The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hit a pothole tonight. My rim is bent. Grrr...

1) Is this dangerous? The car drives normally.

2) Any real chance something else is broken? Again, The car drives normally.

3) Can this type of thing be fixed?

Attachments

·
Registered
9,786 Posts
I hit a pothole tonight. My rim is bent. Grrr...

1) Is this dangerous? The car drives normally.

2) Any real chance something else is broken? Again, The car drives normally.

3) Can this type of thing be fixed?
1) I wouldn't feel very good driving on that rim. It looks as if some of the tire's bead is exposed, and if that's the case, there's a chance you could blow out that sidewall.

2) There's a chance, but you're probably OK. I'd take a look at the suspension and pick up points anyway. I'd check the alignment too.

3) Possibly. If the rim is not cracked it may be fixable.

·
Super Moderator
2,844 Posts
1) I wouldn't feel very good driving on that rim. It looks as if some of the tire's bead is exposed, and if that's the case, there's a chance you could blow out that sidewall.

2) There's a chance, but you're probably OK. I'd take a look at the suspension and pick up points anyway. I'd check the alignment too.

3) Possibly. If the rim is not cracked it may be fixable.
+1 (or is that +3 :shrug:) for the above.

I would add that the rim looks to be repairable, but you won't know for sure until it is examined for cracks after the tire is removed. Also, you should check the inner lip of the rim for damage because it will bend much easier than the outside of the rim and it may actually be more damaged than the outer lip you are showing in the photo. You will also want the sidewalls of the tire examined carefully after it is removed from the rim to check for damage at the spot of the impact.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts