The Lotus Cars Community banner

61 - 80 of 92 Posts

·
Saffron Yellow is Lighter
1,256 Posts
Mine only had 3800 miles when I bought it and it rocked back and forth very obviously. Stan's mod significantly reduced it, to the point where you could make it rock but it really didn't move in normal operation.
The solution to the rocking is to level the base plate so it does not sit on the top of the raised rivnuts. I filed my rivnut top level on one that was bent but then had to mill off the bottom of the new shifter plate so that it would not rock on the 2 front most rivnuts.

It is SO solid now, but adding a 3rd thru car bolt would probably help, in the location of the right side middle area.

·
1,256 Posts
Bump Stop

I'm talking about the stock unit, the ShiftR only rocks because the shifter hits the cover going into reverse, otherwise it's solid. I think @steelypip was talking about the stock unit if I read the context correctly.
Yes reverse will hit the stock console. To solve this I added a bump stop for the reverse gate. I like how the ShiftR111 has a 1st-2nd gate adjustable stop. I don't remember this being marketed, but I predict it will solve my random missed shifts issue because I think the stock setup was hanging on the gate stop.

Because this worked so well I also made an adjustable 5th-6th gate bump stop, it works like a dream now!

Oh, and I made my own aluminum stock console mounts that were the right height and saved 85 grams!

:shift:

Attachments

·
1,256 Posts
No Play!

I also removed the rest of the play in the ShiftR111 that was present. The spring tabs were not touching the stops completely, there was a 1/16" gap, so there was play. Some silicon fuel tubing was a quick fix!

Attachments

·
Less is Better
2,439 Posts
Discussion Starter #65
I also removed the rest of the play in the ShiftR111 that was present. The spring tabs were not touching the stops completely, there was a 1/16" gap, so there was play. Some silicon fuel tubing was a quick fix!
Nice. You hit on two points that I also touched on in my videos. The crossgate stop at 1-2 is really nice. I mentioned that it would be nice to have stops on the other gates. I like your addition of the reverse and 5-6 crossgate stops. I may steal that from you.

I also added sleeves to the centering spring. I show that in the video.

What's the nylon washer on your shift cable for?

·
1,256 Posts
What's the nylon washer on your shift cable for?
The nylon washers provide a bump stop for the reverse gate to prevent it from over throwing and hitting the shift console and actually provide a much better feel. The black one is actually a rubber washer that helps absorb some of the impact when it hits the plastic end cap. Plus it keeps them in place. You have to get the right number of washers on to provide the correct bump stop.

I made a few other mods not listed here. I am using the stock lift tube. IMHO it looks & feels so much nicer. Modified it to provide the exact amount of lift, which is next to none.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Yes reverse will hit the stock console. To solve this I added a bump stop for the reverse gate. I like how the ShiftR111 has a 1st-2nd gate adjustable stop. I don't remember this being marketed, but I predict it will solve my random missed shifts issue because I think the stock setup was hanging on the gate stop.

Because this worked so well I also made an adjustable 5th-6th gate bump stop, it works like a dream now!
Is the first picture of the reverse bump stop or of the 5/6 bump stop?

·
Supporting Vendor
4,157 Posts
The nylon washers provide a bump stop for the reverse gate to prevent it from over throwing and hitting the shift console and actually provide a much better feel. The black one is actually a rubber washer that helps absorb some of the impact when it hits the plastic end cap. Plus it keeps them in place. You have to get the right number of washers on to provide the correct bump stop.

I made a few other mods not listed here. I am using the stock lift tube. IMHO it looks & feels so much nicer. Modified it to provide the exact amount of lift, which is next to none.
Nice work! I love it when people tweak a tweak! :D

·
Registered
175 Posts
I tried to install both the original console and a GRP carbon fiber console over the ShiftR111, and was unable to do so, for a number of reasons

The ShiftR111 is wide enough that the console rests on top of the hole through which the seat bolts go; it seems like I would have to cut out part of the console to install the seats

But more problematic is that the hole on top of the console is too small for the shift stick. When I shift into reverse, the thin stainless steel cable that controls the reverse lockout hits the rim of the hole. If you pull the lockout ring up and then shift into reverse, the additional tension on the cable when it hits the rim causes the lockout to fail (as it always does if you allow the cable to get pulled even a little too much).

I did not notice the ShiftR111 hitting the consoles from the inside, as others have reported, but I never got so far as to bolt them in.

Anyone else have an experience similar to mine? I would love to have the carbon fiber console in the car, but fear that this will not be possible. I am puzzled by those who have succeeded where I am failing.

Thanks!

·
www.theapexinn.com
11,686 Posts
I tried to install both the original console and a GRP carbon fiber console over the ShiftR111, and was unable to do so, for a number of reasons

The ShiftR111 is wide enough that the console rests on top of the hole through which the seat bolts go; it seems like I would have to cut out part of the console to install the seats

But more problematic is that the hole on top of the console is too small for the shift stick. When I shift into reverse, the thin stainless steel cable that controls the reverse lockout hits the rim of the hole. If you pull the lockout ring up and then shift into reverse, the additional tension on the cable when it hits the rim causes the lockout to fail (as it always does if you allow the cable to get pulled even a little too much).

I did not notice the ShiftR111 hitting the consoles from the inside, as others have reported, but I never got so far as to bolt them in.

Anyone else have an experience similar to mine? I would love to have the carbon fiber console in the car, but fear that this will not be possible. I am puzzled by those who have succeeded where I am failing.

Thanks!

John.....You already HAVE a modified shifter mechanism....also modified into a short shifter.... or maybe the guy you bought it from didn't mention that. That could have something to do with it.

·
Less is Better
2,439 Posts
Discussion Starter #72

Thanks!
Part 3 of my vids shows that I also found the ShiftR pushes the console out and interferes with the passenger seat. It's only through the flexibility of the plastic that both the console and seat can go in. A CF console would need to be cut.

Perhaps your lever is adjusted so that it's biased a bit forward. Bias it a bit rewards and see if that addresses the reverse cable catching on the hole in the console.

I didn't get all the interference until I actually screwed the console down, which is a process that is much more difficult to line up than with the stock part.

·
1,256 Posts
Not Fitting Again

Oh no, are you kidding me?? The passenger seat is the only item I had not installed. But you are right, even after I had made some changes already to keep the stock cover from stretching out as much (which added some clearance to the seat) it still hits the seat.

I can fix this. I will post the fix after making it.

I am still hopeful that the 1st drive will prove that all the effort was worth it!

·
1,256 Posts
Redesigned bracket

@me73
@jon_bondy
@shinno

Here is my fix to keep the console from stretching out so much and also making barely enough room to clear the seat. The shifter part that the 4 small screws hold seemed very secure with just the 1 bolt holding the left side. Maybe @shinno can chime in on why the 2 were needed. I know 2 are better than one, but in this case it is at the expense of fitting properly with the seat and CF console cover.

I am also making an adjustment to the seat which should provide another 1/32" clearance to prevent rubbing.

You may be able to see in the photo that I had already ground down about 1/16" from the round head on all 4 of these bolts. This originally kept the console from stretching out another 1/8". It feels much better now with almost no stretching with the new countersunk bolt. Additionally I filed off a bit off the length of these bolts too, so they did not protrude past the rivnut to provide more room for the throttle cable & wiring.

Yes, that is a Titanium seat bolt... coated with anti-seize. The stock seat fasteners were ugly... and green. :grin2:

Xtinct weight saving program... this mod saved 11 grams!

Attachments

·
Less is Better
2,439 Posts
Discussion Starter #75 (Edited)
I went out for my maiden voyage last night. I found two issues. First, the crossgate has too much friction. Too much "mush" between gates. I'll have to take off the console and loosen the screw that controls cross gate pivot. I'm not looking forward to this because the console is now a pain to get back on. It used to be easy to remove and refit with the stock console.

Second, and unfortunately, I'm not entirely happy with the way first is further left than it used to be due to the lack of bend in the shift lever. I can very easily rest my knee on the knob in first. It's not a big problem, but it is a little annoying and was never even close with the stock unit.

General first impressions, I have to say, as with the static shifting, aside from the two issues above it's not very different from stock. I don't know that I'd be able to tell the ShiftR from my stock shifter in a blind test.

I didn't record my drive, I'll make the crossgate adjustment and then break out the camera and get some collected thoughts together.

·
1,256 Posts
Left hand drive, and shift?

I'm not entirely happy with the way first is further left than it used to be due to the lack of bend in the shift lever.
This was one of my fears too. Why can't this shifter have a slight bend too? I realize that the shifter seems to be a bit further to the right at the base, but I am concerned the knob is overall farther left. The stock shifter knob was against my knee as is, so I cant afford for it to be any further left. I am 6'-3" so my legs are probably a bit wider than most.

·
Less is Better
2,439 Posts
Discussion Starter #77 (Edited)
I went out for my maiden voyage last night. I found two issues. First, the crossgate has too much friction. Too much "mush" between gates. I'll have to take off the console and loosen the screw that controls cross gate pivot. I'm not looking forward to this because the console is now a pain to get back on. It used to be easy to remove and refit with the stock console.
I removed the console and tried to find the source of friction in the shifter assembly. I don't think it's the cable itself, as I could pretty easily move the cable when I disconnected it from the shifter. I think I noted in part 2 of my replacement video that the crossgate in the ShiftR was noticeably tighter than in the stock system. When I played with it today, moving the shifter side to side with the cable detached did appear to be the source of the friction. To address this I loosened up the crossgate pivot bolt and applied some teflon/silicone lube to the mechanism. The bolt has a shoulder on it and it does need to be tightened all the way to hold the spring stop mechanism firmly but it also has some nylon washers at both ends to allow for motion of the crossgate arm. I also lubricated the ball joints at the base of the shift arm, the one that allows for motion of the shifter and the one that translates the side-to-side motion to the crossgate arm. This did seem to have a positive effect on the crossgate friction but I didn't get a chance to drive the car after the lubrication treatment. So I'll report back when I have done so.

I was also find that the snap noise generated when I move my shifter into reverse is caused by contact between the shift lever where the cable attaches (there's a worn spot on the black lever where it was contacting) and a metal clip on the console that holds the boot on. There are about 7 such clips around the perimeter of the boot interface. I moved the interfering clip to a new position and the ticking noise is now gone. The clip was a little loose from the contact already so eventually I'm sure that would have fallen off and dropped into the shift mechanism.

·
Registered
175 Posts
General first impressions, I have to say, as with the static shifting, aside from the two issues above it's not very different from stock. I don't know that I'd be able to tell the ShiftR from my stock shifter in a blind test.
That was my impression with static shifting. I was occasionally shifting into 3rd by mistake when I intended to go into 1st, and hoped that the ShiftR111 would eliminate this issue. My sense is that the situation is not significantly improved. I guess my stock shifter was "one of the good ones". If there is a problem, perhaps it is not in the cabin, but rather in or on top of the transmission itself.

·
Less is Better
2,439 Posts
Discussion Starter #79
That was my impression with static shifting. I was occasionally shifting into 3rd by mistake when I intended to go into 1st, and hoped that the ShiftR111 would eliminate this issue. My sense is that the situation is not significantly improved. I guess my stock shifter was "one of the good ones". If there is a problem, perhaps it is not in the cabin, but rather in or on top of the transmission itself.
Have you tried adjusting the crossgate cable at the shifter? There is a stop for 1st thanks to the reverse lock-out, even in the stock shifter.

·
Supporting Vendor
4,157 Posts
@me73
@jon_bondy
@shinno

Here is my fix to keep the console from stretching out so much and also making barely enough room to clear the seat. The shifter part that the 4 small screws hold seemed very secure with just the 1 bolt holding the left side. Maybe @shinno can chime in on why the 2 were needed. I know 2 are better than one, but in this case it is at the expense of fitting properly with the seat and CF console cover..
Thx for posting this idea. The crossgate brace is a redundant bit of strengthening to help with ham-fisted drivers who use too much force. I think your mod should work fine. I have been looking at bringing the attachment on the inside but there are other issues with that idea.

61 - 80 of 92 Posts