The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found this picture of the Stelvio Pass in Italy. What's the best drive in this country for the Elise - or at least a great drive inyour area. I'd like to start a list and hit them all. Thanks for your submission.

This should be a sticky if we get a lot of response.

Attachments

·
Registered
6,802 Posts
Any of a hundred roads in N. GA around Hiawassee, Suches, Dahlonega in the Smoky mtns. A bit further up for those wanted super tight twisty roads on hwy 129 TN/NC border is Deals Gap, 300 odd turns in 20 miles. I've done a few times on a motorcycle and its quite a ride.
Chris

·
Registered
6,301 Posts
besides the drive from the dealer to my house when I get my car???

·
Registered
8,270 Posts
Road over Dillon Pass in Colorado
Devils Gulch N of the city of Estes park
Trails Ridge Rd in Estes Park
Raod from Cimmaron NM to Taos NM going around Eagles Nest Lake and Philmont Scout Camp
Road Up Mount Evans

some of these tend to be busier and not as much 'fun' driving but fun and nice for a casual drive nontheless.

Down Under:
The Great Ocean Road from Torquay to Port Campbell westward from Melbourne

·
Registered
6,802 Posts
Tidal,
FYI, The Dragon is Deals Gap. Cherohala skyway is also a great run right next to the gap. ONly time to do the GAp is during the week, way too many putzes (two and four wheel) on weekends.

Chris

·
Registered
2,744 Posts
HW1 north of San Francisco...not many people on that stretch, and lots of twisties.

Otherwise...head east from any major city in SoCal, and there will be a road. Traffic can vary. Although I just found this very very cool and deserted road through the Elfin Forest, which is between Escondido and the coast. Superb!!!

·
Registered
4,985 Posts
One of my favorites is the Rattlesnake Grade in SE Washington. The pavement in places is not the greatest, but I rarely see any other cars and have never seen any police.

I include the route back up out of the canyon on the Oregon side, but it probably doesn't technically share the name with the stretch in Washington.

·
Registered
4,985 Posts
I oughta put in a plug for the Destination Highways guys. Their books are aimed at motorcyclists but if you're looking for a good day in the twisties, the goals are the same. I've got their Washington book which I highly recommend (if you're local, that is) and can attest to the high quality of their British Columbia book as well. Their next project is a Northern California book which I imagine will inspire a road trip once it's out.

·
Registered
4,253 Posts
Ortega hwy.(So-Cal) is nice but I have a bad feeling everytime I drive there since one of my best friends died there :( (motorcycle). Still a great road. Also driving through Joshua Tree national park doing about 120mph:D

Neil

·
Registered
670 Posts
I'm not so sure I would include some of these on my list of great Elise drives. I assume you mean drives to push an Elise. I don't want a mistake on the cars part or my part or some other drivers part to result in a 2000' drop off a cliff. I'll stick to enjoying the scenery and paying attention to the road in such places. I'll do my Elise pushing in canyons where a mistake means a slide on the shoulder or ending up in some brush.

There are several such canyons on every side of Los Angeles. One of my favorite is Franciscito, about 4 minutes from my house.

Steve

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Jennifer,

Count me in on the run to the dragon - love that area but keep me outta Gatlinburg! But I'm #33 and unlike you have not ordered my sweetie yet.

·
Registered
8,270 Posts
Nice duck.
Another good road would be the bridges over to Key West, just to get the car to the 90 mile from Cuba marker. Nothing 'spirited' but it's a blast in a drop top with the gulf on one side and the ocean on the other.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts