The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if anyone has had an issue with the rivnuts(nutserts) that are used to secure the the bellypans. I had to have 7 of them drilled out and replaced due to them spinning and not allowing the bolt to be removed. To me this seems to be a workmanship issue in the maufacture process but apparently Lotus sees this as a maintainace issue and did not cover it under warranty.
Has anyone else had similar problems with their cars?

·
Premium Member
7,540 Posts
Sounds like a service tech with uncontrolled use of torque. Never had any issues but that is exactly how it happens. Defintely a warranty issue or up to dealer to cover. This is NOT a routine maintenance issue!!!

·
Registered
4,922 Posts
If a shop is doing the work, then they might be tightening them too much. It could be a corrosion issue. Or it could be a problem with the design, panels too thin, materials too soft, wrong rivnut used for the above...

It's pretty easy for it to be #1. And they should replace them unless they can show it was corrosion.

If you are doing the work, try using a pry bar or screw driver to pry up under the head of the bolt or to separate the panels, sometimes that is enough to keep the rivnut from spinning.

·
Registered
07 Exige S
1,659 Posts
I had a issue with one of mine and it was eating time with no hope of getting it out. Someone posted a thread where they drew in the tooth edge of a power saw blade until the resistance was so much that it allowed it come come free.

It worked like a charm. I even was able to get it out with not so much effort.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Had the same problem with my Elise, luckily it happened when it was being serviced. Ther fix was to put a couple of welds either side of the nut. Don't forget to protect the electrics if you decide to use a welder!

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the input. I couldn't see the reasoning behind them calling it a maintenance problem especially with my rear pan that I always antiseize coat the bolts when they come out and on my front pan they were as installed by the factory. I have to guess the guy in Hethel who was working the rivnut gun on the day my car was made had a few too many pints at lunch. I'll push the issue a little more with the Lotus tech rep.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts