The Lotus Cars Community banner

21 - 40 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
3,888 Posts
I went with the Toyo R888R in stock sizes for my LSS wheels. I don't drive in the rain and don't put enough miles on the car to wear out the tires before they age out. I'm happy with these over the A048s. The grip is comparable and I feel like they ride quieter, but that may not be a fair judgement since the A048s were old and hardened by the time I swapped them for the Toyos. Plus with my Tubular Ultra exhaust, my car is loud all the time. Maybe I should say that the Toyos feel a little more "comfortable" compared the the Yokos, and the grip is comparable during my canyon carving days. I'd buy them again over the Yokos for whatever that's worth...

·
Premium Member
480 Posts
As many have mentioned, Bridgestones RE-71 are awesome. The issue is the sizing as they don't come in stock sizes. I have the wider cup 240 wheels and use 205/45, 245/40. I love them! You can fit these on the LSS with a little bulge but nothing crazy noticeable. If you don't track, these would work but don't go too crazy with them on those sizes with the LSS. If you are lowered, a little bit of rubbing can happen on hard turns. No rubbing on stock height. I've fit 205, 235 Kuhmos on my LSS with very little noticeable changes on them.

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
Bridgestone potenza re-71r are really good.
I replaced my tires last summer with these and I am a fan. Living in the Seattle area I wanted an aggressive performance summer tire that also had good wet characteristics in case I got caught out in the rain. The old Advans were always a little sketchy in the wet from my experience. From the research I did and others testimony, these fit the bill for me. So another vote for the re-71r's.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I just bought a 2006 Elise that has the Continental Xtreme Contact Sport. The manufacture date is 41st week of 2016. I just looked on Tire Rack and the only tire they have in stock sizes (195/50 16, 225/45 17) is the Continenatl Xtreme Contact Sport.
Where are you guys finding summer-only Yokohama and Bridgestone RE-71 tires for your Elises? Are you using sizes different than OEM?

·
Registered
377 Posts
I just bought a 2006 Elise that has the Continental Xtreme Contact Sport. The manufacture date is 41st week of 2016. I just looked on Tire Rack and the only tire they have in stock sizes (195/50 16, 225/45 17) is the Continenatl Xtreme Contact Sport.
Where are you guys finding summer-only Yokohama and Bridgestone RE-71 tires for your Elises? Are you using sizes different than OEM?
Chester - see post #22 that says they don't come in stock sizes. Some people argue that the Lotus engineers knew what they were doing, so everything should stay stock. Others believe that the engineers had to compromise for the wider audience and that modifications could make the car handle even better. Drive in an Elige with stock shocks and one with Penske or Ohlin shocks and you should figure out stock is not always better. Same with tires as tire technology has changed quite a bit in the past 15 years. If I had a (mostly) stock Elige for street driving, I would probably go with the Continental in the stock sizes. But I my Elise sees a good amount of track time, so I went with the tire brands that I wanted, which happen to be both wider and shorter than stock.

·
Dreaming of Lotus
18 Posts
I live in Seattle and it rains a lot. Previous owner had put Toyo Proxes 4 Plus there. They were old and useless, so not fair to compare. But I have those stock size Continental Xtreme Contact Sport and they are really great for my casual street driving in the rain.

·
Registered
650 Posts
I also live in Seattle and my Elise has been my daily driver for 15 years (though relatively low mileage for that as I worked from a home office for many of those years).
I use Continental Extreme Contact DWS year round. I have a second set of rims mounted with A048 for when I want to track it.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I also live in Seattle and my Elise has been my daily driver for 15 years (though relatively low mileage for that as I worked from a home office for many of those years).
I use Continental Extreme Contact DWS year round. I have a second set of rims mounted with A048 for when I want to track it.
I've also daily driven mine for a few years now and I also run the Conti DWS 06. It's a good all around street tire and is reasonably priced. I usually get around 10K miles out of the rears.

·
Registered
92 Posts
The Tire Rack's tire search is a bit odd. If the tire size pair doesn't have the same speed rating it won't come back as a match even though the sizes are the same.
Try searching for just the front size (since it is a less common size), then see what other sizes that tire comes in.
They actually have at least two Yokohama tires in OEM sizes. Advan sport v105 and A052.
Yes, the RE71r doesn't come in OEM sizes.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
I am on the RE-71's currently. With my TD wheels, I am running .5" wider in the rear and 1.5" wider up front.

I live in Seattle and it rains a lot. Previous owner had put Toyo Proxes 4 Plus there. They were old and useless, so not fair to compare. But I have those stock size Continental Xtreme Contact Sport and they are really great for my casual street driving in the rain.
I had those Toyo's as some "no seasons". No, not a great tire but worked in the colder winter months for our Seattle weather. I left them with Park Place because I didn't want to deal with storing a 3rd set when I switched to summer tires. This winter I garaged the Elise, so didn't bother with swapping.

·
* Acme Super Moderator * ** The Enforcer **
6,895 Posts
Team Dynamics sold by BlackWatch I believe
This is correct. TD wheels were actually OEM for some models. Bear in mind there are cast (1.2), forged (1.4) and Superlight (forged) versions. I used to have the forged TD wheels, but swapped them for the Monolites, which are lighter and have better brake clearance. They (Monolites) are pricier as well.

San

·
Registered
35 Posts
This is correct. TD wheels were actually OEM for some models. Bear in mind there are cast (1.2), forged (1.4) and Superlight (forged) versions. I used to have the forged TD wheels, but swapped them for the Monolites, which are lighter and have better brake clearance. They (Monolites) are pricier as well.

San
Where do one get the super light or are those the 260 spec?

·
* Acme Super Moderator * ** The Enforcer **
6,895 Posts
Where do one get the super light or are those the 260 spec?
The superlight wasn't made when the S260 was released. It's only been around for a couple of years.

I like the symmetry, but even the superlight is heavier than the Monolites, which are available now here (and only there):

San

·
Registered
15 Posts
I'm surprised I've seen mention of the RE71-r's but neigh a mention of the Dunlop Direzza Z3/ ZII starspec etc... A recent tirerack test places them as a within a hair of one another, plus the ZIII is noticeably cheaper than the Bridgestone. I have been pretty happy with them.

I had the Dunlop Direzza on a 2001 Toyota MR2 after having the RE71. In my opinion, on the MR2, the Direzza was nowhere near as good as the RE71.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I had the Dunlop Direzza on a 2001 Toyota MR2 after having the RE71. In my opinion, on the MR2, the Direzza was nowhere near as good as the RE71.
Were those the original Direzzas? It seems the ZIII has come a long way since its first iteration.

·
Premium Member
11,470 Posts
In reality, TR said Direzzas "didn't have enough outright speed to keep up with the best" of the test group.

Moreover, overall rating was only 7.45 vs RE-7iR's 8.05.

June 2019

·
Registered
92 Posts
I'm surprised I've seen mention of the RE71-r's but neigh a mention of the Dunlop Direzza Z3/ ZII starspec etc... A recent tirerack test places them as a within a hair of one another, plus the ZIII is noticeably cheaper than the Bridgestone. I have been pretty happy with them.

My guess is tire size selection mostly keeps people away from these. The 205/50-16 are pretty tall.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

21 - 40 of 44 Posts