The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ahh crap, the autocross weekend was pretty good and the Lotus was hooking up, but... I came around a sweeper and on my 5th run and bent my front right rota slipstream! I smashed into the caliper and I came to a quick stop.

I just put it back on to see how bent it is and it is pretty bad. One of the 5 spokes touches the caliper and the rest don't. The bend is very obvious when you "try" to spin the wheel.

Now this is two bent wheels in about 6 autocrosses and this is getting very expensive.

I got all 8 of my Rota wheels from Blacwatching racing and I was told I wouldn't have any problems with autocrossing....

Maybe this is turning out to be an expensive mistake.

Help.

Chris

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
You didn't hit anything? What tires are you running? What type of suspension?

·
Registered
3,185 Posts
did you bend the wheels hitting cones???

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
my setup

Hoosier A6 205/45 front and 245/40 rear with LSS suspension. The runway surfaces at our autocross location vary from super high grip to low grip and this past course had some high speed sweepers. I bent it coming into a breaking zone where I used a lot of trail braking to get the car to rotate.

·
Registered
3,185 Posts
Solution: time for new wheels...

·
Registered
17 Posts
I'd start contacting your tire and wheel manufacturers and demand some answers. Who knows, maybe 1 of them will buy/give you a new set

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
That doesn't sound right at all, you sure you didn't hit a pothole in the pavement or something? A wheel shouldn't bend from just the cornering force.

·
Super Moderator
2,844 Posts
That doesn't sound right at all, you sure you didn't hit a pothole in the pavement or something? A wheel shouldn't bend from just the cornering force.
+1

If they bend under normal cornering stress, there is something wrong with those wheels and you don't want them on your car.

BTW, I would take a good look at that caliper that stopped the bent wheel to make sure it wasn't damaged from the impact.

·
Registered
135 Posts
FWIW I've been autocrossing on Rotas for a little under a year and a half and I've had no problems. I was on Hoosiers for a few months before switching to AO48s (couldn't tow the car anymore) and didn't have any problems.

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
Eh?

Why does this not surprise me.
OK, I'll bite. Why does this not surprise you? Do you have anything specific on Rota Slipstreams that the rest of us should know?

And if so, why not just come out and state it, rather than leave innuendo hanging out there? -poke-

:popcorn:

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Track Surface

When I slightly bent the one wheel last year I know I didn't hit anything on the course. I just know I came back from a run and I could hear it slightly scraping up against the caliper. The first was a very slightly bend.

The course this past weekend had a turn over top of the transition between the runways. The transition is not the smoothest piece of pavement in the world. There was a pothole in that area, but it was near the middle of the track and my right wheel should have been to the right of the pothole. Maybe it was the constant G-load plus the instantaneous G-load of transitioning onto the other surface.

The G loads on CPR's runways are very high. This event we started on the runway instead of the paddock area and I couldn't spin the tires if the world depended on it. The grip is very high o R-compound tires.

Nearly everyone else had R-compound tires and was crossing over the area in the same spot. No one else bent any wheels and I was easily the lightest car there.

I don't consider the Rota's lightweight fraggle wheels. If I was running $3,000 wheels that were super light I would agree.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
BWR

I'll contact them and see if they have any ideas. I have another autocross coming up soon and I hope I can get something figured out soon. My wife and I are trying to get as much seat time as possible and we need to start hitting other region.

Thanks, everyone.

Chris

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Calipers

Well you know where it says Lotus and those lines on the caliper? Those were partially scratched off. Since those raise up from the surface it didn't damage the body of the caliper. Make not look great, but not the end of the world.

·
Registered
2,360 Posts
Hmn this is troubling I was considering ordering a set for my new elise. My old car was a subaru STi and I was always pleased with rota's quality. Many years ago there was a bad batch of wheels from rota, but after that nobody in the comunity had any problems with them. Even with a 3300lb car on Hoosiers.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Yeah, when the one wheel slight scraped the caliper last year I thought it was a fluke and maybe some how the wheel was on a bit crooked. Though now that it happened to the other wheel and much worse I suspect that the other wheel was bending.

I think is the autocross surface was completely flat and no irregularities I wouldn't have any problems. Though I rarely see an autocross surface that has no issues.

I am going to suggest to the club that we make that when the track cross over any irregularities we make it perpendicular to limit the lateral stress on the wheels during a G shock.

Though you would think on a 2000lbs car that even a G shock at 40mph wouldn't bend the wheel this much.

All 4 other spokes on the wheel clear the caliper, but one is bent so much that it touches the caliper.

There is no visible damage to the outside wheel or tire. Only damage is on the inside where the caliper chewed up the wheel.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts