The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
2,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I would like to purchase a pair of casual driving shoes that cam double as track shoes. I under stand that true driving shoes can really make all the difference, and trying to get my heel toe down shifting smooth, but its hard when I don't know where foot is in reference to the pedals.

So I am looking at pilotis but don't know much about them, other than they have been in the driving business for a long time. Looked at a pair of Oakley driving shoes, but wasn't a huge fan for the price. Found out adidas teamed with Goodyear and made some driving shoes, and I love adidas and I know my shoe size in that brand specific.

But we have some drivers who are also racers here, so I have to ask. I have $90 to spend, what do suggest?

·
Registered
3,637 Posts
Piloti = most comfortable, lots of colors, strictly a driving shoe.
Puma Motorsport = Not as comfortable, lots of colors/styles, skinnier, lighter and more thin than the piloti...

Right now I've got the ferrari pumas and another set of drift cats. I prefer piloti, and you should get the avus.

·
Registered
4,240 Posts
Piloti or Puma

can't go wrong with either.

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
I have a pair of Puma Speedcats that work great for my Esprit. They take a few uses to break in and for you to get used to them but they are pretty comfy overall and only mildly dorky. :D

Reasonably priced too. Got mine at Endless.com

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have a pair of pikolinos and pumas. I have to say the pumas are a better driving shoe, but the pikolinos are a better overall shoe. Hence I wear the pikolinos much more. I use them for walking and driving. My Elise is my daily ride, so I am in it a lot. Pikolinos do the trick for me.

·
3Xtothe0[]
489 Posts
Leather Ferrari Pumas, just ordered Puma drift cat III, we'll see how they work?

·
Super Moderator
6,817 Posts
I don't generally like them, but if you are working on your heel and toe shifting, Piloti's would be your best bet. They are quite a bit wider than most driving shoes, which makes covering the pedals easier. Shoes built on a typical driving shoe last, such as the Puma Speedcats, are very narrow which generally requires more precise technique.

·
www.theapexinn.com
11,686 Posts
I've tried all the expensive driving shoes........and I just drive with an old Reebok sneaker on my right foot.....works perfect.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Pilotis worked best for me as the sharp edges on the Elise pedals shredded my former favorite shoe, which was a pair of well-worn Converse hi-tops. This wasn't really a problem until once when the torn inside (left) edge of my right Converse got caught on the underside of the brake pedal.

Then it became a BIG problem for about 250 milliseconds, which was enough for me to drop my outside tire in the dirt as I extracted my right foot from being semi-attached to the brake pedal. Of course, the only way to do this was to floor the accelerator and pull my foot to the right... at least I didn't "lift".

Since then I only drive with the Pilotis, which have a big rubber flange extending up from the sole around the "knuckle" of your big toe... this flange prevents the sharp edges of the pedal from tearing the upper part of the shoe or catching on the seam, which is now located more on top of the shoe than on the side.

Also, normal Vans or other skate shoes in my size don't even fit between the center divider and the brake pedal too well, so they were always rubbing on either the brake pedal or the center part as I pressed the gas.

Pilotis FTW!

·
Registered
31 Posts
I use wrestling shoes, they are narrow and have thin soles so you can feel the petals. You can get them on sale at Dick's Sporting Goods during the off season.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Piloti for driving shoes.

If you want a cool pair of shoes which work well in the footwell of a Lotus take a look at Zoot Triathlon Shoes. They are very light, very cool and nice looking besides.

I get mine at RoadRunnerSports.com

·
Registered
2,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks for the feedback guys and gals...I have wrestling shoes also, and thought they would be great, but the high tops mess with my ankles, and so my feet hurt over time.

I tried the set of Oakley Race Low 2 shoes, and without socks I completely UNDERSTAND why people drive with driving shoes now. I felt pedals better than I had ever felt them before...even with my thinnest soled shoes/wrestling shoes. And still really comfy. My only downfall with them is that the 10.5 is perfect without socks, and so i would have to go to an 11...and I am afraid those are going to be a touch to big. And they are REALLY snug around the tops of my feet. I wuold encourage them for anyone who has a slightly "shorter" foot, as I think they would make great shoes.

So here are the ones I am considering based on cost/what appears to be comfort, looks, and actually good driving shoes...noticed two of them were mentioned here...didn't know if anyone had any experiend with the others.

Top Three:

ADIDAS GOODYEAR RACE CMF 017673 US MENS SIZE 11 RARE - eBay (item 130435157892 end time Sep-30-10 17:30:12 PDT)

Piloti Prototipo - PR16-1 - Athletic Shoes | SHOEBACCA.com

Piloti Avus Men's Driving Shoe*Black/University Blue/Orange*| FinishLine.com

The others I am considering as well:

adidas Originals adiRacer Lo Black/Black/Metallic Silver - Zappos.com Free Shipping BOTH Ways

NIB ADIDAS T6 NIGHT MOTORSPORTS DRIVING SHOES M 11 NEW - eBay (item 160476656720 end time Oct-03-10 11:00:12 PDT)

ADIDAS Goodyear Adi Racer MENS SPORT Casual SHOES Sz 11 - eBay (item 150398115358 end time Oct-11-10 15:05:12 PDT)

adidas - Goodyear Driver Shoes - Motorsports Shoes

adidas Adi Racer Trefoil - 043442 - Athletic Shoes | SHOEBACCA.com

Your thoughts?

Thanks again.

·
Registered
2,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I have a few pairs

Puma Speedcats (brown suede) for when I wanna wear jeans and a nice shirt to go out
Piloti Prototipo (black/yellow) matches the car, I use it for autox
Piloti G16 (black) for everyday use
Johnston and Murphy for business casual
I saw the Piloti G16s, and the looked like they had a thicker sole on them...is that true, or is it just how the sole wraps around the ball of the big toe?

·
I Have Commitment Issues
2,911 Posts
I saw the Piloti G16s, and the looked like they had a thicker sole on them...is that true, or is it just how the sole wraps around the ball of the big toe?
They are a lot thicker compared to my pumas. Honnestly between the puma, prototipo, and the g16 I feel that the prototipo is the most comfortable. all 3 get to be uncomfortable after wearing them for more than 4 hours.

i like the first ones you posted

·
Registered
6,999 Posts
Depends on your heel toe style. Wider 's better if you roll your foot. I swing my heel to the accelerator, and really like a more narrow show like the PUMA.

1 - 20 of 68 Posts