The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2008 S2 111S 1ZZ Elise and I'm thinking of adding a supercharger. I don't mind a second hand one and I don't need the one producing the fastest car (car will never be tracked) so what I'm really looking for the best cost/benefit one. Also it has to be easy/cheap to install by a "backyard" mechanic. What, in your opinion:

1. Is the best supercharger for this upgrade please give model etc., if available So I can go to the seller and he'll now the exact one to give me.
2. Rough cost and rough install price
3. Rough time to install by "backyard Mechanic"
4. Where do you get it?

As I said, not necessarily the fastest/best just something to give the car extra "jip" at an economical price.

Also can you tell me what I have to do to the ECU once installed (if anything?) and roughly how much this costs.

Thanks guys! OLD FELLA

·
Registered
227 Posts
Hi Old Fella,

I just went through the same analysis. Installing myself wasn't an option, however, nor am I technical enough to really know what I'm talking about so take anything you read with a grain of salt. With that said;

Factory Option
I think this is the MP45, or as one guy called it, a 'baby blower'. I found these used (but in good condition) on LT and eBay for around $2,500. Installation was going to be about a grand and you'll need the car retuned which was about $500 at the dealership. That was going to put me out $4,000 to add 30hp (+/-), but I had the 'good feeling' of knowing it was a factory option.

Katana/MP62 Kits
You can find these used on LT for under 3k or new for just over 4k (no intercooler) and with the bigger blower you're getting more 'kick' than factory. You can also add intercoolers and whatever else to really build these kits up, but you'll have to get a tune from one of the resellers (VF, Sector111, etc). Depending on who you ask, those tunes range from 'great' to 'problematic'. I assumed install of these kits was also about a grand with the tune roughly the same as with a factory kit, bringing my price up to $4500-$6000, but with more power than factory and the ability to build more if I wanted.

BOE REV300/REV400
These are the kits that Phil sells based on the TVS superchargers. The REV300 is around $5800 with another $500 for the tune, plus install. I couldn't find any used. From what I read (and understood) however, is that because these blowers are larger (and newer), they produced similar power in non-intercooled form than you would get out of the Katana/MP62 kits with intercoolers.

In the end, I went with the REV300 because I was convinced (right or wrong) that the software out there used to tune this kit was better/more comprehensive than what was being used to tune the MP62 kits. That info was confirmed in a few conversations I had with LT members as well, although I don't believe that meant the other tunes were 'bad' - just not as 'good'. In the end, I spent more than I wanted for more power than I thought I would need, but I decided it was better to have options and what (I hope) to have a very drivable, reliable car for years to come.

Checkout BOE, Vision Function and Sector111 and see for yourself. I'll have my car back soon and will gladly share my experience once I'm back on the road!

Question for you, though: I saw you looking for the gullwing top, now you're looking for seals. That tells me you found one. Where and how much? Like you, I think they look great, despite how much they might leak.

·
Registered
945 Posts
Those are all good superchargers but those are all products for the 111R Federal (2ZZ) Elise, not the 111S (1ZZ) Elise.

There is one old but good thread on LotusTalk about 1ZZ forced induction:

http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f25/elise-s-1zz-fe-tuning-potential-77810/

There is now a TRD branded supercharger for the 1ZZ in Toyota applications (Matrix etc) but I don't know if it fits against the firewall in an S2 Elise.

You will have better luck on other Elise forums (SELOC and the Aussie forums) as 1ZZ Elise were actually sold in those countries.

One other place to look might be the MR2 Spyder forums since they came with the 1ZZ engine in all markets and have similar space problems.

I think most people who want more performance out of the 1ZZ in any car upgrade it by removing it and putting a 2ZZ in instead.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi Old Fella,

I just went through the same analysis. Installing myself wasn't an option, however, nor am I technical enough to really know what I'm talking about so take anything you read with a grain of salt. With that said;

Factory Option
I think this is the MP45, or as one guy called it, a 'baby blower'. I found these used (but in good condition) on LT and eBay for around $2,500. Installation was going to be about a grand and you'll need the car retuned which was about $500 at the dealership. That was going to put me out $4,000 to add 30hp (+/-), but I had the 'good feeling' of knowing it was a factory option.

Katana/MP62 Kits
You can find these used on LT for under 3k or new for just over 4k (no intercooler) and with the bigger blower you're getting more 'kick' than factory. You can also add intercoolers and whatever else to really build these kits up, but you'll have to get a tune from one of the resellers (VF, Sector111, etc). Depending on who you ask, those tunes range from 'great' to 'problematic'. I assumed install of these kits was also about a grand with the tune roughly the same as with a factory kit, bringing my price up to $4500-$6000, but with more power than factory and the ability to build more if I wanted.

BOE REV300/REV400
These are the kits that Phil sells based on the TVS superchargers. The REV300 is around $5800 with another $500 for the tune, plus install. I couldn't find any used. From what I read (and understood) however, is that because these blowers are larger (and newer), they produced similar power in non-intercooled form than you would get out of the Katana/MP62 kits with intercoolers.

In the end, I went with the REV300 because I was convinced (right or wrong) that the software out there used to tune this kit was better/more comprehensive than what was being used to tune the MP62 kits. That info was confirmed in a few conversations I had with LT members as well, although I don't believe that meant the other tunes were 'bad' - just not as 'good'. In the end, I spent more than I wanted for more power than I thought I would need, but I decided it was better to have options and what (I hope) to have a very drivable, reliable car for years to come.

Checkout BOE, Vision Function and Sector111 and see for yourself. I'll have my car back soon and will gladly share my experience once I'm back on the road!

Question for you, though: I saw you looking for the gullwing top, now you're looking for seals. That tells me you found one. Where and how much? Like you, I think they look great, despite how much they might leak.
Hi James, Thanks for all the stuff but as noted in another post I have a 1zz motor!

The gull wing was on SELOC (in UK) I'm in Australia....I'de been looking since about September (and it arrived last Friday!). I paid 1200 pounds (I think) but the freight (air mail) to Australia was well over $A1,000 so after all the fees and cost I reckon it cost a little over $A4,000 (about $US3,500) to get it here. In the last 4 months it's the only one that was for sale anywhere I looked and I reckon you just have to keep looking and don't haggle about price when you see one or the colour (I think there are now 3 in Australia and I doubt they will ever come up for sale until the car is sold). Yes they look great but the moulds aren't that good in that the wings have large gaps around them (hopefully I can fix this with seals??). It will cost a lot to get it fitted properly because the fitting moulds were "average" to start with. (I'm guessing $A1,000 but I haven't got a quote yet. Look on LT, SELOC, Piston heads and Ebay and I wish you luck). When you get one, if you need more help PM me). CHEERS OLD FELLA

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Those are all good superchargers but those are all products for the 111R Federal (2ZZ) Elise, not the 111S (1ZZ) Elise.

There is one old but good thread on LotusTalk about 1ZZ forced induction:

http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f25/elise-s-1zz-fe-tuning-potential-77810/

There is now a TRD branded supercharger for the 1ZZ in Toyota applications (Matrix etc) but I don't know if it fits against the firewall in an S2 Elise.

You will have better luck on other Elise forums (SELOC and the Aussie forums) as 1ZZ Elise were actually sold in those countries.

One other place to look might be the MR2 Spyder forums since they came with the 1ZZ engine in all markets and have similar space problems.

I think most people who want more performance out of the 1ZZ in any car upgrade it by removing it and putting a 2ZZ in instead.
Thanks for all this....great help!

So let's just say I went from a 1zz motor to a 2ZZ motor - no supercharger.

1. How hard is that for a "backyard" mechanic"
2. Roughly how much do these cost (second hand?) and how much to install?
3. Any ECU problems this way?
4. What power increase would I get?
5. Is this a better cost/benefit than a supercharger? THANKS GUYS!! OLD FELLA

1 - 6 of 6 Posts