The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is anyone ehre from Beijing and want to hang out 2012, May1-6? I will be there from California visiting a lady friend, but will be cruising around and exploring.

Anyone been to BJ and have any tips on must-do/must-visit places (I have the great wall on the list :)?

Thanks, guys! :clap:

Joh

·
Registered
412 Posts
Anyone been to BJ and have any tips on must-do/must-visit places (I have the great wall on the list :)?
The usual...

TianAnMen Square is worth it if you know what you are seeing. (Get a book or hire a guide.)

The Forbidden City is impressive.

I liked the Olympic Green Park on the north side of the city, but I'm a fan of architecture.

We stayed at the Wangfujing Grand Hotel. Meh. But the neighborhood was interesting. We walked down the street early on Saturday evening. The area was crawling with young adults shopping and partying. Everyone was dressed like American music videos circa 1985 -- which put it right in my generation. It was surreal, but fantastic.

·
Premium Member
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you!

I appreciate the tips, sir, and will proceed accordingly. :up:

·
Back to the Future, again
6,187 Posts
Just remember our laws and customs don't apply there. Etiquette is optional for the most part do don't take offense at most things that locals do.

Don't accept the face value price when spending money. Always negotiate. Worst you can do is pay what you would have paid anyway. The merchants have a "foreigner price" and a "local" price.

·
Premium Member
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks, Notorious and HK.

Notorious: I'll remember to be chill about personal space (or the lack thereof) and negotiate.

HK: Excellent club recommendations -thank you. What's the deal with cover charges there? Are they negotiable? It looks like House closed down and is replaced by Lantern (same record company runs it, though). I may have to skip Paradise club... I'll see how relaxed this girl is :)

Keep the good ideas coming, gentlemen!

·
6,187 Posts
It's not even the lack of personal space but that they have no concept of a queue. You go line up to pay at a cashier and some people will just walk right in front of you and cut without a thought. The first few times I saw it happen to me, I was in such disbelief that I didn't do anything about it.

After a few days, and more people cutting me off everywhere, I just walk right in front of them and cut back in front of them. The only difference is I look at them while doing it like the uncivilized American that I am. They just ignored it for the most part like they expected me to cut them off right back. Strange experience.

·
Premium Member
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Notorious... Well, I'm not going to like THAT very well. It makes me crazy over here (I'm a little OCD, and that is very disorderly!) already... oh boy...

·
Registered
37 Posts

·
Premium Member
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'll be interested to see how that plays out when I arrive, Notorious. Thanks again for the info.

splsaab: Thank you for the ideas and the links. the summer Palace looks especially sweet.

Are there any Car-related things to do in Beijing? My friend there didn't seem to think so... I'm going to Google and see about a track.

It looks like one for cars and one for go carts... Can anyone confirm?

·
Registered
6,226 Posts
It's not even the lack of personal space but that they have no concept of a queue. You go line up to pay at a cashier and some people will just walk right in front of you and cut without a thought. The first few times I saw it happen to me, I was in such disbelief that I didn't do anything about it.

After a few days, and more people cutting me off everywhere, I just walk right in front of them and cut back in front of them. The only difference is I look at them while doing it like the uncivilized American that I am. They just ignored it for the most part like they expected me to cut them off right back. Strange experience.
You are dame right, as they have to queue in their last 60+ years :D

·
Registered
6,226 Posts
I'll be interested to see how that plays out when I arrive, Notorious. Thanks again for the info.

splsaab: Thank you for the ideas and the links. the summer Palace looks especially sweet.

Are there any Car-related things to do in Beijing? My friend there didn't seem to think so... I'm going to Google and see about a track.

It looks like one for cars and one for go carts... Can anyone confirm?
Yes, yes, yes, Beijing is the biggest parking lot in Asia now, Bangkok was the biggest.

·
6,187 Posts
You are dame right, as they have to queue in their last 60+ years :D
They had to queue for their ration of 1 small bowl of rice in water and 1 piece of vegetable for the whole family thanks to Uncle Mao's insanity which killed 60 million Chinese.

·
Premium Member
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I'll be looking into tracks -thanks for the heads up on that! I leave Sunday, so any last minute tips are appreciated!

·
Premium Member
289 Posts
When I go to Beijing I hire a taxi for the day, about $80-100 USD. He will take you everywhere and wait for you while you visit the Great Wall, Forbidden City, etc. Better than a formal tour because you'll see alot more and you don't have to deal with a bunch of boring strangers.

Also, I've been to the Chinese Grand Prix in Shanghai twice and it's an amazing experience.

If you haven't been before go to a hair salon and get a "shampoo". It takes about 30 minutes and includes a soothing scalp and neck massage and it's wonderful....about $5! Finally, China is famous for the best massages in the world (real, not micky mouse...they have those too).

·
Premium Member
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Tha nx, cool4re!

Massages are on the books :clap:

1 - 20 of 28 Posts