The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have a piece broken off the bottom half of the steering wheel cowling, plus at least one of the other screw holes are toast:

Finger Carbon Personal protective equipment Auto part Helmet
Automotive tire Grey Asphalt Rim Gas

What's the best adhesive that would work on this type of plastic and any thoughts on how to strengthen the repair as the thickness of the material alone alone isn't going to cut it. I was thinking of either tape (would that be rigid enough) or another piece on the inside (assuming I can match the contours).

For the screw holes, was just going to glue a black washer there assuming it doesn't stick out of the edge too far. (Inside, outside, or both).

I do have another new piece, but the existing one has a couple of custom switches bonded in and transferring those (I think) would be a much bigger undertaking.

·
Administrator
13,550 Posts
If you have switches mounted to it I don't feel any glue would work well with the extra weight ad wires tugging. Maybe do a WTB for used and don't bond switches to it in the future. Do you have photo of the switches? Could they be relocated or mounted on plate and cover go over that?

·
Registered
40 Posts
I repair lots of plastic bits with a hot stapler. Do it from the unseen side, holds really well. Just Ned the plastic to be thick enough for the staple to embed in the middle. Also a wonderful tool for repair all of my 5 year olds broken toys

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I repair lots of plastic bits with a hot stapler. Do it from the unseen side, holds really well. Just Ned the plastic to be thick enough for the staple to embed in the middle. Also a wonderful tool for repair all of my 5 year olds broken toys
Thank you. Exactly what I need. I can also twist a couple of the staples into circles, to reinforce the screw holes.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts