The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Belly Up Tavern. Nice little musical venue with loads of atmosphere. Saturday June 19th. I am going. I thought I would throw this out as an informal thing, because I like to promote this band and it would be a good time.

A band I help out and enjoy listening to is playing. Well, they are actually not playing. They are playing icognito as a cover band, because they enjoy it.

The band has reached a new level of success in of all places, The Netherlands and now to some extent in Belgium and Germany. Sony is heavily promoting them there and producing their European CDs and DVDs.

The band normally is called Venice and a common reaction from friends I have dragged to a concert is "how come these guys are not famous?" Good question. They are relatively well known though in the music business, providing vocals to many other musicians such as Melissa Eheridge, Billy Bob Thornton, Dav Koz, Warren Zevon, Don Henley....and playing for shows like The Simpsons and various movies and such.

What kind of music does Venice play?
Venice is "officially" described as either Rock, Folk-Rock, Country-Folk-Rock, Adult Contemporary or Vocal Group, depending upon the source. Their sound is most often compared to the Southern California sound of 1970's groups like the Eagles, CSN and Fleetwood Mac. David Crosby (yes, that David Crosby!) describes Venice as "the best vocal group in the country, and one of the best groups of any kind I have ever heard."
Okay, cover songs. What kind.

One band member, Kipp Lennon, has an amazing ability to mimic other artists both in voice and manner. He does a geat Mick Jagger, Prince, Elvis, and more. Expect to hear-
What are some of the cover songs that Venice has performed as encores?
Already Gone - The Eagles
Big Yellow Taxi - Joni Mitchell
Blue Christmas - Elvis Presley
Brown Eyed Girl - Van Morrison
Can We Still Be Friends - Todd Rundgren
Carry On - Crosby, Stills and Nash
Could You Be Loved - Bob Marley
Crazy Love - Poco
Desperado - The Eagles
Drive My Car - The Beatles
Feelin' Alright - Dave Mason / Joe Cocker
Get Together - The Youngbloods
Guinnevere - Crosby, Stills and Nash
Here Comes the Sun - The Beatles
Honkey Tonk Women - The Rolling Stones
I Can See Clearly Now - Johnny Nash
I Can't Make You Love Me - Bonnie Raitt
I Got A Line On You - Spirit
In My Adobe Hacienda - Lennon Brothers
I Want You Back - Jackson Five
Kiss - Prince
Landslide - Fleetwood Mac
Lean On Me - Bill Withers
Long Train Running - Doobie Brothers
Love the One You're With - Steven Stills
Magic Carpet Ride - Steppenwolf
Message In A Bottle - The Police
My Funny Valentine - standard (written by Richard Rodgers)
Nobody's Girl - Bonnie Raitt
Ohio - Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young
Peaceful Easy Feeling - The Eagles
Piece of My Heart - Janis Joplin
Play That Funky Music - Wild Cherry
Rock N Roll Hoochie Koo - Rick Derringer
Scarborough Faire - Traditional (Lennon Sisters arrangement)
Sing A Simple Song - Sly and the Family Stone
So Lonely - The Police
Stars - Dan Fogelberg
Star Spangled Banner - Francis Scott Key
Stuck In the Middle With You - Stealers Wheel
Sweet Emotion - Aerosmith
The Times, They Are A-Changin' - Bob Dylan
Under the Boardwalk - Drifters
We Can Work It Out - The Beatles
What's Goin' On - Marvin Gaye
Winter Wonderland - Burl Ives
With A Little Help From My Friends - Joe Cocker version
Woodstock - Crosby, Stills and Nash
Young Americans - David Bowie
The band's pseudo name is Pine Mountain Logs. They are from Venice California and are related to the family that has spawned a lot of music including the Lennon Sisters.

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
If you are interested in going, let me know or just show up. :)

I like to go to the restaurant inside the Belly Up. It's called The Wild Note and has one of the best hamburgers and other nice dinners...and a great house salad. Plus you get good parking and get in a little early. You would need reservations at The Wild Note.

You have to be there at least an hour early to get good seats. It's always a madhouse. If you get there later, you will sit in the back. If you plan on standing/dancing, then it won't matter.

BUT http://www.bellyup.com/club.html
Wild Note http://www.wildnote.com/ (check out the menus)

I highly recommend buying tickets directly from BUT and not using ticketmaster. Tickets are $15. Expect a late night because they tend to play past midnight. Sometimes past 1:00am. COncert is scheduled to start at 9:15pm, so I plan on being inside by 8:00pm. They also have a food menu inside. There is an opening band.

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Pity bump. :)

·
Registered
2,744 Posts
Maybe I'll go Randy. Wouldnt want you to be lonesome :)

Maybe* I'll drive my fiat there :D

(*Cough...that was a big maybe, the previous maybe was more likely)

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well cool. Maybe we will see you. :)

I have dinner reservations for 7:00pm. so I will be around all night. If you want to join us for dinner, let me know.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts