The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Modern Day Hippie
3,839 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just curious what you guys recommend. I haven't driven the car in a week and am worried if I keep it up the battery will discharge. I haven't even had time just to start her and let her run. I'm not looking to spend a fortune and I also will need to get at least a 50 foot long extension cord as the nearest outlet is around a few other cars. Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
Mine's called a "Schummacher Speed Charge". 3 Amp. I think it was around $50 from Autozone.

It has three adapters to attach to the car;
- Croc clips
- thro' the lighter socket
- 'flying leads' that screw onto the battery terminals.

I choose the latter and simply plug in the charger to the flying leads when I park up.

It is a trickle charger with an auto cut-off, so you can just leave it plugged in as long as you like.

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
3,405 Posts
I use the Deltran Battery Tender. It conditions the battery as well as keeping it fully charged. My Elise is a daily driver except in the winter time, when it sits for short periods (up to a week). My Fiat comes out only now and then and its Battery Tender keeps it perfectly ready to go.

Batterytender.com - Home of All Your Charging Needs

Here's where I found mine (at a very reasonable price)

Dunlop tire, agv helmets, bridgestone motorcycle tires, avon motorcycle tires, tourmaster

you could also go with the "junior" version. Most folks think that will work just fine.

Tom

·
www.theapexinn.com
11,687 Posts
Battery Tender Jr... been using it for 3+ years....not a problem.

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
Just curious what you guys recommend. I haven't driven the car in a week and am worried if I keep it up the battery will discharge. I haven't even had time just to start her and let her run. I'm not looking to spend a fortune and I also will need to get at least a 50 foot long extension cord as the nearest outlet is around a few other cars. Thanks in advance for your suggestions.
Don't worry if you haven't driven the car for a week. The OEM battery on my car can last at least 2 weeks without start, no problem. But if you don't drive for more than 2 weeks, then you need it.

See my post below

http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f129/how-long-can-oem-battery-last-31179/

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
+1 for what tom said, and kestral.
i use the battery tender jr for all my cars.
its great.
find them cheap on ebay and amazon.
+2

I use them on my boat, Lotus, and dirt bikes :up:

·
Registered
331 Posts
Mine goes dead after 5 days. Battery Tender Plus from Battery Mart solved the problem. Plugs in either to regular wall socket or electrical outlet in car.

·
Registered
4,221 Posts
So, Sorinne, what's it like not having to drive for a week? :) BTW, even a Braille will do fine at that rate. Much longer, maybe not so much.

·
Registered
9,273 Posts
I don't think you can go wrong with a BatteryMinder, a Battery Tender or a Battery Tender Jr.

I have the Minder because I found it for some forgotten amount of $ less then the Tender and I got a free battery condition meter with it.

·
Modern Day Hippie
3,839 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks for all your suggestions. I'll have to make a list and see what's available in my area and what the cost and set up is like.

Mine goes dead after 5 days. Battery Tender Plus from Battery Mart solved the problem. Plugs in either to regular wall socket or electrical outlet in car.
That's scary. Maybe I should take it out tonight to make sure it starts.

So, Sorinne, what's it like not having to drive for a week? :) BTW, even a Braille will do fine at that rate. Much longer, maybe not so much.
I'm driving... just something else.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
I will be out of town for about 2.5 weeks.
Is this something I'll need to pick up and hook up the car before leaving?

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
I will be out of town for about 2.5 weeks.
Is this something I'll need to pick up and hook up the car before leaving?
Ideally, yes.

Otherwise you _might_ need to charge your battery (or get a jump start?) when you get home from your trip, if the battery loses it's juice.

But (unless I"m mistaken) it's never ideal to let a battery lose its charge.
as it'll never be the same.

·
Registered
2,875 Posts
I have a smaller battery (see sig) and didnt drive it for 1.5 weeks and it was fine...

but mine was in my garage w/o alarm set... i hear setting the alarm drains tha battery quick

1 - 20 of 44 Posts