The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

I'm about to head out to get a replacement set of rear A048s... Looks like Globe Tires in MB and Stokes Tire in Santa Monica are good choices. Any other place I should call before I call these two? Thanks in advance...

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
I’ve gotten good prices from Super Autobacs (on Beach Blvd in Stanton just off the 22) but they may be to far from you to be worth it.

·
Registered
807 Posts
i like globe tire in manhattan beach alot. they're very straightforward and get the car turned around quickly. they also used to do all the tire work for South Bay Lotus when they were around and they've certainly change tires on my exige. so no lift mishaps!!

i usually try to schedule it in around lunchtime and walk over to the Big Wok mongolian bbq place up the street. you can also schlep over to the South Bay BMW used lot to consider any future purchases ;)

·
Registered
817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys. I'm just sticking with the stock tires, although some here like the Toyo R888s. Any final thoughts before I drop a ton of money?

·
Registered
55 Posts
I know you can't 'head out' and get them, but I replaced my rears through Tire Rack about a month ago. Best price I could find (even after shipping - arrived in 3 days) and was still cheaper than anyone I called after I had them mounted and balanced.

Got them installed at Greens OK Tire Store in NoHo (they have the system that can remove and mount tires without touching the wheel).

·
Registered
817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks, TeflonC... I just called Green's in NH and they said that the rear pair out the door would be $637.49, which is over $100 less than the other two places (each rear is only $279)... They're going to let me know if they can get them by today from the Yoko warehouse... Thanks again.

·
Registered
55 Posts
More than welcome, Chad did a good job, took about 45 min and my alloys came back in exactly the same condition.

Incidentally, I got his name from Maserati Pasadensa - they use him for a lot of their tire work. I felt it was a good enough reference :D

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
Check the price of 4 new 888’s and see how it compairs to two 048’s. I say get the 888’s but you need to do what you like.

·
Registered
679 Posts
888's are they way to go. PM me for a smoking deal.

·
Registered
2,722 Posts
Globe also has a store at Venice & La Cienega. Be sure of several things, the tech working on your car knows the jack points on the car, they don't scrape your wheels, inspect carefully and let them know ahead of time the wheels are easily scraped. Make sure they don't use air jacks to tighten the lugs, the lugs need to be tightened to 77 ft lbs exactly no more, no less, or the brakes can be damaged. Don't bother to get an alignment at a tire shop if you need one, get it done at an authorized Lotus dealer or a reputable race shop.
Globe did my initial alignment and they set all of my wheels perfectly straight ! I was shocked that Lotus South Bay had been using them for that ! After I had my alignment done at Lotus BH it was like night and day in the handling and they were really surprised Globe had set up the alignment like that.
(LBH used a local race shop in Culver City for the alignment actually I found out, I think argent racing )
I bought my last set of rears at LBH and their price was as good as any of the tire shops, so you might check with Silverstar or Qais....

The stock Yokos were specially designed for the Elise, they have LTS stamped on them and have a much stiffer edge than most tires or the non LTS version-something to keep in mind

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
Cali, make sure you inspect your wheels carefully before and after tire service at Globe or anywhere else.

A couple of years ago, a Globe tire tech hammered the sh*t out of the factory painted finish on a rear wheel of my Exige. He used a high speed air gun to tighten the wheel lugs and in doing so scorched the paint finish right off all four wheel lug openings. Needless to say, Globe management and the Lotus dealership (car was being serviced under warranty) had to sort out who was paying for the new Lotus replacement wheel.

Another tire shop knicked deep grooves into several spokes of a pristine BBS wheel on my Audi when mounting a new tire. I trusted the tire shop and didn't inspect the wheels before or after new tires were mounted. I left the shop and a couple of days later found the damage when washing my car (it was driven straight home and parked following tire service). I had no recourse to the tire store at that point.

Take your time and carefully inspect your wheels before and after tire service.

·
Registered
3,185 Posts
I get my tires in Pasadena and the guy who owns the place is himself a track junkie. They also offer "road force" balancing if you wish. Ask for Andrew
ISLAND TIRES & SERVICE

Be sure to tell them where the jack points are

Island Tire & Service continues to give customers what they cannot find in many other shops. Our Hunter GSP9700 StrightTrack LFM Wheel Balancer gives the choice of dynamic, static, and road force balancing. For the most precise wheel balancing service's we are one of the few to offer Road Force balancing. A simulated road test is done to the wheel while on the GSP9700 which in turn gives out a computer reading of how many pounds of pull is actually being created. If too many pounds are created, accurate measurements are taken, the tire is rotated on the wheel and rebalanced for another time. In most cases this solves the pull problem. After the wheel is balanced with either clip on or adhesive weights the wheel is marked for later indication. Same procedures are done for the next 3 wheels and after all are marked 1, 2, 3, and 4 the computer screen tells the technician where exactly to place each wheel on the car for best driving results. Prices for road force balancing are $20.00 per wheel. Dynamic and static balancing are $12.00 per wheel. All balancing carries a lifetime of the tire guarantee. Mounting and demounting of tires on rims are included in balancing prices. For more information on Road Force, Dynamic, and Static balancing visit GSP9700.com.

·
Premium Member
4,713 Posts
...... (LBH used a local race shop in Culver City for the alignment actually I found out, I think argent racing )

The shop is Lucent Motors in West Los Angeles on Sepulveda, near the corner of Olympic and Sepulveda. Contact Tom at Lucent, he's great at alignments and really knows the Lotus -- 310-231-3328

·
Registered
539 Posts
i know its been a while since this thread was started, but this is an update for anyone in the Santa Monica, West LA area.

(Stokes Tires Pros which was mentioned by the OP)
I went to them to replace my two rears today, and had a very good experience.

the guys i dealt with know the Elise well, and were very professional.
I ordered the tires the day before, and they said it would be there the very next morning, which it was.

They know how to lift the car properly and all in all were very knowledgeable and easy to work with.

i recommend them for anyone in the area that needs new tires, or just a flat fixed.
ask for Albert, he was quite the lotus enthusiast as well. :up:

Stokes Tire Pros Santa Monica: Tires for Cars, Trucks & SUVs

·
Registered
817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I actually ended up going to Stokes as well for my two rear A048s... They did a great job and were done before I could finish my tacos at Tacos Por Favor (amazing Mexican food BTW). Green's in North Hollywood had better prices, but couldn't get the tires in stock quickly. One of the guys at Stokes had a silver Espirit at the lot and we talked a bit about the joys of owning a Lotus...

·
Premium Member
26,313 Posts
i like globe tire in manhattan beach alot. they're very straightforward and get the car turned around quickly. they also used to do all the tire work for South Bay Lotus when they were around and they've certainly change tires on my exige. so no lift mishaps!!

i usually try to schedule it in around lunchtime and walk over to the Big Wok mongolian bbq place up the street. you can also schlep over to the South Bay BMW used lot to consider any future purchases ;)
Yeah, Globe Manhattan Beach.

They work on your car on the ground. Gently/carefully. :up:

Mention Qais (formerly of SouthBay Lotus right across the street now Southbay BMW) and you might get a discount.

·
Registered
3,958 Posts
The shop is Lucent Motors in West Los Angeles on Sepulveda, near the corner of Olympic and Sepulveda. Contact Tom at Lucent, he's great at alignments and really knows the Lotus -- 310-231-3328
+1 They did my car's alignment and four corner balancing after Jack's reco. The car's now handles like a dream.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts