I missing something?

-g

·
Registered
443 Posts
Hey, K -
If one's solenoid goes click, it certainly could be the battery.
Sure, the battery is low. But it may not be dead if its got enough oomph to cause the click-click-click.

There is 0 special about our electrical systems, so cannot see when a normal jump start w/charged battery wouldn't do it.

Yes, alternators put out more power when revved, but then most batteries are larger than ours.

Is I missing something?
I went through this a few weeks ago. Jumping the Elise battery with a Geo Prizm battery didn't work. Using a 300watt jump starter also didn't work. Putting a new Exide battery next to the Elise battery and jumpering it didn't work. However, a 400watt jump starter did the job. Of course, I might be totally wrong (maybe a clamp didn't make a good connection, maybe I just turned the key but didn't push the engine start button. Maybe these connections would have worked if I had left them on for half an hour. Also, YMMV.

·
Registered
6,961 Posts
Please understand that there is not such a thing as a "Jump Starter" rated in "watts". The "watts" you may be refering to is the rating of the intergral inverter, the converts DC to AC which has very little to do with the integral battery size ;)
Sure, the battery is low. But it may not be dead if its got enough oomph to cause the click-click-click.
I went through this a few weeks ago. Jumping the Elise battery with a Geo Prizm battery didn't work. Using a 300watt jump starter also didn't work. Putting a new Exide battery next to the Elise battery and jumpering it didn't work. However, a 400watt jump starter did the job. Of course, I might be totally wrong (maybe a clamp didn't make a good connection, maybe I just turned the key but didn't push the engine start button. Maybe these connections would have worked if I had left them on for half an hour. Also, YMMV.

·
Premium Member
11,995 Posts

Click: This may be a meaningless distinction, either way the battery is not starting the car.

If you haven't already, get a digital volt meter. You can take a reading at the batt terminal and another at the cables to see if they are the same. If not, bad connection.

Somewhere here I described the drop voltage test. If you put one probe in the circuit and the other down or upstream of the 1st, the DVM will show voltage loss = bad connection, break in wire, etc.

Good for testing grounds; plastic cars have difficulties w/these often.

I have a cheap one, but the best models do rpm, amps, etc.

Invaluable for working on cars and the house.

Modern cars do not like test lights or analog VM in some circuits and damage can result.

-g

·
Premium Member
11,995 Posts
Please understand that there is not such a thing as a "Jump Starter" rated in "watts". The "watts" you may be refering to is the rating of the intergral inverter, the converts DC to AC which has very little to do with the integral battery size ;)
you really are a v helpful guy.:clap:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts