The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
487 Posts
You've bent two wheels while autocrossing with CPR on an airport course????

I can't believe it. Those would have to be the worst wheels in the world to have been damaged without hitting anything. Any more to the story?

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
Exactly. Need more details. And pictures.

Have you contacted the vendor or manufacturer? What did they say?

This reminds me of a big hoopla about broken Rotas on Subarus a few years ago. At the root of it there were apparently some wheels that indeed broke. Rota identified a faulty batch, and replaced the weels without any trouble. Then it was blown way out of proportion, partly by people with business interests aligned with other wheel manufacturers.

·
Vendor
3,224 Posts
Give us a call in a bit(reading ET over breakfast) and we'll help get it sorted.

·
Registered
9,150 Posts
At CPR? Been there- there's nothing to hit there, and it's a smooth surface. Unless you left said smooth surface to do a little yard work? :confused: You sure it didn't happen before your run? I read your thread and I just have a hard time believing cornering force could damage a Rota. Lots of folks run them on Elise, probably some with more force than you put on them, and I've never heard of such a thing. Maybe you got a bad batch, but it sure sounds weird.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Track surface

This is from this thread: http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f3/bent-my-rota-slipstream-wheels-57393/

My rota wheels don't go on the car until I get to the autocross. This happened on the 5th run and was fine up until then.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

When I slightly bent the one wheel last year I know I didn't hit anything on the course. I just know I came back from a run and I could hear it slightly scraping up against the caliper. The first was a very slightly bend and on a different wheel then the one that bend this past weekend.

The course this past weekend had a turn over top of the transition between the runways. The transition is not the smoothest piece of pavement in the world. There was a pothole in that area, but it was near the middle of the track and my right wheel should have been to the right of the pothole. Maybe it was the constant G-load plus the instantaneous G-load of transitioning onto the other surface.

The G loads on CPR's runways are very high. This event we started on the runway instead of the paddock area and I couldn't spin the tires if the world depended on it. The grip is very high on R-compound tires.

Nearly everyone else had R-compound tires and was crossing over the area in the same spot. No one else bent any wheels and I was easily the lightest car there. The transition between the runway in that area has a crest there and as soon as I went over that the wheel went "bang!" into the caliper and I came to a stop.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts