The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Given the construction of the Elise, how repairable is it? That is, I would think that your body shop, even with the best equipment, would not be able to deal with a glued together, aluminum chassis automobile.

For me, the Elise would purely be a toy: a weekend car and track car. While I can buy a brutally fast and lightweight track toy for less cash, I'm thinking that the extra coin for the Elise can only be justified by the fact that is street legal, that is, can be enjoyed on public roads. In these parts, I share the roads with drunken cowboys in one ton pickup trucks and moms who drive 6,000 lb Suburbans with one eye open while putting on makeup.

Accordingly, repairabilty is an important consideration.

Assuming that the car is totalled in a minor accident. . .it would seem only a matter of time before insurance companies stop insuring the Elise.

Thoughts?

I'm heading to my local dealer here (Austin TX) to put a deposit down tomorrow AM. I know I'm late off the ball, but I thought I'd at least 'get in line'.

Oh, one other question:

The ltw package is supposed to appear this fall. How about the sport package? The wording in the Autoweek article was unclear.

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
Jeff,

The folks (Neil, Drew, and Patrick) at Autostrada are great. I've had a very positive experience working with them, you will likely be very pleased when you deal with them.

I just ordered my car with the sports suspension package, it is available at the moment. I don't know if availability will wane as more people order the sports package.

The chassis is unrepairable. If you get in an accident with chassis damage, expect to write it off. That's not all that much different from most cars, really. But it's pretty survivable in direct front or rear impacts, as the crash structure has proved it will do its job well. (according to SELOC)

The fiberglass repairs for minor accidents can be handled by a local body shop, and major damage will require a new clamshell and crash structure ordered from the UK.

The main point of defense for you on crowded austin roads is going to be awareness and rapid avoidance. Drive it like a motorcycle... assume that everyone is completely unaware that you are there.

That said, this car is going to be a blast in the hill country. Pedernales River area, 2222, and of course, cruising down to 6th st... I'm looking forward to enjoying it for a couple weeks in my hometown before heading back out to my duty station in Norfolk.

Cade

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Cade, thanks for the reply. I'm particularly glad to hear of your experience with Autostrada. I'm there tomorrow morning to get in line, with the factory sports package a definite requirement.

Although as of late I haven't spent much time at the track, I should be back in the saddle again soon as my newborn settles in. My daily driver is an M3, and rather than trading it for a 996 or somesuch, I'm thinking that it's a perfectly adequate daily driver, and that a 'fun' car for good weather, weekends, and the track, is the right purchase. I'm tired of seeing those damn ltw Miatas run 4 weekends on a set of Hoosiers and brake pads, when I run through R comps and brakes like burritos! 3200 lbs is heavy, and other automakers continue to move in the wrong direction.

Do you favor dealing with any one of the particular folks at Autostrada? Can I tell them Cade sent me? :)

Funny thing is, I live literally 3 minutes away from them, yet have never been in their showroom.

PS, my last car was an S2000. Too raw for a daily driver, too civilized for a track car. I'm psyched to have the opportunity to pick up an Elise.

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
hey frayed--I'll second the Autostrada props.

Just talk to Andrew and he'll set you up. Neil is the GM and is very friendly as well.

When you go in tomorrow I'm almost certain that you'll end up talking to both of them anyway.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks a bunch. Can't wait (despite the heinous wait list) until tomorrow to get things moving.

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
Jeff,

Glad to be of help... you're welcome to tell them that I sent you, maybe they'll give me some kind of discount or something... ha ha... right.... they may be good, but they still have to turn a profit.

Neil is who I mostly dealt with, but I talked extensively with Andrew as well, and he has quite a few of the color pics saved onto his computer there, he's clearly an enthusiast.

Good luck with your decision to get an elise!

Cade

PS... I was going to get an S2000 until I found out about the Elise... the S2000 is a great car.

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
Let's get real, fellows! Newcomers need to be aware that Lotus has 'booked' orders that will eat up all their production
for two years. Even if they decide to increase production with an annex, it
isn't going to affect the two years of orders in house.

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
Ridgemanron said:
Let's get real, fellows! Newcomers need to be aware that Lotus has 'booked' orders that will eat up all their production
for two years. Even if they decide to increase production with an annex, it
isn't going to affect the two years of orders in house.
there's a good chance that 25% of those "booked" orders will drop off after test drives and/or when those with multiple deposits remove their name(s) from other lists.

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
Any cancellations will allow dealers to have cars that can be offered at market value. They will go to the highest bidder
and, believe me, some people will astound you with regard to what they
will pay to be rolling in late Spring/Early
Summer.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Twice I ahve been on waiting list that should have been a year long, in both cases I waited less than 5 months because so many people dropped off the list. In both cases I paid MSRP as I was buying from a reputable dealer. Get on the waiting list, you may be surprised.

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
Ridgemanron said:
Any cancellations will allow dealers to have cars that can be offered at market value. They will go to the highest bidder
and, believe me, some people will astound you with regard to what they
will pay to be rolling in late Spring/Early
Summer.
not at a good dealership. I've already moved up 5 or 6 spots.

·
Registered
751 Posts
atyclb said:
not at a good dealership. I've already moved up 5 or 6 spots.

Over at LOA, people do not get bumped up on the list. Cars WILL be sold at market value and the wait listed MSRP customers will have to wait as their car is allocated. There is no bumping up on the list. I am sure most dealers will be doing this.

-Whit

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
zcar222 said:
Over at LOA, people do not get bumped up on the list. Cars WILL be sold at market value and the wait listed MSRP customers will have to wait as their car is allocated. There is no bumping up on the list. I am sure most dealers will be doing this.

-Whit
like I said...a good dealership won't play this game.

:D

·
Registered
111 Posts
Whit, I don't know where you got your info from, but I asked LOA the same question in early december because I had the same concerns and this is the email I got back:

*quote*
Hey David,

I remember you, I actually have your order form right in front of me. We should be getting a demo car right before the first few customer cars show up. I personally am not giving anyone definite allotment #'s because of how things generally work over at Lotus cars USA. I don't want to tell you something, and not be able to deliver because of someone else. We are at #83 for the waiting list, and we do just move people down a spot if someone drops off. Our cars will always be sold at M.S.R.P., never more. I will be sure to call you and update you with any new information I come across. Let me know if you have any more questions.

Thanks,
Brandon Saszi

*end quote*

If you could verify your info, preferably in writing and post back here...

·
Registered
14 Posts
I was told by a salesman at Symbolic that he expects some customers to back out once they drive the car and find that it is not what they expected, and that those cars will be sold at market value.

I'm not complaining, given that if i patiently wait for my name to come up on the wait list, i will get to pay MSRP, which i don't take for granted. Count yourself lucky if your dealership is more generous.

·
Registered
751 Posts
Hey Xfactor,

As a matter of fact, I can verify what I just posted. I placed my downpayment recently at LOA - on the 26th of December, and I am number 87 on the list. I talked with a salesman named Chad who took my deposit. I asked him numerous questions from which I got seemingly reliable answers, although he could be wrong about a few things. I asked him If customers would be bumped up on the list as people dropped off. His reply was: "Well, when we first started taking orders for the new Elise, we didn't really think about selling cars over MSRP. Now that so many orders have been placed, it is in the dealers best interest to sell the cars for market value which will probably be several thousand dollars over MSRP as customers drop off the list. So no, if people are to drop off of the list, you will not be moved down to get your car sooner."

He also claims that my car should get here by late December. Is this possible, because I am number 87? I was skeptical. Perhaps LOA is getting a rather large allocation? Anyways, I wouldnt consider anything the dealers tell us as fact right now. Aside from their promises on contract that may not be changed.

-Whit

·
Registered
111 Posts
That's dissapointing

It's unfortunate to hear that LOA has changed their mind on bumping depositors up a few spots as people drop off. I'm going to pay them a visit today and see what's up.

I've put another deposit down with a (non-local) dealership that has been bumping people up the list just in case LOA's judgment lapses further.

I originaly placed my deposit down with LOA a few months ago because of the good things I heard about them from Chris and Jenn, then again they are so low on the list it would be hard to screw around with them.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
6,802 Posts
X-factor,

Best to talk with Chris C. to find out exactly what the deal is on wait list issue

I stand by my word, they're a good bunch to deal with and think you'll be happy, especially when you read some of the horror stories at some California dealers which has been running on the Lotus cars forum.
Chris

1 - 19 of 19 Posts