The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had just gotten the clam off in order to pull the head and was starting by removing the serpentine belt. Couldn't figure out where to lever on the tensioner to loosen the belt until staring at it for a while and noticing a chunk missing. Well, I was able to remove the belt with an adjustable wrench on a web of the tensioner but I still want to replace it. I can't get the big bolt all the way out, it touches the frame. Suggestions?

·
Registered
577 Posts
You have to disconnect all of the motor mounts but the driver's side one and then hoist or jack the engine up at an angle so you can get it out. It sucks, but there's no way around it.

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
How do you have the weirdest problems?! rotfl First the seat belt bolt, now the belt tensioner arm! You sir, have terrible luck.

Deja Vu is correct. You have to remove the engine mounts and lift up the engine. It's a big pain in the sausage. Not difficult, just time consuming.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Mine just broke too.. has anyone tried using a C-clamp to compress the spring?

·
Registered
233 Posts
That is actually how I solved the problem.. used a 2x4 as a prop.. just seemed really dangerous.. What have you used as a prop?

·
Registered
2,524 Posts
That's just a piece of 3/8" (or thereabouts) trim in my photo. I put it under the end of the bolt that attaches the tensioner to the arm. The threads bite into the wood so it is unlikely to slip. Seems to work well although I guess that thin stick could split now that I think about it. I'll probably use something tougher, like hickory, next time.

·
Registered
605 Posts
Tensioner bolt removal

I had to remove my belt tensioner last weekend and was able to do it by removing just the passenger side engine mount and the bolt going through the rear one. I was able to leave the front one attached, that one is a PITA to get out.
Then jack up the engine and it is just just high enough to get the bolt out.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts