The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey folks,

Just got my lotus (loving it so far!), and I personally prefer cars that purr, more than scream.

Was hoping to trade my stage II with somebody local who could come over, show me how to lift/jack my lotus, take the diffuser off, and help me uninstall the stage II (and install your stocker).

*I realize the stage II is an "upgrade", so if you want to throw in some cash, I won't say no - but mostly, I'd just like somebody to come by, and swap exhausts with me. :) And since I've never worked on a lotus before, you may have to do most of the legwork (though I'll do my best to help). Beers are on me.

One other thing - the diffuser is different for a stage II vs. a stocker, right? If so, I hope your diffuser is in great shape, because mine is! :)

PM me, or reply here, and we'll work something out. I live in San Jose, right on the border of Milpitas and Santa Clara. I have a garage we could work in, but space is tight, so if you have an open garage or driveway, I could drive out there as well.

·
Registered
5,295 Posts
This is a terrible, terrible mistake. If I were you, I'd buy a stock one for cheap and keep this one. Installation is no big deal, as long as you follow the simple rules.

·
www.theapexinn.com
11,688 Posts
I'll agree...a stock exhaust is very cheap....keep or sell the stage II if you don't want it.

·
Registered
385 Posts
I don't have a stock one that I will give you, but am willing to help you out with taking the exhaust out and putting the stock one that you find in. i'm located in Sunnyvale. PM me if you need my help!

·
Registered
79 Posts
I have a stock unit from my '05, maybe has 500 miles on it I'll trade you but cannot physically help you with the install but can tell you what to do, its easy. I will also pick up the shipping costs both ways.

pm me if your intrested.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hmm, I'd prefer a local transaction. :) I'm not a stickler about money, and value the community as well as meeting enthusiasts over a few bucks.

Anyone have a stock exhaust they want to sell me, cheap? :)

·
Registered
5,356 Posts
Check with Rob Dietsch at Dietsch Werks (Santa Clara) or guys at ForceFed (Livermore). They may have a stock unit they've removed from a customer car.

Cheers,
Kiyoshi

·
Registered
310 Posts
Help me out here please. I have a stage II set up as well. I bought this car 4 weeks ago. I love the car and at most times the exhaust. It is loud at times and can drone on at different pitches that can become a little much. I just don't know where I sit on how I feel about it. So tell me the differences, the added benefit, and so on. I ask only because my only experience is with the stage II. Might just be ungrateful or unaware of what I have?

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
I recommend the larini for people who doesnt like the volume of the stage 2. The larini is slightly quieter than stock on the low rpms but once you hit the second cam it screams. Overall it has a better exhaust note than both stock and stage 2.

·
Registered
384 Posts
I have the 8x24 2Bular and really like it, its lower pitched than stock, doesn't drone and is not noisy at all. So I don't really want your stage II, but, I have a stock exhaust with about 4k miles on it that I just took off and is wasting space in my garage. You can have it if you want to come up to San Francisco and pick it up...

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Help me out here please. I have a stage II set up as well. I bought this car 4 weeks ago. I love the car and at most times the exhaust. It is loud at times and can drone on at different pitches that can become a little much. I just don't know where I sit on how I feel about it. So tell me the differences, the added benefit, and so on. I ask only because my only experience is with the stage II. Might just be ungrateful or unaware of what I have?
tko211: Well, the stage II is about 10lbs lighter than a stock exhaust system, I think. I don't mind gaining 10lbs (esp over the rear wheels), if it means I can accelerate without my ears going numb :) I guess I'm getting old.

I love how it sounds from outside the car, but yeah - the drone inside the car can be a bit much, esp. when cruising at 75mph and accelerating slowly in 6th!

I'll contact Dietschworks, thanks guys,

- kyung

·
Registered
398 Posts
I recommend the larini for people who doesnt like the volume of the stage 2. The larini is slightly quieter than stock on the low rpms but once you hit the second cam it screams. Overall it has a better exhaust note than both stock and stage 2.
^ What he said. :coolnana:

·
Banned
7,592 Posts
If someone wants a stock exhaust I have a very lightly used one I'd be happy to sell and free up the space it's taking in the garage. Make me an offer for the muffler and then cover the actual shipping cost (I'm guessing you are gonna get beat up a little on shipping, If you have any suggestions of the best method of something of that weight I'm open to it. It's already kind of wrapped up in cardboard and tape as I took it home in my car.)

·
LotusRaceShop.com
537 Posts
Yes it should be the same. But there has been problems with exhaust leaks and fires from track driven cars with stock exhaust systems coming loose or cracking. I have a couple of stock exhaust systems, Let me know what you need - Rob.

I want to put the stock cat back on my Exige S...do the supercharged Exiges use a different one than the elise?

·
Registered
836 Posts
Dont put on the stock system, you will regret it. There is some drone on the stage II and I am considering a Larini system, but never stock again.

The sound level at 80mph with stage II was 106db in my car last Sunday, ouch!

·
Banned
7,592 Posts
Dont put on the stock system, you will regret it. There is some drone on the stage II and I am considering a Larini system, but never stock again.

The sound level at 80mph with stage II was 106db in my car last Sunday, ouch!
I don't know what the levels are on my welded up magnaflow system but at the track day I did last month it was the loudest car there. Kind of funny with the little Lotus is making all kinds of noise over a V8 Mustang, M3's, and GT3 Porsches. :eek:
I daily drive and road trip it too. I've given up on hearing the stereo. Even with the Polks. I should just ditch them and use an ipod.

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Yes it should be the same. But there has been problems with exhaust leaks and fires from track driven cars with stock exhaust systems coming loose or cracking. I have a couple of stock exhaust systems, Let me know what you need - Rob.
Thanks a lot Rob. I love the Larini exhaust I'm just tired of staring at a check engline light from the cat.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Hmm - if nobody wants to do a straight up swap, does anybody locally have a stocker they would like to sell me, cheap? :)

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
Hmm - if nobody wants to do a straight up swap, does anybody locally have a stocker they would like to sell me, cheap? :)
I recommend you listen to some of the aftermarket options before spending any money on an exhaust. I really like my 8" larini which is very quiet and has no drone (the stock one has a drone at 5k rpm that drove me :wallbang:). DietchWerks is a premier dealer for Sector 111 and should be able to hook you up.

Edit: Also I see that you are in San Jose - you are welcome to hear my car if you are ever in Sunnyvale.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts