The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a track day coming up in a two weeks and I want to get a set of real sticky tires mounted on my spare set of wheels. What are you guys running on the track?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I currently have the Yokohama ADVAN A048 and was thinking about the Proxes R888.

I'm not familiar with which Hoosier tire and size and I could run. I would love to get something like the R6 or A6 if they make them.

Anyone running the A6/R6 sizes of 205/45-16 and 225/45-17?

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
I personally think the A048s stink. They heat cycle out way before the tread wears.

I'm in the same situation and I'm trying to decide btwn the A06 or R06 Hoosier. I think I will go with the R06 in the size you mentioned. I'm not sure if spacers will be needed but I know others are running that size.

I currently have the Yokohama ADVAN A048 and was thinking about the Proxes R888.

I'm not familiar with which Hoosier tire and size and I could run. I would love to get something like the R6 or A6 if they make them.

Anyone running the A6/R6 sizes of 205/45-16 and 225/45-17?

·
Registered
455 Posts
Hankook also a decent option for slicks. Fastest time at LCS Spring Mountain was on Hankook, very soft compount; however, driver (Brent) thought the Yoko slick is better.
I ran Hankook on my S1 and found they went off pretty quickly, i.e., by 2nd heat cycle,
rather bad by end of track day, barely usable into 2nd day.

The yoko slick from Lotus is specific to Lotus car. Not the same construction and compound as other A005 Yoko. Downside is slick thru Lotus is more expensive, but nice tire. Lap times are consistent to within minutes of cording the tire - great enduro tire.
However, not the fastest tire for short time trials - need to get tire up to temp on 1st lap.

·
Registered
2,894 Posts
I would also suggest running slicks if you have second set of wheels...the Yokos that Tom mentioned seem to be the front runners. If you want to cheat a little on streetable tires, I have been really liking the BFG R1's...it's an R compound with grip between a regular R and a Hoosier, but very consistent

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My wheels are 16x7 & 17x8 does anyone know if I could run slicks of the size 245/40R17 in the back without any rubbing or other problems?

·
Registered
116 Posts
Is there a consensus on the best slicks that fit the LSS wheels? Hankook?

And tips to the exact size would be much appreciated!

·
Registered
3,366 Posts
If you want the best mix of grip and longevity on a non-slick, R compound tire, look for a set of Toyo RA1s. I've heard that Toyo is going to continue making them because the R888 while a 'better' tire doesn't last anywhere near as long. (I just got a set myself.)

If you are in Texas I should be able to get you a set at a good discount. Send a PM if interested.

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
Anyone know the largest Hoosier you can fit on a 15/16 combo without much rubbing.. Slight rubbing is OK...

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Advan A005 = rails

Might want to beef up toe links, and stiffen the suspension and sway bar if you run something really "sticky"

·
Registered
6,037 Posts
I don't understand people who get a second set of wheels for track tires and then run treaded tires?

Hoosier R6's

·
Premium Member
4,551 Posts
If you want the best mix of grip and longevity on a non-slick, R compound tire, look for a set of Toyo RA1s. I've heard that Toyo is going to continue making them because the R888 while a 'better' tire doesn't last anywhere near as long. (I just got a set myself.)

If you are in Texas I should be able to get you a set at a good discount. Send a PM if interested.
Rich I'd be interested in trying RA1's....available in 15/16? or is it 16/17?

·
Registered
787 Posts
Hoosier A6 / R6

I run Hoosier R6 slicks exclusively. They stick like glue! Realize they are track tires and not DOT approved for the street.

I have a new set of Hoosier A6 front and rears for sale. I am not going to run autocross with the car so I'm selling them. $700 for the set plus shipping.

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
I don't understand people who get a second set of wheels for track tires and then run treaded tires?

Hoosier R6's
I have a second set of wheels and with treaded track tires because I don't trailer to the track. I drive the Elise there on the street 300 miles round trip and don't want to make that drive on Slicks.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts