The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was 100% set on ordering the R888 for my 16x7 and 17x8 wheels, but before I go through with it I think this is a good question to ask.

I only plan on running the car on the street with these wheels/tires. No rain and no sub zero weather. Would the R888 still be the best street tires or is there something better out there? How do the R1R compare or other street tires out there? Price is not really an issue so I do not daily drive this car.

If going with the R888 I would be running stock front tire size (195/50/16) and rear would be either 225/45/R17 or 235/45/R17 for the rear.

If I go with a different tire I would consider 205/50/16 for the front if available.

Options welcome. :)

Thanks,
Alex

·
www.theapexinn.com
11,689 Posts
I use these......Good Gription !

Attachments

·
Registered
195 Posts
I will probably get vilified for this but I run two sets of wheels, LSS and stock. On the LSS wheels I use them for spirited runs and some autocross and track days with AO48s on them. When they wear out, I will buy R888s.

My stock wheels are on my car 95% of the time as my car is a semi-daily driver. Mounted on them are Yokohama S.drive tires. The S.drives don't have the feel of the old AD07s that were on them, but, being a little softer, the ride is not nearly as harsh and I don't feel like I'm going to rattle the car to pieces on railroad crossings and harsh Oklahoma City roads. I have a lot more confidence in the wet traction ability than the old AD07s as well.

Finally, these tires have lasted almost 20,000 miles and I am still not at the wear bars on the rears. The cost is also quite cheap at a little over $300 for a set of four.

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
I think you'll love the R888s on the street. They are a true R compound tire. The next bet is the Ecsta XS or Falke RT615. I have Falkens that are not as grippy as R888s, but I have track wheels and I liked the fact that Falkens came in a 215 front and 235 rear secion width that were very close to stock rolling diameter.

PS I run my car rain or shine, and I do wonder about R888 performance in standing water.

·
Premium Member
7,557 Posts
General Exclaim UHP's for street. Lov'm best rain tire I've ever had (rain tires for track too). I gave up on DotR for street cause in New England it drops below 60 a lot in mornings as well as spring and fall and below 60 Dot R's are useless unles you are at a track and can actually get heat into them. AD07's better, but they suck below 50 degrees for same reasons

·
purveyor of lightness
4,230 Posts
General Exclaim UHP's for street. Lov'm best rain tire I've ever had (rain tires for track too).
I love mine for daily driver work - 10x quieter than the stock A048's and just as sticky in a straight line...

Just NEVER try and use them for autocross duty like I did last Sunday... boy oh boy did they squeal like piggies and have NO traction... sloooow :(

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Having lived in Dallas, I don't believe you could actually extract the full potential of the R888 on the streets around there. I think you are just throwing away money by using them. I would step down a class to the R1R, Direzza, AD07, or RE11. They are more than plenty, will ride better, and last longer.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Having lived in Dallas, I don't believe you could actually extract the full potential of the R888 on the streets around there. I think you are just throwing away money by using them. I would step down a class to the R1R, Direzza, AD07, or RE11. They are more than plenty, will ride better, and last longer.
Tru

I'd go with R1R. Great all around tire for street and light track duty. Better in the rain and longer life than R888.

·
Registered
2008 Lotus Exige-S 240
1,437 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
I run Yokohama S-drive's along with a couple other local Elise drivers. It's too darned hot in Houston to run anything sticky on a daily-driver. :)

They're surprisingly good tires and last a long time. Decent on the track but, understandably, not in the same class as A048s or R888s.

·
Registered
596 Posts
I wouldn't run Toyo's R-888 as a street tire. The sidewalls are very stiff, they will hydroplane if you get caught in a downpour and you won't get the tires hot enough for maximum grip on the street. The R888's are good track tires, but there are better and cheaper tires available for street use.

I run Goodyear F1's on my stock wheels and am happy with them for street driving, but the other suggestions of Yokohama S.drives or Bridgestone RE11 should be good too.

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
I run the General exclaim UHP's also 205/50r16 and 245/40r17 and they are MUCH more comfy than the a048's, and they are wonderful at shedding water as has been mentioned... that said if you have no encounters with standing water (puddles... which is exactly why i bought them) then i don't know that i'd bother getting them unless you're on a budget or want a tire that's sure to be more comfortable, which also means less precise feeling. I really like the look of the taller front tire, but it also pushes more for it as well.

They last decently (after about 25-30k miles the fronts are still in good shape and the rears are nearing the wear bars, but I think there are probably sticker tires out there for your purposes. I'm planning on putting Toyo T1-R's on my 15/16's i have and see how they do. They're supposed to be pretty sticky and good in the wet and with puddles so hopefully it'll turn out to be a good balance. They don't make the general exclaim UHP in my sizes for that, so it's not even an option. They don't make the R1R's in my 15/16 sizes either so that's off the option list also... but i'm not so sure about their hydroplane resistence.

·
Registered
2,509 Posts
i'm probably looking at more of an intermediate tire myself also for the street, where's the best place to pick up either the R1R's or T1R's?. I guess tirerack doesn't deal Toyo?

·
Registered
2,509 Posts
i also have the RAC's, and wanted to upgrade to a 235 rear. what size should i run in the rear? would the aspect ratio change at all? Or would it just be a 235/45/R17?

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I am either going to stick with the R888 or go Z1. I read a lot about the R1R's which are supposed to be better than the T1R's and I was not impressed. Then you add the fact that they cost so much more and they fell off of my list.

If you go Toyo tires go here: Home Page @ TiresDirect.Net

As I said though I suggest you read a bit more about the R1R's before you go for them.

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
i read here that the T1-R has been used extensively for quite some time in england on their Lotus' because of their wet performance. That's part of what put them on my list. I think the general grabber UHP's would underwhelm most people on this forum, but they certainly work for my needs... and thay're nice and predictable at the limits... but it's just that the limits come a little eariler than i think people will expect.

I'd be interested in the goodyear F1 gs-d3 ... those used to get a lot of play here as a good all around tire and good in the wet.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
I swear by the RE11's. Why are people not considering these? They are better than the stock AD07 and that is a damn good tire.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
My stock tires are the Yokohama ADVAN A048.

The closest RE11's that are available are 205/45R16 as far as the front goes. Rear they are available in exactly what is needed, but honestly at the price they sell for I may as well just go for the R888.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Another vote for the R1Rs as a great street tire — I'm running 205/45R16 and 235/40R17 at the moment, and they have really impressed me so far.

R888s seem great, but they don't last quite as long. If you have the money, go for it — but I think the R1R is a great combination of racing and street tire.

Then again, I haven't tried a lot of different tires, but I did come from the A048s, so I know how they are compared to those.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts