The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone suggest the best solar charger to use with my Evora (needs to go to the Cigarette lighter). I can't keep jump starting the car so figured out will leave it outseide with a solar tender. And I cannot use a different charger as I do not have power outlet at my storage

Thanks!

·
Registered
6,961 Posts
Solar charger applications for cars are a waste of time. They simply do not generate sufficient amperage to maintain a battery.
Michael

·
Registered
5,709 Posts
I bought a pair of solar chargers (15W) from costco for my car and they weren't effective. They were were a shίt waste of money.

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
hmm, thats an interesting charger, I wonder why they decided to use the OBDII port instead of the 12v socket, I can't imagine that many amps going through something that small though.

OP: your best bet is probably to unhook the battery until you need to drive it, that way no load is on the battery.

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
I wonder, if you could get a solar charger that could generate enough power to maintain a very small battery.

Mainly for an onboard computer. That you could used to record video with. For example connecting 2 full time cameras, one front facing, one rear facing, and use the panel to keep it up, and recording to a hard drive under the dash part time, when parked outside of your garage.

·
Registered
5,709 Posts
Alternatively you could use a combiner that charges an external pc680 which powers the cameras 24-7. When the car is running the battery gets charged by the car's charging system, but when the car is turned off it draws only from the 2nd battery. The combiner will combine the batteries if needed at startup.

·
Registered
6,961 Posts
I wonder, if you could get a solar charger that could generate enough power to maintain a very small battery.

Mainly for an onboard computer. That you could used to record video with. For example connecting 2 full time cameras, one front facing, one rear facing, and use the panel to keep it up, and recording to a hard drive under the dash part time, when parked outside of your garage.
No :rolleyes:

·
Inactive
831 Posts
1 - 11 of 11 Posts