The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Premium Member
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I remember reading something about how there was a new version of the Yokohama tires that became available in Europe. Are those tires available in the US now? Could someone who knows tires bring me up to speed on the best tire options for our cars these days? I know there are many posts on tires on the forum, but I want to confirm whether any advances in tires have made older posts out of date.

I have LSS wheels. Is it best to stick with the OEM tire size, or fit a wider tire to open more options? Thoughts and knowledge appreciated!

·
Registered
418 Posts
Where do you live? Do you have to drive in the rain? Do you go to the track sometimes or regularly? Do you go on "spirited" mountain drives, or just sedate street driving? All of these should affect what you buy.

·
Premium Member
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The car lives in Phoenix, so the lowest ambient temperatures the tires would see is about 40 degrees and a high of 110. Mostly spirited back road driving. I’m not concerned about grip in rain because I can drive my other cars in the rain.

·
Premium Member
11,892 Posts
Hmmm. People have been caught in the rain....

What SS Lotus asked was info that someone who knew a little about cars and tires would have known to mention. But, don't worry, ppl do this all the time. (Why am I surprised each time????)

First, visit Tire Rack.

·
Premium Member
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Is there a minimum knowledge requirement to post here? Let’s say I know nothing. I know there is a lot I don’t know when it comes to tires for these cars. I’m glad there is a helpful and friendly Lotus community who can help me understand the better options, when I’m politely asking to listen and learn.

·
Scott M
294 Posts
I think we're all just trying to help. Some of us are better at communicating nicely than others. ;-)

I'd love to answer your question, though I have never owned an Elise or Exige to be in a position to speak from direct experience.

For what it's worth, I'd be comfortable with any of these: Yokohama A048s or A052s; Toyo Proxes R888R... if they are available in your desired sizes like I believe they are. I drive roughly comparable tires on other cars- I just know rain means very careful driving & reduced speeds. Tread life is never a real concern for me as my Lotus and similar vehicles' rubber ages out before miles take their toll.

·
Acme Super Moderator ** The Enforcer **
7,600 Posts
Hmmm. People have been caught in the rain....
You've obviously never lived in Phoenix.

Is there a minimum knowledge requirement to post here? Let’s say I know nothing. I know there is a lot I don’t know when it comes to tires for these cars. I’m glad there is a helpful and friendly Lotus community who can help me understand the better options, when I’m politely asking to listen and learn.
Don't sweat it.

Having lived in Phoenix I wouldn't concern myself with getting caught in the rain, as obviously that's a rare occasion. I personally always use an aggressive tire with a low treadwear rating as I'm not driving my Lotus in inclement weather and it's a sports car that I subject to assertive cornering. I've always used the A048s, but I'd also consider the new R888R. As to what size to use with the LSS wheels, every tire has different sizing so I'd go with the tire manufacturer's recommendations. If you go too wide the tire will be pinched. Hope that helps.

San

·
Registered
418 Posts
Oldmansan is much more knowledgeable than me on all things Lotus, but I will give my suggestion anyway. I would go with a 200 treadwear tire that will give great handling with a little more life than the 100 tread wear Toyo 888R (which I run on the track, especially in the summer). My street/cool weather track tire is the Bridgestone RE71R, on which I set my best times on a cold day at Barber Motorsports Park. Even though you don't get much rain in Phoenix, I found the RE71R handles rain ok (we get a fair amount of it in Georgia) for those reading this where it does rain.
We all start with varying levels of knowledge/experience and even with experienced mechanics, most know very little about Lotus. Don't worry about asking. Some will reply the unhelpful "google it" but someone will remember when they bought their first Lotus and patiently explain or at least give you the link to a previous discussion. I will say that I do not understand why members don't put their city or at least state in their profile. I have made a couple connections when I found out where someone lived.

·
Premium Member
11,892 Posts
I apologize. This was more harsh than I intended. I guess I saw it as just common sense that any choice would involve how and where one drives.

People seem to love Bridgestone RE-71s.

·
Premium Member
11,892 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,892 Posts
You've obviously never lived in Phoenix.
I was in Phoenix and, after having the worst Chinese food of my life, got caught in a rain storm and realized there were no storm sewers. Flooding, sure, but no sewers.

·
Acme Super Moderator ** The Enforcer **
7,600 Posts
Oldmansan is much more knowledgeable than me on all things Lotus, but I will give my suggestion anyway. I would go with a 200 treadwear tire that will give great handling with a little more life than the 100 tread wear Toyo 888R (which I run on the track, especially in the summer). My street/cool weather track tire is the Bridgestone RE71R, on which I set my best times on a cold day at Barber Motorsports Park. Even though you don't get much rain in Phoenix, I found the RE71R handles rain ok (we get a fair amount of it in Georgia) for those reading this where it does rain.
We all start with varying levels of knowledge/experience and even with experienced mechanics, most know very little about Lotus. Don't worry about asking. Some will reply the unhelpful "google it" but someone will remember when they bought their first Lotus and patiently explain or at least give you the link to a previous discussion. I will say that I do not understand why members don't put their city or at least state in their profile. I have made a couple connections when I found out where someone lived.
You've given me way more credit than I deserve. I go with low treadwear tires as I don't put a lot of miles on my Lotus, mostly because it's "trapped" behind my motorcycles in the garage, and when I take it out it's for canyon carving mostly.

San

IMG_1635.JPG

·
Registered
517 Posts
We both love them, as did the Bridgestone engineer with whom I spoke. BUT, discontinued.
Didnt realise they were also discontinued. I went with those after finding the AD07s were discontinued (could only find them for $300odd ea). The RE71r were $150ea.

I would get 5kmiles out of them (same as the AD07). Probably get 7k if you dont drive like a maniac.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Yes, the A052 is available in LSS sizing in the US now. I don't know why anyone would still buy the A048.

A052 is very similar to RE71R, which has been the benchmark for streetable competition tires for years and is NOT discontinued. It just won't show up in a search for stock sizes, as it requires going to 205 in front. (Specifically, 205/45-16 for the original 6.5" LSS wheels and 205/50-16 for the later 6.0" wheels.)

Regarding rain, both work well in the wet, but like any tire need enough remaining tread depth to deal with standing water.

They're very aggressive for street use. From personal experience, A052 is not quite as harsh or noisy, whereas RE71R has slightly sharper handling. A052 costs more, but RE71R heat cycles out faster (i.e. loses grip with use).

Either is a great match for the Elise/Exige. For a bit more comfort the best available option looks to be the Continental ExtremeContact Sport.

·
Premium Member
1,381 Posts
Bridgestone Potenza RE71-R all the way! Still good in rain. Get that here in South Florida! they last a good amount of trackdays! Toyo R888-R's fantastic dry grip but in this light car I found scary with any rain.
Tommy

·
Premium Member
11,892 Posts
According to the Bridgestone engineer, RE-71 not as good in rain as my beloved RE-11s were.

My notion is that when most ppl get into trouble, it's in the rain.

RE-11s were just terrific in rain, even above 100 mph.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Will be going with the A052's myself in about 2 months time. Reviews seem very positive for them. My car has these terrible all seasons and I can't wait to ditch them!

·
Registered
63 Posts
I'm using Continental ECS on my Elise and love them for the street in stock size on my S260 wheels.

If I had LSS wheels, that's what I'd use on the street.

If I was tracking I'd step up to stickier options, but I'd also would be pushing the car way harder to make use of them. I just don't see myself pushing the car as hard on the streets safely.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts