The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking to retire to Florida in a few years... and plan to track my car as a hobby (don't golf... yet).

Are there any good, accessible and affordable tracks that I should "secretly steer" our location towards?

I am expecting to lose elevation changes in any case :(

·
He's on fire!
3,292 Posts
Not a resident but Sebring and Miami come to mind

·
Registered
282 Posts
There's Sebring (my favorite in Florida) there is also PBIR in Palm Beach (formerly MOROSO), Homestead Speedway in South Miami and Daytona International Speedway, in well you guessed it, Daytona.

·
Premium Member
1,339 Posts
Sebring is a fun track but it is also one of the roughest tracks that you will ever run. Your suspension maintenance will be considerably increased.
Later,
Eldon

·
Registered
149 Posts
I absolutely love Sebring myself. Homestead Miami is second followed by Daytona. I haven't run at PBIR or FIRM so I can't comment on those but I know FIRM is super tight with lots of concrete walls and minimal run off.

·
Registered
418 Posts
My group is going to the Firm in February. I don't mind super tight but concrete walls and minimal run off is worrisome. Looking at youtube, it looks like only 1 section has a hard wall that is really in play. Has anyone driven it?

·
Premium Member
1,339 Posts
@Ryan_G what makes Sebring so attractive? It is basically 5 straightaways with some corners between them be it that not all of the straights are actually straight.

Later,
Eldon

·
Premium Member
1,339 Posts
My group is going to the Firm in February. I don't mind super tight but concrete walls and minimal run off is worrisome. Looking at youtube, it looks like only 1 section has a hard wall that is really in play. Has anyone driven it?
Stan,

Which group are you tracking with at FIRM?

Later,
Eldon

·
Registered
418 Posts
Stan,

Which group are you tracking with at FIRM?

Later,
Eldon
Eldon,
Just Track It. They generally do Road Atlanta, Atlanta Motorsports Park, Barber and Roebling Road, but they will do the Firm for the first time in February to try something different and hopefully have a little warmer weather to drive in.

Stan

·
Registered
282 Posts
Sebring is a very fast track with a lot of history, I believe its the oldest running track in the US. the straight was a WW2 landing strip that was left left intact and you definitely feel the separations as you go down followed by a fast left then slowing down to a more technical section. It has both fast turns and technical tighter turns. As stated, it is very hard on suspension component and tires as well as cooling and brakes. As an ALMS fan I have appreciation and respect for that track as 12HRS of Sebring is one of my favorite to watch.

·
Premium Member
1,339 Posts
Sebring is a very fast track with a lot of history, I believe its the oldest running track in the US. the straight was a WW2 landing strip that was left left intact and you definitely feel the separations as you go down followed by a fast left then slowing down to a more technical section. It has both fast turns and technical tighter turns. As stated, it is very hard on suspension component and tires as well as cooling and brakes. As an ALMS fan I have appreciation and respect for that track as 12HRS of Sebring is one of my favorite to watch.
I have driven the track and I am aware of the history behind it. I have destroyed my suspension bearings at the track. Of all of the tracks that I have driven, I just wouldn't put it any where near the top of my list. I also wouldn't call it a "Very Fast" track as there are several tracks that I have had higher terminal velocities at. Now, I would say that you have to be willing to hold the throttle to the floor through several of the straights that are not straight.

Later,
Eldon

·
Premium Member
1,339 Posts
Eldon,
Just Track It. They generally do Road Atlanta, Atlanta Motorsports Park, Barber and Roebling Road, but they will do the Firm for the first time in February to try something different and hopefully have a little warmer weather to drive in.

Stan
Stan,

I'll be at Road Atlanta that weekend with Chin Track Days. Make sure you let us know what you think of the track.

Later,
Eldon

·
Registered
149 Posts
I just really enjoy Sebring for some reason. It's my home track and the first one I drove on so I am sure there is some bias in my judgements. I really enjoy large sections of the track like turn 1-5 and then 10-15. The front and back straight aren't particularly interesting but turn 17 is very interesting because there are many different lines you can take and it's kind of a hard one to learn initially. The constant surface changes and mid corner bumps also add another layer of excitement to the mix. I just feel like turning a REALLY fast lap at Sebring takes a lot of refinement and a well setup car.

On the other side of the coin I really don't care for Dayton much at all. It was cool to drive once and experience the high banks but the infield is not particularly interesting and seems like mostly an afterthought. The only part of that track that I really enjoy is the bus stop. The high banks also lose their charm after the first session. You are just sitting at full throttle forever without much drama.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I was at PBIR for an AMG event years ago... it was ok, good run off, one wall on straight away to worry about. Not sure how expensive is it since it’s near Palm Beach though.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Oh that place. I didn't know that was its name.....never been there and have had little interest to do so in a Formula Continental. I know that the local SCCA Auto-X people and occasionally the Martin Sports Car Club people have had events there. I'm sure it would seem better to them than a large parking lot.
Homestead - lots of fun, a little "point and shoot" [so braking will be paramount] other than running the North banked turn, turn one there is sort of like a mini-turn-one-Daytona, a great facility, "the bowl"
PBIR - I wonder how many more times the NHRA will ruin the course for sports car people? Years ago turns 8 and 8a separated the men from the boys....at least I can say I have taken them flat out. Used to go all the time, I haven't been there in a few years since new owners and about the third time they chopped up the course to placate the drag strip world. I do hope it's not so obviously some place out in the swamp as it used to be.....but it's still out in the swamps. You should go simply because it's a track to be experienced.
……..more later...…...running out of time

·
Registered
432 Posts
Sebring 'short' or Club' course - again a point and shoot course but a really really great challenging venue. You virtually never relax, so be in shape....and your brakes. I won't tell you here which corner is an obvious 'throw-away' corner but I've beat many others by taking that approach to it. A little off camber stuff. The carousel entry will force you to make the car dance under you by turning in different directions while under braking the whole time. A lot of concrete to really get some stick out of your tires. You should break 1:20. I have 2 now-retired short course track records, so of course I like the place. Like a lot of other places > use the berms.
….later.....

·
Registered
11 Posts
Have not driven any other tracks besides Sebring. Still enjoying it almost two years later. There is quite a bit to learn and its never the same experience. Taking the lotus out on the 5th with Chin.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I live in Orlando which puts me less than an hour from Daytona, two and a half from PBIR and and hour and a half from Seabring. For when you are "secretly steering" your retirement search. Access to I4 and the Fl Turnpike makes it pretty easy to get where you want to be. Moroso / now PBIR was the first track I ever raced, some 25 plus years ago so I'm partial to that track. There's also Jennings and Roebling Road to the North, just jump on I4 to 95 and you are there in a few hours as well.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts