The Lotus Cars Community banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,706 Posts
This got me to wondering why anyone would pull out airbags.

The best I came up with; You heard they were made of peanuts and you're allergic.

OK, really. Why do you not like airbags???

·
Premium Member
11,706 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,359 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
This got me to wondering why anyone would pull out airbags.

The best I came up with; You heard they were made of peanuts and you're allergic.

OK, really. Why do you not like airbags???
I’ve been modding cars since I was a teenager. To me cars are very personal and subjective. As for the airbag delete, I did it for several reasons. One, I don’t like the looks of the OEM steering wheel. I wanted one that was removable because keeping with the lotus philosophy; you can see I deleted a whole bunch of crap and most of my car is carbon fiber minus the clams. No radio, no car alarm, etc. Hence I wanted a removable steering wheel when I drive to work for anti-theft reasons. And finally I wanted my car lighter. There are so many other guys that do crazy mods such as -1000 camber and they’re only driving on the inner lip if there tires. To me those are stupid mods and unsafe. I don’t know why you’re so fixated on my airbag delete. To summarize: I did it for aesthetics, anti-theft, and lightness. And also I feel like our cars have that vintage vibe due to the simplicity and everything is mechanical unlike today’s modern cars. You can also say the last reason is an homage to the cars of yesteryears when there were no such things as airbags.

·
Premium Member
204 Posts
This got me to wondering why anyone would pull out
I could never figure this out either. I may have pulled our statement our of context though.

I’ve been modding cars since I was a teenager. To me cars are very personal and subjective. As for the airbag delete, I did it for several reasons. One, I don’t like the looks of the OEM steering wheel. I wanted one that was removable because keeping with the lotus philosophy; you can see I deleted a whole bunch of crap and most of my car is carbon fiber minus the clams. No radio, no car alarm, etc. Hence I wanted a removable steering wheel when I drive to work for anti-theft reasons. And finally I wanted my car lighter. There are so many other guys that do crazy mods such as -1000 camber and they’re only driving on the inner lip if there tires. To me those are stupid mods and unsafe. I don’t know why you’re so fixated on my airbag delete. To summarize: I did it for aesthetics, anti-theft, and lightness. And also I feel like our cars have that vintage vibe due to the simplicity and everything is mechanical unlike today’s modern cars. You can also say the last reason is an homage to the cars of yesteryears when there were no such things as airbags.
You don't need to justify yourself, but I agree with all of this.

·
Premium Member
11,706 Posts
I appreciate your answer. Thanks.

I am not fixated (but interested) and don't want you to feel oppressed.

But, I'm sorry, much of this makes no sense to me.

1. Airbags weigh about 6 lbs each, so the weight "savings" are negligible at best.

2. If a car is not being tracked, it will be hard to notice carbon fiber, alarm....stuff.

3. Geez, you could hide a switch to keep it from being stolen....or left the alarm in it.

4. You may not realize that airbags and seatbelts complement but not replace each other. So, you are less safe, my friend.

(I saw a BMW owners' page in which everyone said to not make the car less safe to save so little weight. Surprising, as BMW owners aren't always fully rational. (See #6))

5. I like the way the steering wheel feels, works and looks. Love being able to steer and beep simultaneously. I can drive thru traffic with my finger on the horn button. Would I replace the wheel for one w/o air bag? Hell, no.

6. "Everything is mechanical unlike today’s modern cars". Not really close. More of a stab at rationalization. Fuel injection, ignition, ABS and many other things are electrical and not mechanical. My BMW had mechanical fuel injection, my Elise does not.

7. "Homage"?? Really? Get some decals instead.

8. Old cars had crappy brakes and no ABS. Why not make your brakes crappy and remove the ABS.

I'm afraid you've not provided a cogent theory as to why anyone should remove airbags, or.....mount a phone where it can't be seen. I am sorry.

Last, do you ever carry passengers? If so, are they made aware that they are less safe compared to what the factory designed?

Perhaps, get them to sign a (useless) release.

·
Premium Member
11,706 Posts
You don't need to justify yourself, but I agree with all of this.
Oh, we all know it's his car to do with as he wishes. But, I enjoy trying to fathom moves such as these.

g

·
Premium Member
1,359 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
@glb I’m not here to provide a cogent theory for anyone to remove their airbags. Many guys on here have done the same mods I have. Why don’t you go ask them for their cogent theories? I’ve already told you my reasons and if you’re not satisfied with them well then tough luck, buddy. I really don’t give a sh*t. At the end of the day, I have no regrets and I’m 100% happy with all my mods. So let’s move on. PLEASE.

·
Premium Member
11,706 Posts
I forgot to write my normal "if you're happy, then I'm happy". Sorry.

Did you know before today that we are safer with seatbelts AND airbags vs only seatbelts?

I didn't ask you to provide anything other than your reasons.

No need to get testy or defensive; did not mean to offend you.

I am satisfied by logic, btw.

·
Acme Super Moderator ** The Enforcer **
7,396 Posts
I forgot to write my normal "if you're happy, then I'm happy". Sorry.

Did you know before today that we are safer with seatbelts AND airbags vs only seatbelts?

I didn't ask you to provide anything other than your reasons.

No need to get testy or defensive; did not mean to offend you.

I am satisfied by logic, btw.
The OP has been more than patient and clearly would like you to step out of this thread. Please do so. Thanks.

San

·
Premium Member
11,706 Posts
I was done, but thanks, San.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts