The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Time for an oil change!

I have been using Fram for a while now and i just found out how crappy they are. (check out on youtube) but i am still searching for the best value filter.

I dont need one for racing. just DD and keep my engine clean. i used to use regular fram then fram synthetic oil filter.

i hear WIX is good but they are under amsoil with is a MLM company :S

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
I use the K&N HP-2009. There's a few threads around here discussing oil filters.

·
Registered
3,520 Posts
far more race oriented I know but I use a Canton Mecca screw on filter CM Filters, Spin-on Oil Filters one of the 6" models, expensive at first purchase but the replacement filters are pretty cheap and will filter better better than any of the other standard oil filters.

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
Sorry, but I take issue with this web site and its "study" (and other like it). Cutting apart an oil filter and counting pleats tell you absolutely nothing about the oil filters ability to actually filter the oil. You can look at the filter material and determine how well it filters, or how much (or little) is restricts the flow through the filter. Totally un-scientific - for instance, usually their biggest complaint complaint about Fram filters is that they have "cardboard" end caps. It perfectly all right that they all use paper filter material glued to the end cap (usually metal), but let Fram use a composite material (paper and resin) glued to the paper and it's pure junk (never mind the fact that it probably actually has a better bond). Again, it doesn't tell you a single thing about a filter's capabilities, which is what is important.

Note I'm not saying that Frams are good or bad, and in fact I tend to use Purolators on my cars, and Mobil 1 filter on the Elise. I'm just saying that the "cut apart and look at the guts" filter "studies" are worse than worthless...

·
Registered
330 Posts
Amsoil EA filter

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
I use the K&N filter. Mainly for it has a bolt type top on it so I can use a socket to get it off, EZ. Also it’s bigger so I can go a bit longer before changing it. I have one of those oil vacuum things so I do maybe 2 oil changes then on the third I go after the filter.

·
Registered
171 Posts

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
FYI there is no 10004 any more. It's long gone, and what's left is old stock.
And I've got seventeen of them = 51,000 miles = almost seven more years before I have to buy a new car! :p

No problem if they're old stock. They're plastic-sealed inside the box...no worry about deterioration. I've run one lo-o-ong track day with the SC and no oil consumption that was measurable/observable and virtually no blow-by in the catch cans! Oil as clean as before the track day (changed before, now about 2,000 miles down the road and no observable difference).
Another 51,000 miles will put me at 79,000 miles. :coolnana: :shift:

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
Info

far more race oriented I know but I use a Canton Mecca screw on filter CM Filters, Spin-on Oil Filters one of the 6" models, expensive at first purchase but the replacement filters are pretty cheap and will filter better better than any of the other standard oil filters.
what part number are you using on your lotus?

·
Registered
150 Posts
I use the K&N filter. Mainly for it has a bolt type top on it so I can use a socket to get it off, EZ. Also it’s bigger so I can go a bit longer before changing it. I have one of those oil vacuum things so I do maybe 2 oil changes then on the third I go after the filter.
This is exactly what I do. I've heard rumors that in Europe they usually don't change filters at every oil change because in most cases it's completely unnecessary. Plus the filter actually filters out finer material as the media gets partially plugged. I change my oil every 6mos or 3000mi and change the filter every third change... and I too use the K&N because its just huge and more media = less resistance to flow = better oil circulation = better lubrication and cooling and it increases the oil volume by about 500ml... I plan to dissect my current K&N when I replace it at the end of the summer to see if a significant amount of gunk has accumulated.
-john.

·
Registered
4,452 Posts
Aaron at Lithia toyota stocks the 1004 OEM toyota filters.. he told me today he's got over 40 of these filters on his shelf..
541-736-3221

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
I am using the K&N as well. It is not quite as well made as the Lotus filter, but they are reasonably priced and readily available. No problems so far.

·
Registered
634 Posts
Amsoil EA filter
I use the EaO filters on my Ducati, reported to be the best filtering unit you can buy.
Which one do you use?

Mark

·
Registered
580 Posts
K&N 2009. Top end of the quality curve so far as conventional filters go, and I like the nut fitting on the end and the fact that I can safety wire it without using a hose clamp.

I've also been using the stainless mesh TruFilter in a few other applications with good results.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts