The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks,

ialready installed a Larini Clubsport exhaust on my 2008 Elise SC and want to add Larini 4-1 headers and a 200 cell sports cat now.

Will this setup with a sports cat throw codes on my Elise, or would that only happen with a decat pipe?

And IF this will turn on the CEL light, then what is the best (proven to work) solution?

Thanks in advance for your help guys!

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
And one more question: Will the headers along with a sports cat make the sound much louder?

The Larini Clubsport exhaust is already incredibly loud (which i enjoy), but i don't think it can get much louder without inviting every cop within a mile to chase me.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Why add a sports cat - why not go decat - its lighter and less restrictive....either way you will likey get a CEL code and neither is road legal anyway, so why not go lighter and less restrictive. I'm considering doing the same set up you are referencing but going decat Larini vs. sport cat.

Anyway, I have searched on this and there are a couple spacers for sale that people have said work well. Basically you screw them into the second O2 sensor socket in the decat or sport cat pipe and then screw the O2 sensor into the spacer. This allows it to be slightly removed from the normal air flow of the exhaust and then allows it to read a different level than the first O2 sensor. This then "tricks" the ECU to thinking everything is working fine.

I personally have not tried this, but this link is from another post here on LT:
Angled O2 Simulator, Angled O2 Simulator clears p0420 / p0430 check engine light

They have 3-4 different versions - goodluck, keep us posted.

If anyone out there has success with this model or a different model, please reply

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Ramy,

I once put a straight through decat pipe on my sports bike and the noise was INSANE so had to reinstall the cat! That was on a 1 liter engine and I can only imagine what the same thing does to a 1.8L engine that sits right behind your neck.

As mentioned the sound of the Larini Club Sport is already borderline and I definitely wouldn't want it to get much louder - only less restrictive.

Of course a full decat + Larini Sport exhaust might also work well, but since I already got the Club Sport exhaust i plan to save some DB with the sport cat (compared to a full decat pipe).

·
Registered
577 Posts
Does desoldering the CEL light count? Cause I've not seen a CEL since I did that.

:D:D:D

*note: the above poster has a standalone EMS with many monitoring and alerting sensors and gauges. His opinion is not relevant to this conversation.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
But what if i remap my ECU with a new tune?

Can the ECU learn to deal with the increased exhaust gas flow through a new tune (thus avoiding a CEL without an 02 adapter)?

And if i use such a new tune, would a have to remove the 02 sensor extension again or is it always required to avoid CEL codes??

Would appreciate if someone could answer this before i actually install the pipes. Thanks

·
Registered
73 Posts
I just installed a Blackwatch decat pipe with stock headers and muffler, because I wanted more sound, not a different sound and I got it ! I used the anti plug foulers to offset the O2 sensor out of the flow. No CEL lite so far. The anti foulers can be found at Autozone or that type of dealer for about $5. Space can be a problem with these or other types because you are projecting the sensor out futher, that exhaust will move!

·
Registered
47 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,638 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for the advice guys!!:up: :up: :up:

I will try using the 02 sensor extender first and if that doesn't work I will order such an electronic sensor simulator.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I just installed a Blackwatch decat pipe with stock headers and muffler, because I wanted more sound, not a different sound and I got it ! I used the anti plug foulers to offset the O2 sensor out of the flow. No CEL lite so far. The anti foulers can be found at Autozone or that type of dealer for about $5. Space can be a problem with these or other types because you are projecting the sensor out futher, that exhaust will move!
Well I spoke to soon! The anti plug foulers allowed the CEL light to start coming on quicker and quicker. So I have purchased the mini cat CEL eliminator from Big Daddies. I will get that installed next week and report back with the result.

·
Registered
640 Posts
If you have a supercharger installed, and have access to the tune, most should come with the ability to *ahem* turn off certain functions that cause the CEL light. Decat on mine and no light. Then again maybe my programmer was just really good at his job..

Corvus

1 - 17 of 17 Posts