The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for forum member first hand experiences here...

I need to ship (I hope :rolleyes:) a 2006 Lotus Elise in the very near future from California to New York.

What car transportation company would you use?

It goes without saying that they would be experienced in the proper care and handling of loading, transporting, and unloading of the minimal ground clearance Elise.

Thank you one and all for the help :bow:

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the feedback everyone.

The 3 that came up the most when I searched LotusTalk were:

Intercity Lines
Reliable Carriers
Horseless Carriage

Sounds like I can't go wrong with any one of these. I put in a request for a quote from all 3.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I used DAS to ship my lotus from Texas to Oregon, they where really slow and did not care the car was late I would never them again also they ran the battery dead and did not even bother to charge it up

·
Registered
2,875 Posts
Intercity is a sponser here - and they have offered "discounts" to members - but who knows what that really means (if it's different from a normal quote from the main phone #). maybe PM them and see what's what

and that said, i also used exotic car transport with no problems:

·
Registered
713 Posts
I shipped my Elise from MA to CA using DAS, and it went fine, it took a little over two weeks with the car sitting in a staging area in NJ for about a week. They told me this would be the case, so I had no complaints. I've been looking around right now to ship my other car from RI to CA and while Intercity and Horseless Carriage do offer the best service, they also have the highest prices by a good $400-$500. I just wanted to throw in one positive experience with DAS, they don't seem too bad to me.

·
Registered
9,273 Posts
while Intercity and Horseless Carriage do offer the best service, they also have the highest prices by a good $400-$500.
There is good reason for that. It is far better to pay an "extra" $500 to have your car arrive without incident than to save $500 and have to deal with $8000 worth of damage to your (antique) vehicle upon arrival by going with another company, even if they are "highly recommended"... ask me how I know :wallbang:.

·
Plug Whisperer
6,305 Posts
KCJ- Contact Yoram (Keinyo) on the forums. I use his "Family Guy Trucking" associate frequently when transporting "Loti" to and from our shop. VERY reasonable prices, Shawn (The driver) knows how to handle a Lotus, as he does it all the time. They're honest and good people...

Cheers,

Phil

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks one and all for the feedback!

My California purchase fell through,so I'm still on the hunt for an Elise.

FYI for Lotus Talk member's knowledge, I was quoted about $2,000 to ship from Cali to New York.

Phil, I will definitely look into them when I finally make a deal! BTW, check your PM, looking for your opinion on an Elise....

KCJ

·
Registered
230 Posts
Intercity, Rleliable,Horseless - ALL GOOD.

Stay away from DAS - have read many horror stories.

I have used Road Scholar twice - very happy. They service midwest and east coast.

Jeff

·
Registered
37 Posts
KCjohnny,

Intercity Lines will be glad to give you a LotusTalk price on a move, once you find another vehicle.

And yes, def, we do offer a discount to our LotusTalk forum members. We give a discount off our normal retail rate.

Thanks,
Jim
Intercity Lines
America's Premier Enclosed Auto Transport Company for vintage race cars, collector cars, classic car, show cars, antique car, concours and auction transport: Automobile transportation is our only business - Door to door car transport service from Int

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
My brother does auto transport for a living. He shipped my Porsche for me from Boston to California to the buyer and he was thrilled with the service. They do a great job looking over the car prior to loading and then a review of it with the customers when it gets unloaded.

Www.ondemandtransport.com

My brothers name is John.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

·
Registered
309 Posts
I saw in one of these threads about transport that it was customary to tip the driver, is that the case? If so, what is the norm?

·
Premium Member
252 Posts
Autosport Design (Great N Y Lotus dealer) highly recommended Horseless Carriage to ship my Exige to CA. I used them and they were perfect.

·
Registered
135 Posts
I've used Intercity on multiple occasions. Have always been pleased with the service/updates, and have never had a problem.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts