The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I see from another thread that there's a smog check place that someone recommends in Burlingame (AA+ Smog), but are there any other places further south that I can trust with my Elise?

I work in San Jose, so somewhere close would be useful as it would allow me to pop out during a quiet moment (well, that's if I ever get a quiet moment).

Any recommendations?

·
Registered
5,285 Posts
Jon - Check with Rob at Dietsch Werks. I had my Elise done at the smog shop across the parking lot from Eric at Performance Suspension on Old Middlefield in Mt View. They're familiar with our cars. Eric has checks done by them. Normally they drive the cars onto the dyno/test rig, but with Lotus they ask the owners to do the driving.

Cheers,
Kiyoshi

·
Registered
3,927 Posts
Used- These guys in San Jose (538 Earl Ave)

The Smog Man Test Only - San Jose, CA

Great price and spent a little extra time on my car to make sure it passed.

Spoke to Rob, since the Elise is due for another, it’s a lot more $$ but if you have mods or are border-line maybe wroth the extra money.

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I couldn't reach Rob Dietsch this morning, so I ended up going up to Burlingame this morning. Everything went smoothly and the car passed.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
5,285 Posts
I couldn't reach Rob Dietsch this morning, so I ended up going up to Burlingame this morning. Everything went smoothly and the car passed.
Cool. :clap:
If your car is stock (or minimal mods) it is really pretty straight forward. The only hurdle is getting the car onto the dyno and strapped down (in most cases the shops are simply using chocks). In many cases the shop will have you drive onto the dyno and modulate the throttle through the test cycle.

Cheers,
Kiyoshi

·
Premium Member
2005 Lotus Elise; 2007 Lotus Exige S; 2012 Porsche 991S
1,417 Posts
Damn, I should be getting a referral bonus for the Burlingame shop! :)

The guy there is nice, and is into cars so he's very careful. Even has a board on the street to smooth out the grade into this driveway and avoid rubbing.

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Cool. :clap:
If your car is stock (or minimal mods) it is really pretty straight forward. The only hurdle is getting the car onto the dyno and strapped down (in most cases the shops are simply using chocks). In many cases the shop will have you drive onto the dyno and modulate the throttle through the test cycle.

Cheers,
Kiyoshi
My car has the factory supercharger, but there were no problems.

He didn't strap the car down. That's what I wanted to avoid. He didn't use chicks, unless I missed that. He did have me drive on to the dyno though, but he took over for the test.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com Free App

1 - 7 of 7 Posts