1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Criteria:

1)Must be available in the US
2)Most recent version of the listed car
3)Pertaining to handling overall(track/street/twisties/etc..)
4)If you choose "Other" please state the car model (I'm sure I've missed some)

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
You didn't list the best handling car, it's the Caterham 7, and all the comparison atricles agree, it's just not much of a touring car!

·
insert clever title here
7,702 Posts
I like the spirit of this poll, but I think few of us are in any position to make a qualified, educated vote on which is really the best handling car!

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
I have a deposit down and build orders in on my Enzo, MERCY-a-LAGO and several others. I'll give you my vote once I get them from the port where they are putting on the clear bras as we speak. I'm holding my breath right now as I write this. Should have all these cars before my Elise.:D

·
Registered
12,193 Posts
Ok, I headed out to my air conditioned garage, because I had to refresh my memory. Took the McLaren, Noble, and 360CS out for a few laps each on my private testing track. Elise it is!

·
Registered
2,262 Posts
Corvette - Viper?

HAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHAH

rotfl

HAHAHHAHAHHAHAHAHHA

Sorry. They are great cars in their own genre but they don't really belong on this list. The newer versions of both are getting to be MUCH better but, well, yeah - HAHAHAHHAHAHA

I'm for the Enzo. But that's just becuase I think that the Enzo, Mac F1 & possibly the Noble are in a different class. Handling wise the Elise is damn close but a big engine allows you some extra ability to oversteer and slide with more control and at different revs.

Not that it matters - I'ld wreck pretty much any car on this list if I had one - at least until I get more driver training.

·
Registered
5,158 Posts
For that matter Steve, most people haven't driven an Elise! LOL.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I forgot the Caterham 7 and the 340R were available in the US... I've been blown away by how different forums view "Automobile Handling"... It was on this forum that several members considered the Viper as one of the best handling cars in the world
http://www.elisetalk.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=4727&perpage=20&pagenumber=2.

So I had to do a poll just for fun and info too... Even though we haven't driven some of these cars, we have read much and have seen much in mags and videos.. We're not experts but damn good consultants.

·
Registered
4,253 Posts
Esprit said:
I forgot the Caterham 7 and the 340R were available in the US... I've been blown away by how different forums view "Automobile Handling"... It was on this forum that several members considered the Viper as one of the best handling cars in the world
http://www.elisetalk.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=4727&perpage=20&pagenumber=2.

So I had to do a poll just for fun and info too... Even though we haven't driven some of these cars, we have read much and have seen much in mags and videos.. We're not experts but damn good consultants.
Maybe the Viper in one of the best if not the best handling car in the US, but in the world, that's pushing it...

Neil

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Little Bastard said:
Maybe the Viper in one of the best if not the best handling car in the US, but in the world, that's pushing it...

Neil
Unless there are many modifications, the Viper will never be a great handling car. It's a car that relies specifically on its tires for grip unlike the Elise, Noble, etc... that rely on chassis, weight, suspension, etc.. to do more of the work.

A BMW 325i handles better than a new Viper. I know this because my co-worker who owns both a 2003 (beautiful) Viper and a BMW will tell you.

·
Registered
4,253 Posts
Esprit said:
Unless there are many modifications, the Viper will never be a great handling car. It's a car that relies specifically on its tires for grip unlike the Elise, Noble, etc... that rely on chassis, weight, suspension, etc.. to do more of the work.

A BMW 325i handles better than a new Viper. I know this because my co-worker who owns both a 2003 (beautiful) Viper and a BMW will tell you.
I'd have to drive one (new Viper) to totally agree with you... I just know it pulls over a 1g on the skid pad, if that count for anything. I know the old one was a bit tricky to drive. Seems like you are more qualified than me on this subject... but for an American sports car, it doesn't do too bad, I agree, you couldn't put it in the same league as the Noble or the Elise, but I've seen Vipers do some amazing things in the hands of a skilled pilot.

Neil

1 - 14 of 14 Posts