The Lotus Cars Community banner
  • Hi there! Why not register as a user to enjoy all of the benefits of the site? You may register here. When you register, please pick a username that is non-commercial. If you use a name that appears on any search engine commercially, you must pick another name, whether it applies to you or not. Commercial usernames are for supporting vendor use only. If you want to become a supporting vendor and grow your business, please follow this link. Thanks!

Been awhile/CARBON FIBER PROJECT

254K views 1K replies 108 participants last post by  shay2nak 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
its coming together
Rust Metal
Metal
Product Furniture Vehicle
Wood Fender Architecture

tooling
Floor
Bumper Automotive exterior Vehicle Car

always changing
Vehicle Car Supercar Sports car Auto part

parts
Floor Metal
Art

molds
Red
Red Plastic Chair Vehicle

See less See more
#4 ·
YOU IS BAD!!

:bow: :bow: :clap:

you are best I've seen since I've been on here!! anything you envision you can actually make!! I bow to thee....

P.S. it was nice talking to you, i wish I lived closer to your place!! :wallbang:

#6 ·
WOW, I am most definately interested to see where this is going and how the finished product is going to look. Nice work!

This post has been deleted
#11 ·
The pieces look absolutely amazing. :bow: Just amazing!!!

#13 ·
Dam Dog, you're going too fast for my brain!! :D are you using vacuum infusion or brushing on the resin? BTW your molds are very clean, it shows you know your stuff...

#17 ·
air duct

i decided to make the air duct larger. the scoop on the 260 is comical, that huge scoop in the front narrowed down to that tiny hole in the back its like a parachute. i understand why they did it production wise. i wonder if the increased drag can be justified, is there that much hp gain? anyway i figure ill just increase the duct size lower the fpm velocity and static pressure in that area

Attachments

#18 ·
If you do it right the future of Lotus parts could go through you!! in 5 years Lotus parts will be hard to come by and making a whole car in Carbon is everyone's dream.. ;) :D

#20 ·
not really looking to sell parts, its true my co. could make hundreds of these parts in one day. we have a big frp facility, im just having fun making the car my son wants. and teaching him the ropes. anyone can do what we do, maybe not in that volume. its very easy i encourage every to try it, its fun
What you do is very impressive :bow:

I've been playing with the thought of trying to do my own CF just so I can say I tried it.
One of my coworkers is big into model glider plane fabrication and does a lot of CF work with complex surfaces like wings and such. I think he currently holds the European speed record with one of his planes at far beyond 300mph. He offered to give me a hand and help me with the basics and material to play with. Now I just need to find the time to start...

I just think it is very cool if you can do stuff like this by yourself :up:

#21 · (Edited)
i use to build my own rc airplanes too its allot of fun anyway the first day u get the stuff your a fiberglasser, no magic. the more u do the better you'll get just read the safety panel on the resin can first. and your on your way

the cool thing about fiberglass, if u can imagine it with frp u can build it

now u can fix all the broken broom handles

i was reminded of a story today of when i was a youngin back before thr was disposable diapers my mom would wash my dads work clothes with my diapers when she would put them out on the line to dry they would glisten from the fiberglass. i got broke in early

top is the plug the bottom is the mold w/ flange
Vehicle Skiff Automotive exterior Water transportation Boats and boating--Equipment and supplies

its smiling
Automotive exterior Bumper Vehicle Auto part Car

#24 ·
i use to build my own rc airplanes too its allot of fun anyway the first day u get the stuff your a fiberglasser, no magic. the more u do the better you'll get just read the safety panel on the resin can first. and your on your way
So I have been wanting to try as well. How do you get your molds so well made? Also any starting tips? I may try this come summer.

This post has been deleted
#32 ·
I do have one complaint Rich, I'm not interested in switching my rear clam to an Exige, for that I would buy a used exige, probably cheaper in the long run. You must do a modified Elise rear clam in fiber instead of that composite crap!! and also may I suggest a set of wheel well flares for those of us that want to go wider @ an affordable price...

Just my $25 Mexican pesos (.02 cents) Lol

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.