The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,537 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know there have been threads on which location is best for phone holders in our Eliges, but I don’t think this one location has been covered yet. I’ve been meaning to do this mod but haven’t had time until our recent situation with social distancing. This was also a great time to install my carbon fiber dash that I bought from Greg months ago. Anyways here are some pics of my project.
First I took the entire interior panels off.

Then I fabricated this custom panel out of some carbon fiber I had laying around.

Then I fabricated this panel with a piece of steel epoxied to it.

Finally I used double sided tape to stick this magnet onto my custom panel. And you guessed it: the magnet is dual function. It holds my air bag cover and my phone. If I need my phone to charge or use for navigation then I just remove the cover and stick my phone onto the magnet.

And this is how my interior currently looks.

·
Premium Member
11,897 Posts
So, you ditched passenger airbag for a phone mount?? Not my priority.

·
Premium Member
1,537 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That was not my main intention. I’ve been meaning to ditch the airbag for years. I just never had the time. The phone holder is just a bonus because I was trying to figure out a way to mount the aftermarket air bag cover. I thought about a hinge but I liked the magnet idea the best.

·
Acme Super Moderator ** The Enforcer **
7,594 Posts
That was not my main intention. I’ve been meaning to ditch the airbag for years. I just never had the time. The phone holder is just a bonus because I was trying to figure out a way to mount the aftermarket air bag cover. I thought about a hinge but I liked the magnet idea the best.
Your car, your choice. I'd ignore the comment above as he's been a bit testy lately. You've got quite a bit of carbon fiber going on there. "Mikey likes it!"

San

·
Premium Member
1,537 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Your car, your choice. I'd ignore the comment above as he's been a bit testy lately. You've got quite a bit of carbon fiber going on there. "Mikey likes it!"

San
Thanks San. My exterior is all carboned out also except for the clams.

·
Premium Member
11,897 Posts
San, surely you realize I help a lot of ppl here, and maybe should've earned a little leeway. But, my thinking is:

1. If someone is in my car, they need all the protection I can give them.

2. At many HPDEs, the rules say that the driver cannot use safety equipment or other stuff, not available to the instructor.

I try to be as logical and, yes, moral as I can to a situation. I am not going to risk my passengers' safety so I can charge a frigging phone.

Get me? It?

·
Premium Member
11,897 Posts
btw, I wired in an additional power socket under dash and tray, using the fuse box in interior.

Moreover, wouldn't the phone be best placed where we could both charge and read it??

·
Acme Super Moderator ** The Enforcer **
7,594 Posts
Added the finishing touch today with the new floor mats that I bought from @VisualEchos years ago.
View attachment 1260439
View attachment 1260440
View attachment 1260441
That's funny, as my floor mats were sitting on my dining room table forever as I "pressed" the lettering insets flat with custom rectangular pieces weighed down with books and a big Boos cutting board. I have yet to put them in my car as they'll probably be just for show (the old mats are lighter). True to my signature I have plastic carpet buttons as they're lighter too. Yours definitely look better.

San

·
Registered
2009 Exige 260 Sport
596 Posts
Minimalist solution for the jockstrap cup holder.

I happened upon this solution by pure chance, I had put a Pop-type cell phone holder at about the lower 3/4 position on my iPhone XMax, I found with the cup holder fully extended I could wedge the top of the phone to the indent below the top of the parcel tray and then engage the popped out cell phone holder to the extreme end of the cup holder loop. It works well and doesn't disengage even under extreme lateral loads and suspension travel. You may need to adjust the location of the pop-type phone holder depending on the length of your cell phone.

A no tools needed phone holder solution unique for the Lotus with a jockstrap cup holder.

·
Registered
7,188 Posts
San, surely you realize I help a lot of ppl here, and maybe should've earned a little leeway. But, my thinking is:

1. If someone is in my car, they need all the protection I can give them.

2. At many HPDEs, the rules say that the driver cannot use safety equipment or other stuff, not available to the instructor.
It is same protection. Neither side has an airbag.

So long as the car is only driven with a six point harness and a helmet with neck protector for anyone on board, that’s acceptable.

Nice build. These cars are so much fun to mod.

·
Premium Member
11,897 Posts
2 wrongs don't make a right.

1. I see no evidence of harnesses.

2. I doubt helmets or neck protectors are used.

3. Remember, I have to ensure my passenger is as safe as possible. (Short of staying out of my car.....)

·
Administrator
2010 Exige S260
2,214 Posts
Very cool idea, one of the most out of the box ideas I have seen for our cars

·
Premium Member
1,537 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Very cool idea, one of the most out of the box ideas I have seen for our cars
Thanks! As mentioned before the phone Mount was not my main objective. I’ve been meaning to get rid of the passenger airbag. I just figured since it’s gone now it’ll be a great place to mount a phone.

·
Premium Member
11,897 Posts
rb26dett, do you have and do all of thee???? thx.

It is same protection. Neither side has an airbag.

So long as the car is only driven with a six point harness and a helmet with neck protector for anyone on board, that’s acceptable.

Nice build. These cars are so much fun to mod.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts