The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
To those who have made the weekday trek from L.A. to San Diego (specifically La Jolla) - when is the best time to do it? The earlier, the better, but I don't want to leave before 8am & don't want to be stuck in lots of traffic on the 5.

·
Registered
2,744 Posts
Nevermind, I realize you said weekday.

Yes, leave after 8am to miss morning commute traffic. In fact, I'd suggest leaving after 9am. You should hit no traffic in SD on a weekday.

·
Registered
3,970 Posts
BrianK said:
To those who have made the weekday trek from L.A. to San Diego (specifically La Jolla) - when is the best time to do it? The earlier, the better, but I don't want to leave before 8am & don't want to be stuck in lots of traffic on the 5.
Are you coming down the 5 all the way, or the 110/405/5 route?

In any case, when you get into Orange County, the rush hour traffic should have subsided. most of it is going the other way anyway. The crunch from Oceanside to Del Mar should also be over by the time you get there, if you leave LA at 8:00.

Before you leave that morning, check SigAlert.com:

http://www.sigalert.com/map.asp?Region=Greater+Los+Angeles

And monitor KNX 1070...traffic reports every 7 minutes. Before you get to Lake Forest, you have several alternatives around a serious traffic situation. After that, it's basically I-5, or nothing.

·
Registered
2,564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: Re: Best time (weekday morning) to drive to SD from LA?

ChrisB said:
Are you coming down the 5 all the way, or the 110/405/5 route?
5 all the way - I live about 3 miles from the 5 in Glendale.

Thanks for the advice you two. ;)

·
Premium Member
29,081 Posts
If you have time, let us know when you are coming (to sumbolic?) and we can do lunch.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts