The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my buddy calls me up a 9:00 AM this morning asking me if I had my buffer in my hands. I told him that I was waxing something but her name wasn't "car". Of all the nerve, he knows that I am either sleep or "working" that damn early in the morning! He's a bachelor too so he KNOWS better!

Here's what happened. He's turning into a parking lot and some guy with no license decides to pull out and swipe the back end of his car. Realizing what he did, the guy decides to run. Bad decision. My buddy is a detective with the local PD and he was driving his unmarked Charger with a HEMI. So he chases the guy for a block and pulls him over. I told him that it must be nice having a cop around when you need one! :D

Bottom line is, this bumper will need to painted in order to make it 100% perfect, which means that he would have to turn it in to the motor pool. He didn't want to do that because he knows that he would get a hooptie to drive while they take their time fixing his. He wasn't having any of that so he called me. Here's the damage he showed up with.

Damage like this is going to require a more aggressive polisher than the PC-7424XP if you want to fix it sometime this week. At the same time, a rotary polisher could have easily MELTED this rear fascia considering how flexible it is. Since he was in a hurry, I had to just blast the job out. So I broke out some 3M Perfect-It™ I Rubbing Compound, 3M Perfect-It™ II Machine Polish, a flat surfaced green pad, a flat surfaced white pad and my trusty ol' Flex-3401VRG.

A couple of things to note. Normally I would have washed and clayed that area, and wet sanded that remaining scratch out of the paint. However, due to time restraints, I just did the "hook a brutha' up" repair. If you saw the finished product, you wouldn't have ever known that this car was in an accident. I told him to make sure that he reported it to Car Fax.

Here's the final results.

And because you all know that I never fake the funk, here's the flash test.

He asked me what I wanted for the job. I told him to dance like Calvin & Hobbs. He said he'll meet me at Texas Roadhouse.

My Lord, I would have loved to seen the face of that guy when his rear view mirror filled up with Christmas lights! :D

That's all folks!

The Junkman

·
Registered
7,610 Posts
Why not have the guy that hit him pay for your time and services. ;)

So my buddy calls me up a 9:00 AM this morning asking me if I had my buffer in my hands. I told him that I was waxing something but her name wasn't "car". Of all the nerve, he knows that I am either sleep or "working" that damn early in the morning! He's a bachelor too so he KNOWS better!

Here's what happened. He's turning into a parking lot and some guy with no license decides to pull out and swipe the back end of his car. Realizing what he did, the guy decides to run. Bad decision. My buddy is a detective with the local PD and he was driving his unmarked Charger with a HEMI. So he chases the guy for a block and pulls him over. I told him that it must be nice having a cop around when you need one! :D

Bottom line is, this bumper will need to painted in order to make it 100% perfect, which means that he would have to turn it in to the motor pool. He didn't want to do that because he knows that he would get a hooptie to drive while they take their time fixing his. He wasn't having any of that so he called me. Here's the damage he showed up with.

That's all folks!

The Junkman

·
Registered
7,610 Posts
That's usually something that I do, but that calls for paperwork and the city has a net 90-day pay. Screw that, I'm hungry NOW. :D
What paper work? The guy goes to the ATM pulls out the max allowable plus any cash already in his wallet, goes around the corner and gives it to you. rotfl

·
Registered
277 Posts
Nice Work.

·
Registered
945 Posts
I'm totally gonna do this if someone messes up my clam :cool:
I wish it worked that way... the Elise clamshells are prone to shattering/spiderwebbing as soon as something hits them, and the Lotus clearcoat seems to like to crack rather than flexing as well.

They're a far cry from plastic 2.5mph bumpers that are designed specifically to spring back when someone bumps them like that, like the one in Junkman's pics. Not so much "just buffs out" with these cars...

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I wish it worked that way... the Elise clamshells are prone to shattering/spiderwebbing as soon as something hits them, and the Lotus clearcoat seems to like to crack rather than flexing as well.

They're a far cry from plastic 2.5mph bumpers that are designed specifically to spring back when someone bumps them like that, like the one in Junkman's pics. Not so much "just buffs out" with these cars...
My Corvette has the same exact issue. A lot of times, the bumper paint will shatter just as you are describing.

·
Registered
8,534 Posts
I like the reflection of the big ass badge on his belt buckle!

Your gift is of course, a get out of jail free card for use at any point in the future!

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
... Your gift is of course, a get out of jail free card for use at any point in the future!
There was a time here when you could call your buddy after getting pulled over and he would call the cop who stopped you and get you off (provided you hadn't done anything stupid). But they killed that about 10-15 years ago. Now my best friends are LAWYERS. rotfl

·
Vroom vroom
507 Posts
The pads are the 5.5" flat surface pads from Chemical Guys, not the ones you linked to. You can get those pads at other places too but CG's has them in the 5.5" size.
Alright I fixed the list. I may need it handy one day :p

·
Registered
2,339 Posts
Junkman, you seem like a guy that I would love to hang out and have a beer with.

By the way, what are your opinions on Chemical Guy's products? They seem pretty big but just wondering what your personal opinion was. Thanks in advance.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.