The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I'm looking to replace my center exhaust muffler with a pair of center straight pipes to save on weight. Does anyone have pictures of various setups, or can speak on the quality of the available versions out there?

Thanks!

So far, I'm thinking JAE version, Lotus PBC version, Larini Systems version, etc.

-Will
'03 V8

·
Registered
2,955 Posts
If you area member of Lotus LTD contact Peter Muir who is in charge of the Florida Chapter. He took off the converter and is running straight pipes on his Esprit, but I'm not sure if he has a 4 or 8 cylinder since he had 2 Esprits adn sold one.

I am away from home and have his email address and can PM it to you when I get home next week.

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
If you want maximum weight saving, you can use 3" aluminum after the turbo's. Aluminum is far lighter then stainless and at 3" you have more then enough area to dissapate the heat. Some of the import guys have been running aluminum exhaust pipes for a couple years now to save weight without the hassle or cost of titanium.

·
98 Esprit V8 Calypso Red
310 Posts
Personally I think you'll save a lot of weight if you replace the cats with some kind of high flow cats, or even go with a test pipe (no cats)...

Ask your local muffler shop to do it is probably the best solution. If you'll do the whole set up you can go a little bigger in diameter like 2.5"...that'll save weight & the turbos will spool up a lot faster because of less back pressure.

Make sure you ask the muffler shop to do mandrel bent pipes instead of crush bent.

Alan

1 - 6 of 6 Posts