The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Premium Member
960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't know where to post this but plan to move somewhere warmer than the northeast in the next few years.

Any great advice on what areas offer great track options, warmer year round weather and ideally "low to no" income taxes?

·
Premium Member
8,381 Posts
Had to get to contacts to get location. Too hot for me!!

·
Premium Member
1,865 Posts
Had to get to contacts to get location. Too hot for me!!
Actually, what they do in the summer time is to start track time earlier in the morning, 8am, and just run until about 10-11 am. They even have garages that have A/C. Just spent a week and a half out there and I wouldn't mind retiring there. What I told the wife is that we could migrate north for the hot summer months.

Later,
Eldon

·
Registered
2020 Lotus Evora GT - Vivid Green
349 Posts
Southeast TN (Chattanooga). No income tax. Tracks within a few hours: NCM, Barber, Road Atlanta, AMP. Additional tracks within 5-6 hours: VIR, CMP, Roebling Road

·
Registered
2020 Lotus Evora GT - Vivid Green
349 Posts
I'm actually in Mid-TN. But Chattanooga is closer to more tracks

Reactions: dogtag114

·
Premium Member
8,381 Posts
That’s in the running. The wife would not like a desert.

Florida seems an obvious choice but I think summer would be just too hot to do track or much anything else outside. Wife has a sister in Jupiter.
Florida heat and humidity get old fast along with the endless number of Qtips everywhere. Lots of Blue Plate sspecial though

Reactions: dogtag114

·
Registered
2005 Storm Titanium Lotus Elise
8 Posts
Florida heat and humidity get old fast along with the endless number of Qtips everywhere. Lots of Blue Plate sspecial though
I live in Florida and you can count the number of roads with more than two turns on one hand. I'll agree with the folks above...N. Ga, TN, or maybe the Asheville area.

·
Registered
682 Posts
The trick to racing in the SouthEast during Summer is being in top physical shape. So it's hot......Florida's College football players practice in the heat too. I'm pushing 70 soon and will not be slowed down......open cockpit car, double layer Nomex, a head sock, a helmet on, along with Nomex gloves and I'll sit on the grid for 15 minutes - no umbrella. By the way - these days I have a pulse monitor on my dashboard, not just the common gauges.

·
Vendor
3,562 Posts
From a tax basis standpoint both TN and FL are fantastic. TN has very low personal property/registration tax on vehicles. You pay regular sales tax, but you do that in FL as well. The problem with East TN is that NC got all the best mountain locations in terms of elevation for coolness. Tail of the dragon is awesome. FL is flat and hot.

I met a guy that retired in NC and had an identical Floor plan house in Florida. Twice a year he would load up the car with a change of clothes and his computer and move the "in season" house. Everything else was duplicated. Not cheap, but very baller way to do it.

·
Registered
2011 Evora S, 2017 BRZ Yellow, 2019 Ranger Lariat FX4
49 Posts
You have 2 options. Northern you have good weather in the summer and too cold in the winter. Southern you have good weather in the winter but to hot in the summer. Ether way you will have a couple of months you may not want to track. Here they still do track days July and August but I do not.

·
Premium Member
960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I live in Florida and you can count the number of roads with more than two turns on one hand. I'll agree with the folks above...N. Ga, TN, or maybe the Asheville area.
Jupiter would be in the running and PBIR could be available, but its damn flat. I'd have to switch to an Ariel Atom to make it exciting.

·
Premium Member
8,381 Posts
The trick to racing in the SouthEast during Summer is being in top physical shape. So it's hot......Florida's College football players practice in the heat too. I'm pushing 70 soon and will not be slowed down......open cockpit car, double layer Nomex, a head sock, a helmet on, along with Nomex gloves and I'll sit on the grid for 15 minutes - no umbrella. By the way - these days I have a pulse monitor on my dashboard, not just the common gauges.
Funny, I could say the trick to retiring in Northern New England is being in great shape by living outdoors doing athletic things daily like hiking, mtn biking, kayaking, golf, etc and skiing all winter long. Then you get to enjoy beautiful summers where it barely brakes 80....oh and you don't need a track in thre winter cuz you get great snow covered low traction roads all winter so every day can be a track day.....

·
Premium Member
960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Funny, I could say the trick to retiring in Northern New England is being in great shape by living outdoors doing athletic things daily like hiking, mtn biking, kayaking, golf, etc and skiing all winter long. Then you get to enjoy beautiful summers where it barely brakes 80....oh and you don't need a track in thre winter cuz you get great snow covered low traction roads all winter so every day can be a track day.....
I love the Northeast. My Swedish lumberjack blood could split wood and build fires everyday. The wife is done with winters.
I haven't been to Tennessee or North Carolina since childhood. That seems to be the climate middle ground. We'll need to check those out. At the moment, the agreement is to wait 3-4 more years for the younger one to finish college.

·
Premium Member
734 Posts
I agree with TN or north GA. While GA has income tax it's not bad vs other states I have lived. I moved to the Orlando area about 18 months ago and my view on "hot" is that other markets have seasons where you don't go outside much because it's cold. Here you don't go outside for 3 or 4 months because it's too hot. Track days are not a problem, run the AC. Straight track cars are not a problem, run a cool suit. All that said it's the most boring place I have lived in terms of run roads... I'm either going to buy a place in north GA for summers or move there after I sell the rest of the company that I'm still in (don't want to pay state cap gains tax).

ps. While no income tax in FL property tax is way higher than GA. I just got my bill; $18K.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts