The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
933 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there any real benefit to adding a rear wing to a front wheel drive car?

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
Wing is about downforce. Driving wheel location doesn't change that. You still want more downforce on BOTH ends of the car for turning. NOt just downforce on the wheels applying power.

Probably will not help for drag racing.

·
Registered
317 Posts
The aftermarket wings added to most FWD cars by the ricer crowd have no real performance benefit. In fact, the car will likely be slower because of the additional drag. If the wing did manage to work as intended and added significant downforce at the rear of the car, it would tend to add downforce primarily at the rear making a FWD car even more prone to understeer.

Aerodynamics aides like wings, splitters, spoilers, diffusers, etc. only have real performance benefits when they are added in balance and thoroughly tested i.e. Lotus 78 and after

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
Yep. They tend to add rear wings only which loses balance ... and a good wing will make the car slower in a straight line.. which is ironically really the only thing most of them care about.

·
Registered
933 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks - I thought that adding the downforce on the back would reduce the traction up front.

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
What it does do on a fwd race car, is allow you to set up the car fairly loose. This makes the car rotate better at low speeds, but more stable at high speeds. The best of both worlds.

·
Registered
4,451 Posts
Does anyone else appreciate the irony of "FWD race car"? :)

·
Registered
9,297 Posts
:wave:
I do...

...right up until I see what those orange and white Acuras can do.
:eek:

·
Registered
4,451 Posts
Oh the NSX's? Those are Mid-engine RWD like our Lotus. The S2000's, they're Front-engine RWD like a 7. :p

(Obviously I'm just kidding, but I don't see much point to the 'Tegs, except to sell more Civics/Tegs/RSXs when there are plenty of S2000s and NSXs to go 'round)

·
Registered
4,451 Posts
^^^ Of course, let's just say I'm very opinionated on the topic :)

I've seen too many friends "piss into the wind" trying to convert their everyman FWD whatever into a "race car" spending countless hours and dollars in the process, when they could've just bought an AWD or RWD platform that was designed to do what they want to emulate in the first place.

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
Someone posted this on another forum, i guess lifting the rear end will help add more weight to the front wheels

I have been trying to figure out if this was pure stupidity, or if there really was a reason for angling it that way. I'm leaning towards stupidity.

I do laugh when i see a rear wing on a FWD car with nothing to balance it out up front.

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
A little historical perspective on FWD racing. It started in the 70's with showroom stock classes in SCCA and NASA. The attraction was cheap cars with abundant parts available. Surprisingly, some real race car drivers found racing FWD cars to be fun and challenging and there has been steady growth of FWD racing ever since. The Speed Challenge series being the most visible segment. I think the Realtime TSX's and RSX's and Mazda Speed 6's are real race cars and PD Cunningham, Pierre Klienubing, and Randy Pobst are real race car drivers. And yes they have funtional wings.:rolleyes:

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
The World Challenge cars are insanely fast. As are ChaseCam drivers, Randy Pobst and Jeff Altenburg. :)

Randy is now running in SPEED World Challenge GT only (KPAX Porsche), not Touring Car (Altenburg is doing both). Randy is also running in the Koni Challenge series.

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
thanks for backing me up, weary of the pointless FWD bashing. Yes, we all know RWD is better.

·
Registered
9,294 Posts
The aftermarket wings added to most FWD cars by the ricer crowd have no real performance benefit. In fact, the car will likely be slower because of the additional drag.
and a good wing will make the car slower in a straight line.. which is ironically really the only thing most of them care about.

I have been trying to figure out if this was pure stupidity, or if there really was a reason for angling it that way. I'm leaning towards stupidity.

I do laugh when i see a rear wing on a FWD car with nothing to balance it out up front.
Around here they are called "West Virginia Air Brakes." (No offense intended to the folks from WVa ;)).

·
Registered
4,437 Posts
most wings ive seen on FWD cars dont look very functional at all.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 31 Posts