The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some people from the bay area are planning a drive in the mountains late one evening in the next few weeks. We've done it before (I live in the mountains so I do it all the time just to get home :) and its fun to have a group running together when there is little traffic on the roads, and you can see the lights of oncoming traffic.

There are a few critters to watch out for, but the lead car tends to find most of them, and the rest have a clear road and tail lights to follow. This is an experienced group of people, a good balance of fun and safety, no lunatics.

So if a few people want to practice twisty road night driving while they wait for their Elise, let me know. Small agile cars are most fun on 20mph hairpin corners....

·
insert clever title here
7,702 Posts
Who's the unlucky one in the lead? I hate to admit it, but there actually IS a reason to own a Hummer H2 - you stick the H2 out in front to clear the roadkill. Hmm, though they'd be holding everyone else up, that wouldn't work...

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
MattG said:
Who's the unlucky one in the lead? I hate to admit it, but there actually IS a reason to own a Hummer H2 - you stick the H2 out in front to clear the roadkill. Hmm, though they'd be holding everyone else up, that wouldn't work...
A Fiat X1/9 works well, its small, nimble and cheap :D

The critter density isn't that bad. I live up in the mountains and I think you are likely to be dodging loose dogs, cats and kids in the 'hoods down on the flat lands more often than I see a critter.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Modern Wedgie said:
I take offense at that remark :p
I thought you might.....

I think X1/9's are wonderful, my friends tend to collect more than one at a time since they only cost $1K-$2K each.

·
Registered
2,744 Posts
fastspider said:
I thought you might.....

I think X1/9's are wonderful, my friends tend to collect more than one at a time since they only cost $1K-$2K each.
They are almost disposable cars for how little they cost. Sigh...my restoration costs are approaching $10K.:(

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
We had a good time...

We went out for our night drive a few days ago. Lots of fun, driving on empty roads.

No problems (other than some tinkering with an X1/9's electrical system) and no critter sightings.

I run lowered suspension on my Elise, and its too low at the rear, either the springs have settled or the adjustment has moved, because the main problem I had was bottoming out at the rear on bumpy roads. I slowed down to save it from being scraped on the big bumps. I checked later and the clearance was 9-10cm at the rear, and 12 at the front! Standard is 14cm, and LSS is supposed to run at 11cm all round. Since I'm on bumpy roads a lot, I'll get it set to 12cm at the rear - should be enough for the next ride.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts