The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Scott M
294 Posts
Can't speak to that specific color, but Dr Color Chip has worked well on my silver Esprit and a number of other vehicles.

Heck, they even supplied the right Lotus silver based on me providing the color code when the drop down didn't have what I needed in their pre-loaded list.

Reactions: me73

·
Less is Better
2,700 Posts
Can't speak to that specific color, but Dr Color Chip has worked well on my silver Esprit and a number of other vehicles.

Heck, they even supplied the right Lotus silver based on me providing the color code when the drop down didn't have what I needed in their pre-loaded list.
Second for Dr. Colorchip. Their process yields a much less noticeable repair.

·
Scott M
294 Posts
Might be worth adding a couple tips based on my mistakes along the way...
- Gloved hand smeared better when the glove is tight against my hand. Loose doesn't work well.
- New/fresh paint does work and look better. I've had superior results when not reusing paint from a prior year.
- Dabbing outside the chip didn't always get the paint *in* the chip with the smear. Backup of dabbing directly into the chip works ok, but it looks better for some reason when following their directions closely.
- I only ever needed their small size. It can repair a LOT of chips.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok thanks all... I used the same on my AMG so this looks like any easy decision. I had to send them the code since it wasn’t on a drop down.

I just have a tiny nick on the edge of the door opening into a cinder block wall so easy repair this time.

·
Registered
208 Posts
How well does Dr. ColorChip work for repairing a scratch? I've only used paint pens in the past for touch-ups.

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
This thread is making me feel a lot better about buying the Dr. ColorChip kit to repair a couple of chips on our Model S. 15k miles of basically perfect paint and then 2 huge chips down to the aluminum in 2 weeks. WTF.

Might be worth adding a couple tips based on my mistakes along the way...
- Gloved hand smeared better when the glove is tight against my hand. Loose doesn't work well.
- New/fresh paint does work and look better. I've had superior results when not reusing paint from a prior year.
- Dabbing outside the chip didn't always get the paint *in* the chip with the smear. Backup of dabbing directly into the chip works ok, but it looks better for some reason when following their directions closely.
- I only ever needed their small size. It can repair a LOT of chips.
Any other advice? I'm going to fix my chips in a few days and I have no idea what I'm doing.

·
Scott M
294 Posts
This thread is making me feel a lot better about buying the Dr. ColorChip kit to repair a couple of chips on our Model S. 15k miles of basically perfect paint and then 2 huge chips down to the aluminum in 2 weeks. WTF.

Any other advice? I'm going to fix my chips in a few days and I have no idea what I'm doing.
I think that pretty much covers it as following their directions works well. Only other thing might be to not worry much about using an excess of paint. While I'm not suggesting you hose each chip down, I am saying that 3rd step removes all the excess quite well: moderate pressure, nothing harsh.

If you have an out of the way one you can start with to get the hang of the process, that's probably a good idea. Definitely wait a couple minutes before the final step. When I've gone at it too soon, I can take off too much of the paint I *want* to remain.

It's going to look rediculous after smearing the blob of paint. Don't sweat it. That's just temporary. :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts