The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What are the Best roads to drive a Lotus in the North Dallas area? I grew up in NY and on nice weather days I would leave Queens early on a weekend morning just to take the day trip drive to parts of the lower Hudson Valley. I realize the Hudson Valley landscape does lend to some nice drivers roads that the flat landscape of this part of the country just does not have. But somewhere around here there must exist a road for the fun of driving an Elise. Some of the native Texans or even the refugees from other parts of the country that have been here a while, might you know a good day trip road or two ???

·
Tire abuser
773 Posts
Hey Dephcon,

Not sure what part of the metroplex you are in... but here are some general guidelines:

1. Head north and west. Wise county up around lake Bridgeport is pretty nice.
2. South and west.... The Glenrose area is good to explore.

Check motorcycle websites like sundaymorningrides.com for specific routes. The biker guys are serious about their riding destinations.

When you have a little more time, check out how close we really are to the awesome roads of eastern OK and Arkansas. The Talimena trail is a possible day trip from DFW. I have done it on a bike. Spectacular.

·
Registered
123 Posts
There are some spectacular Hill Country drives, but they usually require an overnight stay, unless you just love to log seat time...

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm in McKinney, but any run in a 4 to 5 hr round trip is what Im after. Hill country is on the list of overnight trips as soon as my wife finishes this, her last semester.

·
Tire abuser
773 Posts
There are some spectacular Hill Country drives, but they usually require an overnight stay, unless you just love to log seat time...
Ah yes, I could go on and on about those Hill Country roads. We used to live in Wimberley, just south and west of Austin. Beautiful country. A Texan does need to drive down hwy 6 to Fredricksburg in the spring, then over to Luchenbach, Blanco, etc.... Two years ago we did a motorcycle ride that way and the wild flowers were like a thick carpet. It smelled like a perfume factory as you rode along the twisty two-lanes. You could say I recommend it.

·
Registered
424 Posts
I'm next to you in Prosper, and have the identical problem.

The Hill Country is a "don't miss," as is eastern Oklahoma, western Arkansas (try Hot Springs, for example....if you're married, you'll both enjoy the hotels there). Glen Rose is OK too, but not as good as the former areas mentioned.

Hope this helps!

Stephen.

·
Registered
143 Posts
What are the Best roads to drive a Lotus in the North Dallas area? I grew up in NY and on nice weather days I would leave Queens early on a weekend morning just to take the day trip drive to parts of the lower Hudson Valley. I realize the Hudson Valley landscape does lend to some nice drivers roads that the flat landscape of this part of the country just does not have. But somewhere around here there must exist a road for the fun of driving an Elise. Some of the native Texans or even the refugees from other parts of the country that have been here a while, might you know a good day trip road or two ???
In my Tiburon the most exciting place I could twist and turn and accelerate on my commute home from McKinney was the frontage roads on US75 through Melissa into Anna. Sometimes take the left one, sometimes take the right one; coming and going you can have 4 different "experiences." Here's a Southbound shot on frontage US75 between exits 48 & 47:

·
Registered
110 Posts
There are a lot of fun roads within an hour as well, and McKinney is actually the best place to live with the closest good roads outside of W/SW Fort Worth. Here's just a few to get you out and exploring.

- FM 455 from Celina to Anna
- FM 2862 from Anna to Westminster
- New Hope Road north from 380
- FM 697 from Whitewright to Sherman
- Tons more if you explore out toward Blue Ridge and even on to the Bonham and Paris areas. It's pretty easy to piece together a nice, fun loop.

A bit of warning though, the crazy fluctuating temperatures and rain/drought seasons cause these back roads to vary wildly in surface quality. One week a road might be safe to take some curves at high speed, the next week there are potholes and edges crumbling, and a month after that it's resurfaced again. You just never know, so please be careful out there.

If you're into spirited group drives, the best sites to watch are DFW Area Events | Motorsports - Sponsored by Dallas Karting Complex - DFW Auto Club Forums and Texas - North Texas S2000 Owners - S2KI Honda S2000 Forums

1 - 8 of 8 Posts