The Lotus Cars Community banner
  • Hi there! Why not register as a user to enjoy all of the benefits of the site? You may register here. When you register, please pick a username that is non-commercial. If you use a name that appears on any search engine commercially, you must pick another name, whether it applies to you or not. Commercial usernames are for supporting vendor use only. If you want to become a supporting vendor and grow your business, please follow this link. Thanks!

Bent stud on Elise Roll Hoop Cover

1K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  nygaard 
#1 ·
Has anyone dealt with this before?

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
What the.....? What animal took the roll bar cover off? Any marks on the cover where they used the pry bar? But to be more serious, I've never seen that. It almost looks like the stud has some stretch to it also, weird. Good luck!

#3 ·
my car didn't come with a roll bar cover, so i bought one used. the part that i purchased has bent studs (not quite so severe as yours).

the bent studs are hard to see in pictures in my other thread:
https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f259/beneath-gullwing-roof-451217/

i tried applying some force to bend the studs back, but gave up before breaking the fiberglass bond; i was not able to bend the part back to straight.

in spite of this the stud still fits through the clam mount hole. when i have the roll bar cover installed, i don't put nuts on to those studs. the cover seems to stay in place well enough.

#4 ·
I'd try some nuts to see how far they thread down. If I remember correctly, the nuts don't thread on too many turns and would probably be tight before they get to the bends. You can always add a few washers to assure that the nuts don't get to the bend too. I would be hesitant to bending them back for fear of cracking the fiberglass, just as Obeisance stated!

#5 ·
I ended up getting it back into decent shape a bit by threading on the nut with a nut driver and applying a little pressure to slowly bend it back as I unscrewed it. The nut driver, being similar shape/size of a normal screwdriver, gave a nice amount of leverage while not too much. The previous owner had some sort of rear end incident and cobbled together the repair. Fortunately the clam itself wasn't a poorly repaired replacement - it appears to not have had any major damage.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.