The Lotus Cars Community banner
21 - 40 of 46 Posts

·
Administrator
2005 Lotus Elise
2,242 Posts
Jupiter would be in the running and PBIR could be available, but its damn flat. I'd have to switch to an Ariel Atom to make it exciting.
Don't count on PBIR, it is most likely being leveled to put in a Walmart Distribution Center.

I agree with others about Florida roads being too flat and not very interesting. It does get hot and humid but you will get used to it. It also sounds like you may have options to go north for the hot months. Good luck!

·
Registered
163 Posts
I just retired to the North Georgia mountains. 15 minutes from AMP. 1 hour to Road Atlanta. Summers are cooler in the mountains than the rest of GA. Great mountain roads are everywhere.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Washington State or Pacific Northwest - Not necessarily warmer than the Northeast, but certainly milder in the winter and the summer is dryer and more pleasant. Trackdays run year 'round. No state income tax in WA. Pacific Raceways, Ridge Motorsports Park, Portland International Raceway, Oregon Raceway Park, Spokane Raceway, and Mission Raceway are all within a few hours drive (can make longer road trips to california also). Great motorsports community up here with a strong club racing scene as well.

·
Vendor
3,564 Posts
We moved to the upstate of SC from AZ for a host of reasons. Very good climate-wise. Very few mosquitos in the summer, less humidity than Midwest or Tennessee. Lower part of SC is a swamp, we're in the foothills of the blue-ridge mountains. Summers have some hot days. Rarely see 100F several days in the 90s, mostly 80s. Winter can be cold, but usually reasonable. 50s-60s during day with 30s-40s at night. Every couple of years we get a dusting of snow. As far as 1 place for year around living that is not coastal, it is pretty good.

Sales tax on vehicles is capped at $500. Sales tax on everything else is 6% which is pretty low. Property tax on houses is quite reasonable. Housing is very affordable. You can live 20-25 minutes from downtown and get a starter home for $150k or a 3500 sq ft house in a small lot neighborhood for $350k-$400k.
Power is pretty cheap as is nat gas.
County governance where we live is awesome. People are super easy to deal with and friendly. DMV is state run and a bucket of crap.
Lots of hiking, lakes, and outdoors.
Because BMW is in town our local airport has an 11,000' runway so they can take any plane. Hubs for carriers are in ATL(2.5hr drive) and Charlotte(1.5hr drive), or a hop out of here. Several major carriers. Airport is small but super pleasant to deal with because of it. Most major carriers provide service.

The downsides: Personal property tax on vehicles is high and that is every year. HOWEVER, now that the elise's are all 15 years old, they are "antiques" and cost about $40 a year to register.
Some infrastructural growing pains, traffic-wise.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Florida smells like an armpit. Although a few good tracks nearby -- the risk of my home being blown away every year kinda kills that whole state, along with the armpit smell. Unless you're actually at a track, sitting in a pool, it's kinda miserable. Fun side quest, google: "Florida man" and your birthdate and enjoy the lunacy that exists.

Someone mentioned Spring Mountain. Incredible track, with lots of varying configs, but you either have to live in Pahrump (pretty rural, but housing is affordable), or Vegas (great to visit, terrible to live). SMMR is top three best tracks on the west coast.

Surprised not a single SoCal mention. Best weather. Willow Springs, Chuckwalla, Streets of Willow, Thermal, Buttonwillow, LVMS, SMMR... all within 5hrs drive. Stretch it to 8hrs and you now have Laguna Seca, Thunderhill, Sonoma, Wild Horse Pass (AZ), and Inde (AZ).
Downside, taxes and Californians.

·
Registered
623 Posts
If the Nashville Motorsports Enclave was ever going to be built that would be cool to have out that direction but I think that project is going no where.

·
Registered
2020 Lotus Evora GT - Vivid Green
352 Posts
If the Nashville Motorsports Enclave was ever going to be built that would be cool to have out that direction but I think that project is going no where.
2 issues with that place. Too close to civilization so the neighbors shut it down before they broke ground. And they didn't plan to make the track motorcycle safe. But yeah, would have been nice

·
Primm907
44 Posts
Check out Northwest Arkansas. We live in Fayetteville (college town) with plenty to do, but there’s still a lot of beautiful rural areas as well as spots like Bentonville that are blowing up with Walton backed money and solid infrastructure.
Just wrapped up an awesome weekend at Porschepalooza over in Eureka Springs which is only 45 minutes away.
Sorry, but we’re back in Porsches for now until the Emira gets a year or two under its belt!
Great driving roads and a couple of decent tracks like Hallett just west of Tulsa, and a brand new one up in Missouri.

https://m.facebook.com/OzarksInternationalRaceway/

·
Premium Member
965 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Check out Northwest Arkansas. We live in Fayetteville (college town) with plenty to do, but there’s still a lot of beautiful rural areas as well as spots like Bentonville that are blowing up with Walton backed money and solid infrastructure.
Just wrapped up an awesome weekend at Porschepalooza over in Eureka Springs which is only 45 minutes away.
Sorry, but we’re back in Porsches for now until the Emira gets a year or two under its belt!
Great driving roads and a couple of decent tracks like Hallett just west of Tulsa, and a brand new one up in Missouri.

https://m.facebook.com/OzarksInternationalRaceway/
I've been watching the build of that track, looks incredible.

·
Vendor
3,564 Posts
Florida smells like an armpit. Although a few good tracks nearby -- the risk of my home being blown away every year kinda kills that whole state, along with the armpit smell. Unless you're actually at a track, sitting in a pool, it's kinda miserable. Fun side quest, google: "Florida man" and your birthdate and enjoy the lunacy that exists.

Someone mentioned Spring Mountain. Incredible track, with lots of varying configs, but you either have to live in Pahrump (pretty rural, but housing is affordable), or Vegas (great to visit, terrible to live). SMMR is top three best tracks on the west coast.

Surprised not a single SoCal mention. Best weather. Willow Springs, Chuckwalla, Streets of Willow, Thermal, Buttonwillow, LVMS, SMMR... all within 5hrs drive. Stretch it to 8hrs and you now have Laguna Seca, Thunderhill, Sonoma, Wild Horse Pass (AZ), and Inde (AZ).
Downside, taxes and Californians.
If you have the means to live retire in So Cal, it is perhaps worth a mention. If you have to work for a living, it IS an armpit. So much traffic, crap roads, crap schools, everything is just crammed together, high taxes, and cost of living. We've autoxed out there for years while we lived in AZ and watched it slowly get worse and worse. Now if you could live in Malibu or up the coast maybe.....

·
Premium Member
965 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
If you have the means to live retire in So Cal, it is perhaps worth a mention. If you have to work for a living, it IS an armpit. So much traffic, crap roads, crap schools, everything is just crammed together, high taxes, and cost of living. We've autoxed out there for years while we lived in AZ and watched it slowly get worse and worse. Now if you could live in Malibu or up the coast maybe.....
I'll be kind and say I hope all our Lotus friends escape in time, then I'd be ok with California floating out to sea.

·
Registered
223 Posts
True.

Or, get away from that corner of the state and go more inland. Roads improve, traffic improves, and more space for living. Doesn't fix the higher taxes and COL though.

Even still, it hits most of the basic requirements of the OP's desires:
  • Great weather, check
  • Variety of tracks, check
  • Great tracks, check
  • Year round track ability, check
  • Great state to retire, eh. :D

Not many other states offer as many options.

Sadly, I'm in Idaho where I have the inverse of the list above.

·
Premium Member
2010 Exige 260 Sport, 1979 Eclat, 1969 Type 61 Formula Ford
59 Posts
Colorado. Never cold in the sun, never hot in the shade. No humidity, 300+ sunny days, reasonable taxes. Mild winters. Check out the RMVR schedule for races. You can always take a trip and do a few races back East or out West. And there are plenty of really fun roads to drive the street car on.

·
Premium Member
1,140 Posts
Colorado. Never cold in the sun, never hot in the shade. No humidity, 300+ sunny days, reasonable taxes. Mild winters. Check out the RMVR schedule for races. You can always take a trip and do a few races back East or out West. And there are plenty of really fun roads to drive the street car on.
And the local Lotus club, Lotus Colorado (LoCo) are some of the nicest folk you'll ever meet. I miss living in CO.

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
My vote is the hill country of Texas between San Antonio and Austin. COTA is stone's throw away, plus you can join Harris Hill Road Course for $200/month and track almost every day. I miss that area every day and plan to get back there someday.

Reactions: dogtag114

·
Premium Member
965 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
My vote is the hill country of Texas between San Antonio and Austin. COTA is stone's throw away, plus you can join Harris Hill Road Course for $200/month and track almost every day. I miss that area every day and plan to get back there someday.
Hmmmmm this I haven’t looked at yet.

21 - 40 of 46 Posts