The Lotus Cars Community banner

61 - 68 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
480 Posts
I have the Piloti Prototipo, Puma Replicat III and Puma Racer Leather GT (Ferrari) shoe. The first time I drove an Elise I was wearing the Prototipo's, and felt that they were too wide for the very narrow distance between the pedals (I'm a size 12) for the perfect spacing for Heel and Toe technique. I haven't tried driving a Lotus with either of the Puma's, but I think the Replicat would probably be too narrow, but the Racer Leather GT would probably be perfect. For day to day driving without the fancy footwork, all three are great though. For my JCW Mini DD, the Piloti's work best for H&T technique, as well as best pedal feel.
BUMP!

These are the shoes I like to wear while driving the Lotus. The Replicat's I mentioned above are also good, but slightly too narrow for good H&T (rolling the foot to the gas) techniques. The Racer GT's are my choice, though Puma doesn't carry them anymore, but they replaced it with the "Racer Carbon" Sneaker.

This is the Racer Carbon Sneaker they currently sell that is the equivalent to my favorite Racer GT's:

I did more recently buy the new Puma Drift Cat IV and Speed Cats, but they are still in the box to replace the Racer GT's and Replicat III when they are done. I think the Drift Cat IV will be the better shoe to drive the Lotus, but will have to wait and see...

Speed Cat:

Drift Cat IV - Mine isn't the Ferrari version this time:

·
Registered
639 Posts
I run with the Puma Replicats IIIs. In fact, there is a set on craigslist right now in Bellevue for 50 bucks. I believe they are a size 9.5-10. I've had mine for a year now and love them for long distance drives. For around town affairs, I just use my Sketchers.

COrvus

·
Premium Member
11,579 Posts
Any pair of sneakers with should be fine.. I say wear anything that's comfortable. I wear my doc martens and find them more comfortable to drive with than my Converse sneakers. seriously.. the pedals put more pressure on the ball of my foot with the Converse All Stars, though admittedly, they look great. Love the orange ones above!
My favorite driving/walking shoe is, get ready, an Ugg shoe model, Byron. Semi-loafer with one lace. (slips on/off at airports)

Lamb's wool on all (in)sides keep my feet warm in winter, cool in summer (no socks).

Curved heel helps make it a great driving shoe.

Sole is hard enough for pedal work and yet flexible enough for excellent pedal feel.

At the Indy log, where we were stuck at the track parking lot, ppl were complaining about their feet getting too warm from the 100F heat on the asphalt.

I hadn't notice a thing.

At Bertil Roos driving school, I also wore loafer-ish shoes in the formula cars. they were fine, but not as good as Uggs.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Ended up selling the shoes I recently bought (I never wore them yet) because they felt a pinch tight. Went up a half size and Picked up the Racer Carbon sneaker (It matches my Lotus, too! :) )

and these, the Drift Cat IV Suede...Holy crap, these shoes are among the most comfortable I've ever bought!

FYI - with these shoes, you need to get a full size up from whatever size shoes you wear. I am an 11 in a dress shoe, and a 12 in a sneaker.

·
Back to the Future, again
6,163 Posts
I have a pair of the Ferrari Pumas as well because they come in red which matches my car. Have to figure out a way to pry the horse emblem off though.

But for 99.9997544578156% of the time, I just wear my high top Vans sneakers which have good grip and are narrow enough to not get in the way of the pedals.

·
Premium Member
2,978 Posts
I found the most wonderful shoes for my plantar fasciitis. They are called Gravity-Defyers. The heels are supported by coil springs.

The ones that fit in my Lotus as well as my Piloti Mulholland II shoes are:

Vital (Black) Men's Shoe by GravityDefyer.com

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
I like Puma Speedcats. I have a pair in Italian black suede that have custom insoles in them and are very comfortable when driving and then walking around car related events. When I had the Elise, I found Speed cats were my only sneaker narrow enough to drive the Elise safely. I ended up buying three pair, black, brown and ghost (for very special occasions).

Now with the new Boxster, I can wear some wider shoes, but I still like the Speedcats the best!

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
I bought a set at Walmart of all places.

Were on sale this summer for $13 a pair. Only had size 13 in stock but the ran VERY small. I were a 10.5-11.5 depending on brand and the 13 was perfect.

Here is it, a bit more in cost:
Fubu Men's Hydrogen Low-Top Sneakers: Shoes : Walmart.com

Don't know how they compare to expensive race shoes but I can certainly feel the pedals with them on. Rough on my feet to walk on gravel, the sole is thin.

Also my normal steel toe boots work just fine now that I'm use to the pedals being close together.

61 - 68 of 68 Posts