The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My other big thing is watches. I think in many ways they draw on the same things in me that cars do, mainly a sense of mechanical beauty. Unfortunately they can get as expensive as cars. But, luckily, i don't need to make space in the garage every time i pick up a new one ;)

-Steve

·
Registered
3,577 Posts
offroadr35 said:
My other big thing is watches. I think in many ways they draw on the same things in me that cars do, mainly a sense of mechanical beauty. Unfortunately they can get as expensive as cars. But, luckily, i don't need to make space in the garage every time i pick up a new one ;)

-Steve
I'd love to collect watches, as I am also drawn to them. Unfortunately I can barely afford my internal combustion habit as it is. The only nice watch that I have is my Baume & Mercier Capeland chronograph. I love it very much, but I'm drawn to a lot of other automatics (which I have to talk myself out of periodically).

I have the same problem with firearms. I want a lot of them, but have a hard time justifying purchasing a bunch of guns that I'm not going to shoot.

·
Registered
963 Posts
offroadr35 said:
just to be clear, i'm talking about material things.
I'm a sucker for DVDs and CDs. Over 650 movies and over 1,000 CDs. :(

·
Registered
3,664 Posts
Collecting: Vintage synthesizers (though I also use them), vintage computers/parts, model cars, robots, music, old video games.

Interests: Computers, electronics in general, paintball, wakeboarding, waverunners, boating, ice hockey, reptiles/amphibians (used to be "collecting", but I don't have time for that anymore), electronic music production, scuba diving... and many more.

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
Books and movies and music were my habits.

At one time, I had over 2000 laserdiscs and over 500 DVDs. Most of them I have never seen, I just like to have them. I have maybe 1000 CDs.

Same with books, though I have stopped buying them. Lots of books I would like to someday read.

Previously, I seemed to collect used racing tires and rims. :)

I also collected certain music based stuff. Signed lithographs from Roger Waters and Roger Daltrey are on my walls. I have a lot of Alice Cooper stuff too. Oh... Twin Peaks (the TV show) stuff. I should get rid of a lot of that. Oh... I also have the Alien/Aliens sculptures.

Now.. I don't actively collect anything except racing trophies :). The wife collects antique furniture.

·
Registered
7,610 Posts
Just sports cars and sports bikes. Anything more would bankrupt me.

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
- Books (about food and cooking, cars and racing, and just about everything else esp. non-fiction - history, current events etc.)

- CD's (all kinds of music, lately interested in electronic music/remixes but also lots of jazz (esp. Miles Davis!), world music, classic artists like Bowie, Leonard Cohen, Roxy Music)

- Elise Models ! :p

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
Can't think of anything I collect just for the sake of collecting. I have a massive number of novels, though. I only buy other stuff as needed for my hobbies... cars, scuba, sailing, climbing, hiking, camping, snowboarding, etc., etc.

I wish I had more CDs/DVDs... just never seem to get around to buying them. And my wardrobe is looking pretty sorely neglected. Getting ready to transition to the civilian workforce, and noticing that pretty much all my 'civvies' are worn out t-shirts and jeans. :(

Cade

·
Registered
5,607 Posts
Other than way too many cars... We also seemed to have amassed a large collection of high end mountain bikes and seemingly snowboards. I added it up once and we have almost $70,000 in Mountain bikes. Yes...its a sickness.

Anything car or race related seem to build up in the garage too, in fact at one point we had so many race rims/tires that we even had them stacked in our recreation room. But then I also have a jet ski currently sitting in my office floor.......so who knows.

Randy, I was in High School when Twin Peaks was on and I LOVED that show, I and I do mean LOVED. It was bizarre, my interest in the show and the show itself. I have some of the books and things that were out at the time the show was on. What kind of TP stuff do you have?

Offroad, a friend of ours collects watches too, he gave me a Patek Phillipe and I lost it. :( I now have a fossil watch. LOL

·
Registered
724 Posts
pool cues, all kinds of antique pharmacy/medical stuff. wooden shaft golf clubs just about anything i can "steal" at an antique store or flea market.

·
Registered
2017 Evora 400
5,638 Posts
I think I'll start collecting Trunk Monkeys.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Randy and Jen,
If you thought TP was bizarre have you seen David Lynch's first movie called Eraserhead? The DVD is now available but only from Lynch's website, the ordering process is interesting.

·
Registered
5,607 Posts
Yep, Ive seen parts of Eraserhead..it was TOO weird even for me.

Oh yeah, I also collect cats..kind of. :) Used to do animal rescue and ended up bringing several home.

Here's one of the gang....this is "my" cat , she favors me. Her name is "baby bird" ( dont ask). I shot a photo of her this afternoon. Here's a shot of her dreaming about the new Elise.

Attachments

·
Registered
169 Posts
I'm selling most of my collections on ebay to pay for the Elise!

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
James A said:
Randy and Jen,
If you thought TP was bizarre have you seen David Lynch's first movie called Eraserhead? The DVD is now available but only from Lynch's website, the ordering process is interesting.
I collected most of Lynch's work. I admire the atmosphere of Eraserhead, but it's scores a zero on rewatchability. It's more disturbing than enjoyable.

Loved Mullholland Drive. Lost Highway. Industrial Symphony 1. Twin Peaks. Blue Velvet. Elephant Man. Wild at Heart.

Dune was okay... but I was disappointed in it.

He did a few things before Eraserhead, though not well known.

Jenn, I have the "Wrapped in Plastic" magazines. Audio tapes from Cooper. The Diary of Laura Palmer. TP mug. Not too much.

1 - 20 of 81 Posts