The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got a RAM X-Mount for my iPhone X and the video is so shaky it's unwatchable. I was told it was the best, and is recommended by Harry's Lap Timer (which I am also trying to use). The mount was over $50 so I am not happy that for that amount of money I could hand hold it with one hand and drive and get better video.

Also - if anyone is using the KIWI 3 OBDII dongle, it doesn't want to update/refresh the data at all. It may be defective but wanted to see if anyone was using it (also recommended by Harry's Laptimer).

Thanks!
James

·
German Reimport
2,953 Posts
I have good experience with using the RAM mount with an i-phone for Harry's, mounted on the passenger side rear window towards the center of the car.
Are you running with auto focus on or off? You can find the setting in the video preview by clicking the little wrench symbol.
I had instances where I ran with auto focus on, and that created the "shaky" effect and made the video useless because the camera continuously adjusted focus.

·
Addict
1,327 Posts
I don't use a phone for video on the track, so not much help there. I use a roll bar mounted GoPro and it works ok. I think you'll need some video stabilization and I'm not sure if there is a setting on your phone to make that better or not.

I use a cheap Bluetooth OBD2 from Amazon, though I always have trouble syncing up my phone data and video so maybe my adapter is part of the issue. [ame]https://www.amazon.com/Vgate-Bluetooth-Scanner-TORQUE-ANDROID/dp/B0154KKF0U/ref=sr_1_27?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1540305414&sr=1-27&keywords=obd2+bluetooth[/ame]

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have good experience with using the RAM mount with an i-phone for Harry's, mounted on the passenger side rear window towards the center of the car.
Are you running with auto focus on or off? You can find the setting in the video preview by clicking the little wrench symbol.
I had instances where I ran with auto focus on, and that created the "shaky" effect and made the video useless because the camera continuously adjusted focus.
I'll try the wrench setting and see... The video jitters so bad though I don't think it will matter.

·
Registered
725 Posts
WHat he said, it's the best mount I've ever used by a huge margin

·
German Reimport
2,953 Posts
That is what I'm using with good results.
I'm curious to see the video footage to see if it correlates to mine with auto focus on.

·
Hickory, NC
968 Posts
Maybe because it’s suction mount instead of rigid? My tablet in my offroad buggy stays put and you can read it in the roughest of terrain. It’s a bar mount

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Here's my unusable video with the RAM X-Mount.

The mount is attached near the top of the windshield and the arm is pointing straight down. What am I doing wrong?

·
German Reimport
2,953 Posts
That looks a lot like mine looked with auto focus on.
Turn it off and try again, and I'm sure it will be a lot better.

·
German Reimport
2,953 Posts
I just checked one of my messed up videos where I ran with auto focus on and it is exactly like yours, if not worse.
So I'm pretty certain the auto focus function is the culprit.

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Headed out of town so it will be a few days before I can test and get a video up to compare. Thanks for the tips and I'll update as soon as I can.

James

1 - 15 of 15 Posts