The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,941 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
No, I'm not talking about illegal stuff. I'm talking about sunglasses, garage door opener, maybe even dollar bills for brdige toll. Yeah, I know this could all go in the cargo net, but in other open tops, these tempting items might more naturally go in a locked gove box.

So, Elise owners -- any thoughts on where this stuff goes, save the trunk?

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
I am looking at two solutions.

1. A small locking container that has not been designed/built yet.

2. Creating a small "pressed in" partition in the aluminum tray for holding small crap. This will include some internal lining for sound deadening and to not allow sliding under high g-force loads. :)

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
Re: the garage door opener(s), on my Miata I cut into the sun visor and installed two mini-transmitters (I also bought a replacement visor so the eventual new owner of the car would not have to live with a hacked-up sun visor, or in case things didn't work as planned). The finished product isn't perfect but it's not bad. I don't think the Elises sun visors are suitable because they're miniscule, but I wonder if there are any areas to install a button or switch somewhere in the cockpit that would not look rinky-dink ?

·
Registered
8,270 Posts
Maybe we can rig a pouch under the front lip of the drivers seat? Where back of the knee would be, it'll be hidden and easily accessible, we could last it to the sping of the seat so that it doesn't mar the finish.

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
To make things easier on the motorcycle, I got a keychain-fob for the garage door. They're very small, and not expensive. As much as I hate adding to my keychain, it's worth the bulk.

As a bonus, you aren't leaving the 'key to your house' in the car all the time.

·
Registered
6,802 Posts
Stash it behind the seats, even with the top off and alarm on anyone reaches in WWWWWWWAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
The most obnoxious alarm I've ever encountered, my wife tested it out last weekend!:D
Chris

·
Registered
11 Posts
on a side note, what about a [flame suit on] cup-holder that could sit somehow on the wide side-sills on both driver or passenger sides. I'm not sure (without a car yet) how they could be secured in that position, but I do like to sip a cool beverage to wet a parched palate now and again on a long trip. I might consider removing these items for, say, a track event!

Chris Horan

·
Registered
6,802 Posts
strageo,
The car has an ersatz cupholder in the back between the two seats. It'd hold bottled water, don't know about a cup or such
Chris

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
I've already come up with two solutions for water/cold beverage use while in the car.

1. Carry a camelback, loop the straps so it rides on the back of the seat, and use as normal.

2. put a piece of velcro on the side sill, and have a bike water bottle with another piece of velcro wrapped around and glued to it. Then I can set it there, on it's side, and it won't roll around. perfect for highway use.

A variation on that theme is that I'm thinking a piece of velcro sewed to an elastic band would be perfect to carry with me... just in case I buy a drink at a 7-11 or whatever. just slip the elastic band over the bottle, and voila... instant velcro for whatever bottle I happen to have.

Cade

·
Registered
11 Posts
on a side note, what about a [flame suit on] cup-holder that could sit somehow on the wide side-sills on both driver or passenger sides. I'm not sure (without a car yet) how they could be secured in that position, but I do like to sip a cool beverage to wet a parched palate now and again on a long trip. I might consider removing these items for, say, a track event!

Chris Horan

·
Registered
9,150 Posts
The best spot I've seen is the little compartment to the left of the steering wheel, which is almost not visable from outside. And Chris is right-that's a loud, grating alarm. A cd case hides very well behind the driver seat. So well I couldn't remember where I put it and assumed it was stolen until I started groping around behind there...

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
MotorCade said:
I've already come up with two solutions for water/cold beverage use while in the car.

1. Carry a camelback, loop the straps so it rides on the back of the seat, and use as normal.

[storymode]

A few years ago I took my MR2 to the big track at Willow Springs. For those that don't know, it's a wide open fast track, not well suited to lower horsepower cars. Interesting because the corners workers kept flagging the cars in front of me to allow me to pass, then on the straights they would move over, wave me... and accelerate away from me. :)

Anyway... during this time I was a little ill with Graves Disease and one symptom was this very bad thirst. All the time. So I thought, hey! I can rig up my camelback. I put it behind the seat using the straps like you said.

First session out, it worked awesome. I got into a routine that after turn 9, on the main straight I would just floor the car and reach back and get the tube and take a sip. Plenty of time before turn 1. Speeds here in my 135hp car was about 120mph.

But... on one lap, I went thru turn 9, floored it, reach for the tube.. and something was not allowing it to come forward. I tugged harder and I guess the bite valve on the end was caught because the tube flipped forward without the valve. The water was spraying out of the tube, all over the cabin and inside the windsheild. Holy crap!

This does not happen to pro racers!!
[/storymode]

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
On long trips in my MR2, I would use one of these suction-cup cup holders that also inserted into the window slit. It worked well. I used another one on the rear window to hold my cell phone.

Once I get my car, I will look into maybe a custom solution.

·
insert clever title here
7,702 Posts
Once my car arrives, I'll be designing a lockable storage compartment for it. If I'm happy with how it turns out, I'll make a few dozen and sell them. I think others have similar plans. So, hold tight, and in a few months, I think there will be a variety of aftermarket storage solutions available.

·
Registered
9,150 Posts
It's a real problem I face daily. I wind up tossing a bunch of stuff in the trunk every time, which is annoying and troublesome. The face plate goes under the front edge of the driver's seat, and I use CHEAP sunglasses-steal away. garage door opener? XM receiver? change? no solution yet. I like a lockable box behind the seats, but have not designed or built such a contraption yet. And then that would block the already insufficient speakers....

1 - 15 of 15 Posts