The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Please let's not turn this into a pissing match. If you have run a pad and it worked well or sucked, that is what I want to know.

I don't like the stock Brembos at all. The pedal feel is "meh" when hot and they make tons and tons of dust that is ruining my wheels. An afternoon at autocross leaves my black wheels to the point where they are dark red. If it's not washed off well right away it eats into the wheel. -eek-

I run the car a bit on the roads, but it's main use is autocross/time trail racing.

What pad will work well for race use but still keep the wheels clean? I have owned TONS of cars over the years and have never had trouble with brake dust. Some of my vehicles haven't been washed in a couple years and the front wheels are just as clean as the rear... with little to no sign of brake dust.

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
I don't think there is a magic pad that is great on the track and is low dust, usually low dust pads have relatively low friction levels only really good for street applications. That being said I have always been a fan of the Pagid RS14 (Black) compound but have recently switched over to Porterfield R4 pads, they seem similar to the Pagid's just cheaper. I don't find brake dust to be too crazy with either pad.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I use Hawk HP+. They are amazing for the track, but squeeeeeeeeal everywhere and dust quite a bit. However with the new Ethos rims and moderate washing I haven't really noticed any issues.

·
Older but getting faster
523 Posts
I'm very happy with my Pagid Blue's. Tremendous stopping power.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Somewhat related question here. I got my Elise 5 years old and it's the only one I've been in so I'm not sure the brakes are right. It stops very well, but there is a lot of initial pedal travel that I don't like. Is this normal?? I bled the brakes shortly after I got it but they feel the same. They have the original pads and rotors still but both are in very good shape with 23k miles on it. They also dust so badly that I downgraded to the 8 spoke wheels so I didn't have to floss the split spokes every time I drove it. Even so my split spokes are now stained from the brake dust from when I autocross (they have slicks on them now).

I've had good luck with EBC pads in the past with other cars. Do Lotus's take kindly to EBC pads? No talk of them thus far.

·
Registered
1,990 Posts
It stops very well, but there is a lot of initial pedal travel that I don't like. Is this normal??
yes its normal... to an extent (as long as its not overly mushy & needing to be pushed to the floor in order to stop otherwise there might be air in the line)

by design you will always have some initial travel in the pedal if you use the factory rubber lines since they expand a little before holding fluid pressure.

to firm that up, go get yourself a set of stainless steel braided lines... they don’t expand like the stock lines do & change the feel of the pedal/braking to a nice firm one

for example:
http://www.sector111.com/products/performance/brake_bits/stainless_steel_brake_lines.cfm

i used to use Goodridge SS lines on my last car & it made a nice difference so ill probably be picking up another set for the elise during my next brake fluid change

·
He's on fire!
3,256 Posts

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
As stated before there is no magic pad that does everything. There is always a compromise and balance between price, operational temperature, dusting, rotor eating, wheel eating, etc.

FWIW I run Carbotech panther plus (their street pad) on the street, and their XP10 (and potentially XP12) at the track. Downsides is they are somewhat expensive, and they dust a ton, but they perform very well, take heat well, and aren't too abrasive on rotors.

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I fully agree, maybe I should explain a bit better...

I'm looking for a good set of pads for race use that have lower dust than the stock Brembos... but something that will be "liveable" if I drive the car on the street a few hundred miles a month.

·
Registered
4,879 Posts
I like Ferodo DS2500, they aren't too expensive. They do dust though.

I have some race pads that coated my wheels win an insane amount of dust (4mm of pad material lost in 2 weeks of street driving), I solved that problem with Armor All Wheel protectant... Works like magic! Wheels were completely clean even after a track day with the same pads.

·
Premium Member
5,193 Posts
I had Pagid pads and hated them on the street. Just put on some Ferodos and so far they do not squeal and squeak like the Pagids. Too soon to tell on the dusting though.

·
Vendor
6,305 Posts
I fully agree, maybe I should explain a bit better...

I'm looking for a good set of pads for race use that have lower dust than the stock Brembos... but something that will be "liveable" if I drive the car on the street a few hundred miles a month.
Nate- you don't have a "real" road course in AK, right? Don't take that in a negative way. Just trying to place the right part...

For a road course only where the *average* speeds are in the 100+mph range, noise, and dust are of no concern, you've got CL RC-6/8s, Ferodo Race pads, C-techs. Simple as that. No need to look further, IMO...

For street/track, ie aggressive street driving, to AX, and track days--- a one stop shop for pads, where some dust is OK, but very little noise is preferred, the RC5+ and Ferodo 2500 as Vulcan mentioned are great.

Pagids, Hawks, etc... well, they are what they are, but that aren't what the above are, IMO...

Phil

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
No road course racing like you are thinking. Tanacross is the only thing kinda like that but it's a time trail. That race is 2 times a year. It's run on an old air strip, the track works to be a bit over a mile and you do 2 laps at a time. Speed is around 30-40mph carried through the tight turns and WOT on the straights, I was hitting 125-130 thought the higher powered stuff can really haul!

Most of the driving is auto cross where it's mainly 2nd gear sometimes 3rd.

The stock brakes aren't terrible, and if it wasn't for the dusting I would just run them till they were done. It's just the dust really eats into the wheels and I don't have time (or desire) to be out cleaning the car every couple days/weeks. I'm usually doing good if my vehicles get washed 3-4 times a year.

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
No road course racing like you are thinking. Tanacross is the only thing kinda like that but it's a time trail. That race is 2 times a year. It's run on an old air strip, the track works to be a bit over a mile and you do 2 laps at a time. Speed is around 30-40mph carried through the tight turns and WOT on the straights, I was hitting 125-130 thought the higher powered stuff can really haul!

Most of the driving is auto cross where it's mainly 2nd gear sometimes 3rd.

The stock brakes aren't terrible, and if it wasn't for the dusting I would just run them till they were done. It's just the dust really eats into the wheels and I don't have time (or desire) to be out cleaning the car every couple days/weeks. I'm usually doing good if my vehicles get washed 3-4 times a year.

It looks like your top priority is dust, but you still want some performance.

You can probably reliabliy autoX on the Porterfield R4S and still keep a very quiet/clean setup.

BigBrakeParts - Your Source For Performance Brake Pads, Rotors, Stainless Lines and Fluid

Try them out and see if the dust level is low enough / performance is good enough as well.

-G

·
Registered
841 Posts
Dust from carbotech pads and the pagid pads do not eat or corrode wheel finishes. Yeah, the dust makes them dirty, but you can wash the dust off easily with no fuss.

Carbone Lorraine pads are very bad with corrosive dust. If it's humid or if there is any water, they will bond to your wheels like cement. It's awful. They also are very hard on rotors. I went from brand new slotted rotors to no-slotted rotors in one weekend on CL-RC6e pads. It was a ridiculously expensive experience.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Dust from carbotech pads and the pagid pads do not eat or corrode wheel finishes. Yeah, the dust makes them dirty, but you can wash the dust off easily with no fuss.

Carbone Lorraine pads are very bad with corrosive dust. If it's humid or if there is any water, they will bond to your wheels like cement. It's awful. They also are very hard on rotors. I went from brand new slotted rotors to no-slotted rotors in one weekend on CL-RC6e pads. It was a ridiculously expensive experience.
I have been running the CL-8's and have had none of the issues you had with the 6e's??? Best pad I have used for track work...It gets messy after a day but they STOP!!! I find the residue easy to wash off and the rotors have held up quite well...Better now that I have switched to the BOE rotors..

·
Registered
841 Posts
I find the residue easy to wash off and the rotors have held up quite well...Better now that I have switched to the BOE rotors..
I know of at least one other Exige driver whose experience sadly mirrored my own (new rotors shot in a single weekend). I think he had RC-6 pads.

I really am happy they worked well for you. I don't know why they work well for you and crap for me and Rich, and that's the problem: there is some unknown factor at work here. Maybe you have a better break-in procedure. maybe I drive more on public roads. Maybe RC-8 is a wildly different compound than RC-6 and RC-6e.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Ferodo 2500 have been berry berry good to me. Livable dust levels and very consistent braking for HDPE / spirited driving. All out racing I would look for something more aggresive but I use these onse for street & track and love em.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts